Can I turn in applications without knowing Dec. LSAT score?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ladylawless

Can I turn in applications without knowing Dec. LSAT score?

Postby ladylawless » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:35 am

So I got a 170 on the October LSAT and initially decided to retake in December but then I decided not to. However, I had missed the deadline to cancel registration so I now have to take it again anyway. My question is, can I turn in my applications without knowing my December score? If I don't care about that score, do I have to mention it on the application? Not really sure how to go about this .. I'm basically done with applications and would like to get them out of my sight! Many thanks for any insight.

Cheers!

tgir

Re: Can I turn in applications without knowing Dec. LSAT score?

Postby tgir » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:45 am

A lot of people have asked this elsewhere on the site, so look around for a more thorough explanation.

But basically, the answer is yes. You can send the apps off whenever you want, and as long as you have ONE valid LSAT score on file, schools will complete your applications and start evaluating them. Schools often have specific places on the application where you can inform them that more LSAT scores are in the works, but they'll probably still start evaluating your application anyway.

Once the new score comes in, LSAC will automatically update your reports at every school to which you applied. Depending on when they receive it--i.e. before or after they reach a decision on your file--they may or may not consider it.

So really it comes down to whether or not you want to guarantee that schools will consider the new score. If so, wait a little bit longer.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:48 am

Yeah, different schools have different policies. Two I called this week, for example - UC-Hastings said they don't hold applications, so if you have an LSAT score already, they'll start evaluating immediately. UC-Davis and Loyola both said if you're registered for future tests, they won't look at it. This latter approach seems more common.

tgir

Postby tgir » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:49 am

Also, if you really just do NOT care about the December test, you can just no-show. It won't be considered in any sort of punitive light. There just won't be any other score to report to the schools, so in that case, everything I said in my earlier post would be irrelevant.

On the other hand, given that you've already paid for the test, you might as well go take the test and see how things go. If you finish feeling like you crushed it, well then maybe you'll have improved upon your 170. If you don't have a great feeling afterward, you can easily fill out the cancellation form. Schools won't care that you have a single cancellation on your report.

ladylawless

Postby ladylawless » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:21 am

Thanks, dudes. I'm seriously debating taking the absence since the test is in a different city. So, one last question, say I am planning on taking the absence... do I need to mention the December LSAT on my applications or can I just simply have the October?

Grazie

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:51 pm

take the absence, and email your schools tomorrow morning or tonight ( tonight would be better- so its out before the test) tell them that you are not taking the test, and would like your application to be deemed complete.

if you do nothing, they will patiently wait for your test results to come in, while making decisions on canidates who did not sign up/ or got refunds allready.

you might lose yerrr seat

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”