U Miami Job Placement in Central/North Florida

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ballboy899

U Miami Job Placement in Central/North Florida

Postby ballboy899 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:45 pm

So Miami is a school that I'm considering for next year and I just had a couple of questions that maybe people who've gone/are going there can help answer. I was wondering what job prospects were like from Miami in places such as, say, Jacksonville and Orlando. I know the ideal school to go to in Florida is UF, but I don't have the numbers to get in there.
And I know how much the Miami job statistics are skewed with only 30% reporting and all of that..I just am curious as to how they place in Central and Northern Florida.

Cmart050

Re: U Miami Job Placement in Central/North Florida

Postby Cmart050 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:48 pm

What is your LSAT? If you can get into UM you should have a decent shot at FSU. I hear from judges and attorneys alike that UM is going downhill fast, and FSU is not only cheaper but should set you up better for north and central Florida.

Edit: Not sure why I put lawyers and attorneys there. They seriously let anyone into law school these days!
Last edited by Cmart050 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:55 pm

Cmart050 wrote:What is your LSAT? If you can get into UM you should have a decent shot at FSU. I hear from lawyers and attorneys alike that UM is going downhill fast, and FSU is not only cheaper but should set you up better for north and central Florida.

158. I applied to FSU as well but I'm not too sure if I'll get in. I guess the reason why I asked about UM is that I've already gotten in there but would prefer to be in those areas of Florida I described before. If I get into FSU that's where I'll probably end up instead of UM.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:03 pm

ballboy899 wrote:
Cmart050 wrote:What is your LSAT? If you can get into UM you should have a decent shot at FSU. I hear from lawyers and attorneys alike that UM is going downhill fast, and FSU is not only cheaper but should set you up better for north and central Florida.

158. I applied to FSU as well but I'm not too sure if I'll get in. I guess the reason why I asked about UM is that I've already gotten in there but would prefer to be in those areas of Florida I described before. If I get into FSU that's where I'll probably end up instead of UM.

That is the better idea. If you want North/Central Florida, the two state schools [FSU or UF] are the best options outside of Emory or Vandy (I know FIU and FAMU are public.... but stay away from them.)

Miami is a bad idea. Barring URM status you're not getting money with that LSAT. This means you'll have high tuition, higher COL than Gainesville/Tallahassee, and limited prospects.

If a) FSU (or UF, if you applied) don't take you and b) you would absolutely prefer North/Central Florida, then maybe the best option would be to try and retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle. A few more points would get you a) a cheaper education, b) a better ranked school, and c) better placement in the area you want.

Cmart050

Postby Cmart050 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Check FSU's admit chart. Anything over a 160 pretty much guarantees you a spot. I wouldn't want to take the test again, but those 2 points make a HUGE difference. Once again, look at the costs. Not to mention FSU is a better school and its proximity to the capital.

Disclaimer, I am in all likelihood attending FSU unless Emory or UF throw the house at me. So much for objectivity.

ballboy899

Postby ballboy899 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:09 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
ballboy899 wrote:

That is the better idea. If you want North/Central Florida, the two state schools [FSU or UF] are the best options outside of Emory or Vandy (I know FIU and FAMU are public.... but stay away from them.)

Miami is a bad idea. Barring URM status you're not getting money with that LSAT. This means you'll have high tuition, higher COL than Gainesville/Tallahassee, and limited prospects.

If a) FSU (or UF, if you applied) don't take you and b) you would absolutely prefer North/Central Florida, then maybe the best option would be to try and retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle. A few more points would get you a) a cheaper education, b) a better ranked school, and c) better placement in the area you want.

Definitely. I wouldn't mind South Florida, but would just prefer central/north. Just wondering though if anyone had any idea on how Miami placed in central/north Florida. I know its not as good as UF and FSU, but do they have much, if any, reach there?

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:21 am

ballboy899 wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:
ballboy899 wrote:

Definitely. I wouldn't mind South Florida, but would just prefer central/north. Just wondering though if anyone had any idea on how Miami placed in central/north Florida. I know its not as good as UF and FSU, but do they have much, if any, reach there?

Hard, empirical, trustworthy (or even school produced) evidence? Nope. A quick glance at UM's "Sample Employers" list (not that I would trust this) but MOST South of the I-4 corridor: Fort Myers-Sarasota-Tampa-WPB-Boca-Ft Lauderhell-Miami and a handful of Tallahassee/NY/NJ/Fed government employment outliers. Anecdotally, most people I know in government and private practice in North Florida who didn't a) move from Georgia/Alabama 20+ years ago or b) go to Emory/Vandy went to FSU and UF.

Of course, you have the ties, so that might help.... But I personally wouldn't want to take a 200k gamble of not being able to work where I want (geographically).

Disclaimer (if it wasn't evident from the handle): FSU UG, out-of-state LS.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”