Prof to write a LOR gravely ill

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BxBob0711
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:33 pm

Prof to write a LOR gravely ill

Postby BxBob0711 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:51 pm

So I've been trying to email my professor for about 2 weeks regarding my LOR and he hasn't responded. Upon calling my college it seems he's taken a leave of absence and he is extremely ill. Regardless of whether or not I get the letter from him I hope he recovers! Now though I only have one solid LOR. He was the only other teacher I developed a bond with and took more than one class with. I took my last class over the summer, got an A, and still have the work I did for that professor. Should I chance writing him and asking him if he can write me one and give him my work to look over to refresh his memory if need be? Many of the schools I'm applying to such as Fordham say LORs aren't necessary but they'll accept up to three. If I just submit my one great one does anyone think that would suffice? Thank you all for reading.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: Prof to write a LOR gravely ill

Postby krad » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:00 pm

BxBob0711 wrote:So I've been trying to email my professor for about 2 weeks regarding my LOR and he hasn't responded. Upon calling my college it seems he's taken a leave of absence and he is extremely ill. Regardless of whether or not I get the letter from him I hope he recovers! Now though I only have one solid LOR. He was the only other teacher I developed a bond with and took more than one class with. I took my last class over the summer, got an A, and still have the work I did for that professor. Should I chance writing him and asking him if he can write me one and give him my work to look over to refresh his memory if need be? Many of the schools I'm applying to such as Fordham say LORs aren't necessary but they'll accept up to three. If I just submit my one great one does anyone think that would suffice? Thank you all for reading.


One letter 'would suffice' if it is all that's required by the school.

I'm curious to see what others say, but my first thought would be:

Look at the number of LORs recommended by the schools (on LSAC they post required/recommended/accepted), not just what's required. Most people will be submitting what is recommended, I'd imagine. If you can get a decent LOR from the mentioned professor, then I would try for it, but if you think it will hold up applications into January, then maybe go without it for now and submit it if you get WL?

I'm sorry about what happened with the original writer, both for his sake and yours :(

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: Prof to write a LOR gravely ill

Postby hokie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

BxBob0711 wrote:So I've been trying to email my professor for about 2 weeks regarding my LOR and he hasn't responded. Upon calling my college it seems he's taken a leave of absence and he is extremely ill. Regardless of whether or not I get the letter from him I hope he recovers! Now though I only have one solid LOR. He was the only other teacher I developed a bond with and took more than one class with. I took my last class over the summer, got an A, and still have the work I did for that professor. Should I chance writing him and asking him if he can write me one and give him my work to look over to refresh his memory if need be? Many of the schools I'm applying to such as Fordham say LORs aren't necessary but they'll accept up to three. If I just submit my one great one does anyone think that would suffice? Thank you all for reading.


I would check to see how many is required, then what is recommended. If your numbers are competitive for a given school, I don't think that lack of a one recommendation from the recommended number will have large grave impacts on your app (you might want to write an addendum though). However, if it is indeed required, I would send a polite email to the professor inquiring about his health/giving best wishes while stating you need an additional application and that you feel that he would be the best judge of your work ethic, academic performance, etc. Another method would be to ask him to fill out a evaluation (it is much simpler and less complications IMO).

Did you take any internships (or WE if out of school)? Having a professional LOR for backup might not be a bad idea.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Prof to write a LOR gravely ill

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:25 pm

I asked this same question before. Most TLSers said if the school recommends 2 but I only come up with 1 it might hurt me...a lot.

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: Prof to write a LOR gravely ill

Postby hokie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:30 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:I asked this same question before. Most TLSers said if the school recommends 2 but I only come up with 1 it might hurt me...a lot.


ooo sorry :( ; was unaware of that. Well then, I'm going to let others respond b/c I really don't have any decisively great answers to give......GL though!

User avatar
theskippa10
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:01 pm

Re: Prof to write a LOR gravely ill

Postby theskippa10 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:34 pm

I would look elsewhere. If he took a leave because he ill, he is probably hospitalized or in a state where he cannot write a letter. And if he did, it probably wouldn't be good. If I was a professor in that situation, and unless the student was my protege or something, the most i would write is a form letter, and if I was in a bad mood even worse.

It sucks for both of you, but on top of the letter probably not being great, its not proper in my mind.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: Prof to write a LOR gravely ill

Postby krad » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:36 pm

theskippa10 wrote:I would look elsewhere. If he took a leave because he ill, he is probably hospitalized or in a state where he cannot write a letter. And if he did, it probably wouldn't be good. If I was a professor in that situation, and unless the student was my protege or something, the most i would write is a form letter, and if I was in a bad mood even worse.

It sucks for both of you, but on top of the letter probably not being great, its not proper in my mind.


This is why I think you should talk to the other professor you mentioned, especially since others are saying 2 letters are pretty much necessary...

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Prof to write a LOR gravely ill

Postby mst » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:52 pm

Do you have an advisers or professional bosses that could step in? I think it's better to have one solid academic and 1 solid involvement/professional letter than to have 1 academic one alone...

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Prof to write a LOR gravely ill

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:53 pm

I had this situation--a LOR writer was sick and I didn't want to bother the prof. I asked another prof to write one instead. I just didn't want to hassle my letter writer. So, in your position, I'd try to ask that other letter writer.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: stewhan and 4 guests