Letter of Continued Interest???

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
irenic

Letter of Continued Interest???

Postby irenic » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:23 pm

I've been told that if you are waitlisted by a school then it is a good idea to compose a "letter of continued interest" informing them of your desire to still attend the prospective school. I had not heard of this before. Could anyone shed some light on this if they've got any info? I'm kind of skeptical it would make any difference but would gladly send one if it does accomplish anything positive. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

northwood

Re: Letter of Continued Interest???

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:40 pm

its an essay that tells the school why you want to go there ( programs, locatoin, reputation, family ties, etc) why its a great fit for you, and why you will make the school a better place for your fellow classmates. You are trying to convince them that you are better than your lsat and gpa would indicate, or if you are way above the 75% for both lsat and gpa, why you are a serious canidate ( and they are not a super safety- and you will only go if you get a full ride with no strings, and no other good deals anywhere else). Its a way to telll them that you are serious and would love to be there, and you want to be there in the fall.

irenic

Postby irenic » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:42 pm

northwood wrote:its an essay that tells the school why you want to go there ( programs, locatoin, reputation, family ties, etc) why its a great fit for you, and why you will make the school a better place for your fellow classmates. You are trying to convince them that you are better than your lsat and gpa would indicate, or if you are way above the 75% for both lsat and gpa, why you are a serious canidate ( and they are not a super safety- and you will only go if you get a full ride with no strings, and no other good deals anywhere else). Its a way to telll them that you are serious and would love to be there, and you want to be there in the fall.

Is it a good idea to write one if waitlisted? FWIW, the letter sent to me from them didn't mention that something like that as being helpful. It did say that addition LOR would not help.

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:43 pm

Not sure if it really does anything substantially significant. But everyone else is doing it, so just in case it does, you should do it too!

I sent LOCI to all the schools when I applied last year. Got rejected to some and accepted to others. No concrete evidence that it was a deal maker or breaker. Again, just send one in, it doesn't hurt and it might help.

irenic

Postby irenic » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Norwood wrote:Not sure if it really does anything substantially significant. But everyone else is doing it, so just in case it does, you should do it too!

I sent LOCI to all the schools when I applied last year. Got rejected to some and accepted to others. No concrete evidence that it was a deal maker or breaker. Again, just send one in, it doesn't hurt and it might help.

Do you mail it to them directly I assume? Did you say anything to the extent that the prospective school is your "top choice" or simply explain why it is such a good fit for you?

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:52 pm

How bad do you want to go there? If its a top contender- then I would write it. If its a safety, or a school that you're not so sure about, then dont write one.

irenic

Postby irenic » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:55 pm

northwood wrote:How bad do you want to go there? If its a top contender- then I would write it. If its a safety, or a school that you're not so sure about, then dont write one.

It was a big reach and I was expecting to be denied. Therefore, I would be psyched to go there if I were accepted.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:56 pm

then write one. If you search you can find some good ideas to write about. If not, maybe write about why you like the school, how it can help you, how you can be an asset to the school, what it is about the school that you liked, why you want to go there, etc.

irenic

Postby irenic » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:59 pm

northwood wrote:then write one. If you search you can find some good ideas to write about. If not, maybe write about why you like the school, how it can help you, how you can be an asset to the school, what it is about the school that you liked, why you want to go there, etc.

Gotcha, thanks for the help. Is a single page double spaced appropriate for the length?

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:13 pm

1 to 2 pages double spaced. If you get to one page, and feel as though you cant write any more without it sounding less than genuine, then stop. 2 pages max.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”