Worst schools in terms of scholarships?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iWayneState

Worst schools in terms of scholarships?

Postby iWayneState » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:42 pm

I noticed on LSN that some schools (ie - Villanova, Richmond) are absolutely shit in terms of offering scholarships to applicants with high numbers (above 75/75). Does anyone have any comments on schools that are more generous and some that are not?

Arbiter213

Re: Worst schools in terms of scholarships?

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:20 am

iWayneState wrote:I noticed on LSN that some schools (ie - Villanova, Richmond) are absolutely shit in terms of offering scholarships to applicants with high numbers (above 75/75). Does anyone have any comments on schools that are more generous and some that are not?

Very insightful.

twert

Postby twert » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:29 am

marquette and santa clara are pretty bad.

akili

Postby akili » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:48 am

Oregon doesn't offer much in the way of scholarships. Tuition is pretty cheap though.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:20 pm

Or you have the opposite of this: scholarships with Draconian GPA stipulations. I just received an email from Akron (I'm from Ohio) saying that I would be very competitive for a scholarship of 85% of resident tuition and pay like 3k a year. I looked around and the stipulation is a 3.3 which requires you to rank in like the top 15% or something; something you can't assume because those kids are going to work like crazy. I think these types of schools even worse for bringing people in with enticing money and knowing that a high number will lose them. I would rather pay 11k a year or something at a state school (none in Ohio) than sweat in my sleep over keeping a strict scholarship.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:24 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:Or you have the opposite of this: scholarships with Draconian GPA stipulations. I just received an email from Akron (I'm from Ohio) saying that I would be a scholarship for 85% of resident tuition and pay like 3k a year. I looked around and the stipulation is a 3.3 which requires you to rank in like the top 15% or something. I think these types of schools even worse for bringing people in with enticing money and knowing that a high number will lose them. I would rather pay 11k a year or something at a state school (none in Ohio) than sweat in my sleep over keeping a strict scholarship.

Yeah, Akron is kind of developing a reputation for this, I think. In their defense, they're at least very up-front about what a 3.3 translates into. Where a lot of people get hurt is the less informed folks who don't realize how difficult it is staying in the top 15% of the class. They think, hey - i was in the top 10% of my graduating class when I majored in History, so this should be doable. So at least Akron is pretty transparent; they just end up screwing over the people who don't have the initiative to see how difficult maintaining a high ranking will be.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”