Last Year's Numbers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CSCS Trainer

Last Year's Numbers

Postby CSCS Trainer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:35 pm

Looking at a school's numbers for Apps/Admit, if a school admitted between 68 - 82% of applicants with your same LSAT & GPA numbers, should you feel fairly confident of being admitted this cycle?

glitter178

Re: Last Year's Numbers

Postby glitter178 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:35 pm

CSCS Trainer wrote:Looking at a school's numbers for Apps/Admit, if a school admitted between 68 - 82% of applicants with your same LSAT & GPA numbers, should you feel fairly confident of being admitted this cycle?

you should feel between 62%-82 % confidence.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:36 pm

CSCS Trainer wrote:Looking at a school's numbers for Apps/Admit, if a school admitted between 68 - 82% of applicants with your same LSAT & GPA numbers, should you feel fairly confident of being admitted this cycle?

yes with two caveats:
1) they may be trying to increase their medians this cycle
2) that percentage includes URMs

CSCS Trainer

Postby CSCS Trainer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:37 pm

glitter178 wrote:

So I lose 6% confidence this year? :)

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:40 pm

CSCS Trainer wrote:
glitter178 wrote:

So I lose 6% confidence this year? :)

lol oops.

Perch

Postby Perch » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:03 pm

howd you even get these numbers?

Dex

Postby Dex » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Perch wrote:howd you even get these numbers?

Probably by searching his #'s range on LSN for a specific school in the 2009-2010 application year.

I would make sure to exclude any URM (or international and traditional students if you are straight out of UG) and I would also check the application sent dates on some of those who got rejected/waitlisted. Often those who apply late have worse cycles than expected (although the rejects/wls with your numbers don't necessarily have to be late applicants).

CSCS Trainer

Postby CSCS Trainer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:46 pm

I was looking at ABA data, sorry I combined %'s into a general statement. So one school I applied to admitted 68% of applicants with my gpa/lsat, and another school I applied to admitted 82% in the same range. I generalized in my question.

Is there anywhere that has this data broken down even further to exclude URM - besides LSN, of course? I'm a non-traditional applicant ( 34 years old ), have some softs like a master's degree, over 12 years full-time work experience, regional management experience for a large publicly traded company ( responsible for the training of over 400 employees and $million+ annual sales goals ), etc.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:04 pm

CSCS Trainer wrote:

I was looking at ABA data, sorry I combined %'s into a general statement. So one school I applied to admitted 68% of applicants with my gpa/lsat, and another school I applied to admitted 82% in the same range. I generalized in my question.

Is there anywhere that has this data broken down even further to exclude URM - besides LSN, of course? I'm a non-traditional applicant ( 34 years old ), have some softs like a master's degree, over 12 years full-time work experience, regional management experience for a large publicly traded company ( responsible for the training of over 400 employees and $million+ annual sales goals ), etc.

Well your chances are going to be some % better if you can give the admissions people a good reason why you want to attend law school. It is still numbers driven but as long as you are in a school's range you should be a very competitive applicant. You can choose non-traditional applicant on LSN to get some idea.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”