Rescind Acceptance due to lower LSAT??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hokie

Rescind Acceptance due to lower LSAT??

Postby hokie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:47 pm

I will be retaking the LSAT tomorrow but plan on applying to a few more "realistic reach" schools next week and ask them to review my file without my impending retake (where applicable). My question is: In the horrible chance that I may score lower than my Oct score, can any acceptance I may receive prior to my Dec score being released (especially where my lsat/gpa was lucky to get into the first place) be rescinded due to a lower retake? Also, do I need to inform schools of my new score (even after acceptance) when it comes out or will they be notified automatically? I am fairly confident I will improve on my score but just wanted to cover all of my bases just in case......thanks in advance!

glitter178

Re: Rescind Acceptance due to lower LSAT??

Postby glitter178 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:48 pm

hokie wrote:I will be retaking the LSAT tomorrow but plan on applying to a few more "realistic reach" schools next week and ask them to review my file without my impending retake (where applicable). My question is: In the horrible chance that I may score lower than my Oct score, can any acceptance I may receive prior to my Dec score being released (especially where my lsat/gpa was lucky to get into the first place) be rescinded due to a lower retake? Also, do I need to inform schools of my new score (even after acceptance) when it comes out or will they be notified automatically? I am fairly confident I will improve on my score but just wanted to cover all of my bases just in case......thanks in advance!

if you feel like you do worse (after you take it) then cancel. but if you really think you aren't going to do better than your previous score, why take the test at all?

hokie

Postby hokie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:19 pm

I only merely ask to be safe. I am confident that I will indeed perform better, but there have been cases (albeit rare) in which people on TLS have felt that they performed very well and done significantly poorer than expected and vice versa. For me personally, after I took the test in Oct I had a feeling that I bombed it completed (aka <160) since I rushed through the many tail-ends of sections as time was running out. Although I contemplated canceling, I decided just to stick it out (so I can still apply to some schools relatively early), prayed, and I didn't perform AS badly as I thought.

So yes, I think that I will perform better than I did. However, I simply throw the question out to cover all of my bases (b/c if this was the case, I would simply hold off on all applications). Fair enough :D ?

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:23 pm

hokie wrote:I only merely ask to be safe. I am confident that I will indeed perform better, but there have been cases (albeit rare) in which people on TLS have felt that they performed very well and done significantly poorer than expected and vice versa. For me personally, after I took the test in Oct I had a feeling that I bombed it completed (aka <160) since I rushed through the many tail-ends of sections as time was running out. Although I contemplated canceling, I decided just to stick it out (so I can still apply to some schools relatively early), prayed, and I didn't perform AS badly as I thought.

So yes, I think that I will perform better than I did. However, I simply throw the question out to cover all of my bases (b/c if this was the case, I would simply hold off on all applications). Fair enough :D ?

sure. i wasn't being snarky or anything, just wondering. some people on here are like, "i'm going to take the lsat again even though i haven't prepared anymore since i took it the last time" which makes no sense.

hokie

Postby hokie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:44 pm

completely understood :wink: . I only ask this because although I generally PT 170+, I have been dipping into the 160s this week (which I partially attribute to my hectic work schedule) which starts to instill me with [possibly] unwarranted nerves and fears - that's all. It's more of a curiosity than a sincere concern.

Anyways, anybody care to shed some insight?

tgir

Postby tgir » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:51 pm

I haven't heard of any concrete policies about rescinding admissions offers on receiving new, lower LSAT scores. Given how reluctant schools are to rescind in most cases, I doubt that this situation would be any different. That would be especially true for the vast majority of schools, which will give the greatest consideration to your highest score anyway. Only at schools like HYS could I even imagine it mattering at all.

Also, don't worry about a sudden dip into 160's before the test. That's usually just indicative of nerves and/or burnout. Take the day off to relax and go into the test tomorrow confident, knowing that your usual performance (170+) is probably what you should expect.

hokie

Postby hokie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks for the info+boost of confidence! Although I don't plan on scoring any lower (obviously :roll: ), it is assuring news to hear nevertheless.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”