Can I defer

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CanadianWolf

Re: How to Defer (Penn)

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:16 pm

The Penn ED contract may be interpreted as requiring matriculation for that admissions cycle since the ED application & admission apply to only that particular cycle. On the other hand, Penn Law School should know how to draft a tighter ED agreement if it did not want the flexibility of offering deferments.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:18 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The Penn ED contract may be interpreted as requiring matriculation for that admissions cycle since the ED application & admission apply to only that particular cycle. On the other hand, Penn Law School should know how to draft a tighter ED agreement if it did not want the flexibility of offering deferments.

Meh, one could reasonably infer from their FAQ that deferrals are routinely granted for a variety of reasons, and that ED commits one to the school but not the particular year.

silly101

Postby silly101 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:18 pm

deferring has been on my mind during the app process
obv my first choice is to go to law school and for that matter, Penn

i was merely asking a question of if i can defer, if it's even a possibility. if the answer is no, then i wont even try and it's not worth it to loose out on Penn

no need to attack or question my ethics or whatever

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:19 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The Penn ED contract may be interpreted as requiring matriculation for that admissions cycle since the ED application & admission apply to only that particular cycle. On the other hand, Penn Law School should know how to draft a tighter ED agreement if it did not want the flexibility of offering deferments.

Deferment is discretionary, so the contract doesn't have to tighter. They can just deny the request. I couldn't care less what Penn decides to do, it's their policy and they uphold it however they want. I was only questioning/commenting on OP's intentions and conduct.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:21 pm

silly101 wrote:deferring has been on my mind during the app process
obv my first choice is to go to law school and for that matter, Penn

i was merely asking a question of if i can defer, if it's even a possibility. if the answer is no, then i wont even try and it's not worth it to loose out on Penn

no need to attack or question my ethics or whatever

Some people judge ethics by the intention, not solely by the outcome. But fortunately I don't run a law school...

aesis

Postby aesis » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:21 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:ITT: Applicant uses ED to game the system due to being a splitter. Realizing it worked, they now want to defer a year (having already won acceptance = no more LSATs, studying, stress etc.) This way, while they planned to work for a year when they graduated (using their undergraduate "free time" to study for the LSATs and apply to schools), they used ED to their advantage through an increased chance of admission.

Basically, they exploited the ED system. But in order for their scheme to work out, they need UPenn to allow them to defer.

Edit: GRRRRRAMAR

Nice troll, dude.
Tons of splitters ED. It's not exploitation -- ED = no scholarship bidding. I believe OP merely stated that she was thinking about possible deferral options and was inquiring about the implications given her decision to ED. Just because you're ED you can't defer to do something before you go? Above poster RE UVa makes me think this is not unethical.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:22 pm

You shouldnt ask here, just call and ask without giving your name. No way it will hurt you. Even if they know who you are just tell them that if not you will definitely attend in the fall. This whole convo is just dumb

Postby 005618502 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:25 pm

aesis wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:ITT: Applicant uses ED to game the system due to being a splitter. Realizing it worked, they now want to defer a year (having already won acceptance = no more LSATs, studying, stress etc.) This way, while they planned to work for a year when they graduated (using their undergraduate "free time" to study for the LSATs and apply to schools), they used ED to their advantage through an increased chance of admission.

Basically, they exploited the ED system. But in order for their scheme to work out, they need UPenn to allow them to defer.

Edit: GRRRRRAMAR

Nice troll, dude.
Tons of splitters ED. It's not exploitation -- ED = no scholarship bidding. I believe OP merely stated that she was thinking about possible deferral options and was inquiring about the implications given her decision to ED. Just because you're ED you can't defer to do something before you go? Above poster RE UVa makes me think this is not unethical.

There is a difference between being unethical and doing what is best for your situation. Some people are just weird esp those going for like 6 degrees :p (you know who you are)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:28 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
There is a difference between being unethical and doing what is best for your situation. Some people are just weird esp those going for like 6 degrees :p

People enter into agreements/contracts that they don't want to keep all the time, bugs the heck out of people who do.

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

Postby Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:29 pm

OP, congrats!! Your best option is to call or email Penn, preferably anonymously, and find out for sure.
Also, I don't think that it's unethical that you are considering deferring even though you signed an ED contract. It's clear that you still intend to attend Penn, you just want to know whether or not you are allowed to spend a year before law school doing something else.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:31 pm

r6_philly: I am in total agreement with your sentiments. I think that the OP is gaming the system since she was not a strong candidate for RD based on her low GPA & has no current job awaiting her.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aesis

Postby aesis » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
There is a difference between being unethical and doing what is best for your situation. Some people are just weird esp those going for like 6 degrees :p

People enter into agreements/contracts that they don't want to keep all the time, bugs the heck out of people who do.

Your qualm is unwarranted given that she will abide by the contract following her 1-year deferral anyway, unless there's something explicit here in the contract saying she must attend the following year.

MEH. NBD, just ask.
And Congrats to OP!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:35 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:r6_philly: I am in total agreement with your sentiments. I think that the OP is gaming the system.

Thanks. Just to clarify, I did not say it was wrong. I said I don't like it. It's my personal sentiment, and it isn't going to change just because other people agree or disagree with it.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:37 pm

Mrs. Jack Donaghy wrote:OP, congrats!! Your best option is to call or email Penn, preferably anonymously, and find out for sure.
Also, I don't think that it's unethical that you are considering deferring even though you signed an ED contract. It's clear that you still intend to attend Penn, you just want to know whether or not you are allowed to spend a year before law school doing something else.

I'm on R6's side, and everyone's allowed to have their own opinons on this sitch.

Everyone is allowed to spend a year before law school doing something else. It's called taking a year off and applying when you're ready. It's one thing to defer for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread, but it's different to go into it thinking you'd like to take a year off and find a job, but to then apply ED and potentially take a very eager applicant's spot. /rant

In summary, call or email the school. Good luck whatever you decide, but honestly, why wait a year to start at Penn.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:r6_philly: I am in total agreement with your sentiments. I think that the OP is gaming the system.

Thanks. Just to clarify, I did not say it was wrong. I said I don't like it. It's my personal sentiment, and it isn't going to change just because other people agree or disagree with it.

+1

$1.99

Re: Can I defer

Postby $1.99 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:39 pm

i would use someone else's phone to call, they may have caller id and track you down to the number you put on your application

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:42 pm

aesis wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Your qualm is unwarranted given that she will abide by the contract following her 1-year deferral anyway, unless there's something explicit here in the contract saying she must attend the following year.

MEH. NBD, just ask.
And Congrats to OP!

This is the second sentence in the contract. I think as a reader I infer what the program is for.
"
This program allows candidates with a strong, committed interest in Penn Law to apply during the fall of the year prior to matriculation and to receive a decision on their applications in December of that same year.
"

If I am interviewing to hire a new person, and that person comes in and tells me I will start next Monday. Then I call everyone else to say I already hired someone, then that person tells me, "wait I really want to go on a trip can I start a month from Monday", how do you think I would feel about that person. It's not binding, he is still committed. But as an applicant I would never pull something like that.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:43 pm

$1.99 wrote:i would use someone else's phone to call, they may have caller id and track you down to the number you put on your application

Also try and disguise your voice. Faking an accent sounds like a good idea OP.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:43 pm

BTW I had to take 2 professional ethics class in UG. This is not cool in a professional setting. Don't agree to something if you have doubts about it. Maybe they teach that in law school?

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:44 pm

$1.99 wrote:i would use someone else's phone to call, they may have caller id and track you down to the number you put on your application

Payphone?

silly101

Postby silly101 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:45 pm

alright. this started something way too controversial for what i intended.
i had a question, thought TLS was a good place to ask.
i would prefer not to get attacked

thanks for all your replies. i'll choose what to do and won't mention it here anymore.
Last edited by silly101 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:46 pm

silly101 wrote:i would prefer not to get attacked

Let this be a lesson for your future work place. :P

I said good luck and I was sincere.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”