Can I defer Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
silly101

Bronze

Can I defer

Post by silly101 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:44 pm

Got into Penn this morning

How do I defer? I would really like to work in DC for a year (I worked there this past summer and loved it)
I will start looking for opportunities over winter break

Is Penn usually pretty lenient on allowing people to defer?
Also, since im ED, does that affect things?

Any information is much appreciated!
Last edited by silly101 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Law Sauce

Silver

Re: How to Defer (Penn)

Post by Law Sauce » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:45 pm

look it up. many schools ED=can't defer

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:48 pm

call the admissions office (don't give your name) and simply ask them "can an applicant who is accepted ED still apply to defer admission for one year?" because that is probably the easiest and most helpful way to find out.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Did your circumstance change between you applying for admission and today? Because when you fill out your ED contract you basically contractually agreed/promised to attend if admitted. That's probably why many school don't grant deferrals to ED admits. Unless you literally had something different happen between when you got the call and now that make you can't attend.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:23 pm

You may have to give up your acceptance & go to the RD round if you want to defer an ED admit. Some may think that you gamed the system by applying ED & then attempting to defer without significant compelling reasons such as receiving a Rhodes scholarship or the grave illness of a close family member.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gambelda

Bronze

Post by gambelda » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Also, I just want to point out that you don't ye have a job. So do you really want to defer without having a job and risk not finding one? I work in DC now and I know there are jobs available, but I'm just saying you should probably prioritize getting a job first - then you can claim issues changed and you have a job that can provide you more experience and allow you to bring more to the school when you come back in a year.

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:05 pm

thanks for all your responses

when is the deadline to request for deferral? i plan on asking for deferral after ive received a position or have something more concrete

i definitely want to attend penn, but just want to take some time off and work back in policy again

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:12 pm

silly101 wrote:thanks for all your responses

when is the deadline to request for deferral? i plan on asking for deferral after ive received a position or have something more concrete

i definitely want to attend penn, but just want to take some time off and work back in policy again
I'm curious: Why did you apply this year (let alone ED) if you knew you wanted to take time off?

I second what some of the others are saying about trying to defer without anything concrete set up...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:14 pm

silly101 wrote:thanks for all your responses

Maybe sure that's not the reason you are questing a deferral for.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:16 pm

i am totally fine to go straight into law school as well.
but if i can defer i would like to. more and more people told me the benefits while i was applying

if i ask to defer, they wont rescind right?

and I ED'd because im a huge splitter

and why can't I say that I want to work in policy (once I find a policy job of course)

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:20 pm

silly101 wrote:i am totally fine to go straight into law school as well.
but if i can defer i would like to. more and more people told me the benefits while i was applying

if i ask to defer, they wont rescind right?

and I ED'd because im a huge splitter

and why can't I say that I want to work in policy (once I find a policy job of course)
I'll let the others answer these questions...

Congrats on Penn, though!

/my comments

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:49 pm

I think you should have thought of this before sending in the ED contract: but im not going to lecture you

Call the school anomonously and ask if its possible. Some schools wont grant deferrals unless extreme circumstances ocurred ( birth or death of an immediate family member, a serious illness for you or your family member or being offered a once in a lifetime opportunity like a Rhodes scholarship- which will make you and the school more marketable). So being offered a job may not be strong enough.

See if you can get a job first. If so, then you have to decide what you want to do. If you cant get one soon, then you need to really think it out.

Are you okay with the possibility of becoming an auto-reject from Penn? THey may view this as a slight to them, reject you this year, and reject you next.( this is pure hypothetically speaking)

I would weigh the pros and cons of this decision. How bad do you want Penn? Would you be willing to sit out the year ( and do nothing) be possibly denied from penn next year, and go to another school? Or is penn trully your school?

best of luck. Congragulations on the acceptance, and on the possibility. Sometimes having two great opportunities is a burden. best of luck again.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:50 pm

If you ask to defer, Penn is unlikely to rescind until after you fail to live up to the terms of the ED agreement. With your GPA, you were fortunate to be admitted to Penn, in my opinion, even though you are in a difficult major.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:52 pm

It sounds like they're pretty lenient on granting deferrals, however ED might be a different story.

"Q. MAY I DEFER MY ADMISSION?
If you are admitted and wish to defer your admission, you must submit a written request to the Dean of Admissions stating your reasons for wanting the deferral. One-year deferrals are typically granted for reasons such as work, finances, completion of a graduate program, or extenuating circumstances, such as illness or injury. Two-year deferrals are granted only if you are enrolled in a two-year program such as Teach for America, Peace Corps, or have a military commitment."

http://www.law.upenn.edu/prospective/jd/faq.html#defer

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:53 pm

Does the above apply to ED admissions ? Without an emergency or a near once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, it may be unlikely. From the OP's posts so far, it seems as if he just decided to do something different for a year because he is enjoying Washington, D.C.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:57 pm

silly101 wrote:
I am not saying that's a bad reason, I am saying if you knew you wanted to work in policy if you were able to find a job, why did you apply under a binding admissions program? (that's what they would ask/consider probably).

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:02 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Does the above apply to ED admissions ? Without an emergency or a near once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, it may be unlikely. From the OP's posts so far, it seems as if he just decided to do something different for a year because he is enjoying Washington, D.C.
she*
haha :)

r6_philly wrote:
silly101 wrote:
I am not saying that's a bad reason, I am saying if you knew you wanted to work in policy if you were able to find a job, why did you apply under a binding admissions program? (that's what they would ask/consider probably).
because im a huge splitter
and increased my chances of getting in i think

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:06 pm

FWIW, it doesn't actually say anywhere in the ED contract that you promise to matriculate the following year without deferring.

http://www.law.upenn.edu/prospective/jd ... eement.pdf

I'd say look for jobs now, and if/when you get an offer, contact them about deferring.
Last edited by im_blue on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:07 pm

ITT: Applicant uses ED to game the system due to being a splitter. Realizing it worked, they now want to defer a year (having already won acceptance = no more LSATs, studying, stress etc.) This way, while they planned to work for a year when they graduated (using their undergraduate "free time" to study for the LSATs and apply to schools), they used ED to their advantage through an increased chance of admission.

Basically, they exploited the ED system. But in order for their scheme to work out, they need UPenn to allow them to defer.

Edit: GRRRRRAMAR
Last edited by BrownBears09 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:07 pm

im_blue wrote:FWIW, it doesn't actually say anywhere in the ED contract that you promise to matriculate the following year without deferring.

http://www.law.upenn.edu/prospective/jd ... eement.pdf
haha good to know

so whats the consensus on rescinding? they dont really have grounds to right? I still want to go, just a year later

i guess i'll make a call later...

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:09 pm

You should be totally fine, I did ED to UVA, got in and called and they were totally cool with a year deferral.

I wouldnt worry to much about it

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:09 pm

I don't think they'll rescind just for asking for a deferral, especially with a job offer in hand. However, if they're aiming for a 171 median the following cycle, they may not be willing to grant a deferral.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:09 pm

Email them on some random email account.

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:10 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:ITT: Applicant uses ED to game the system due to being a splitter. Realizing it worked, they now want to defer a year (having already won acceptance = no more LSATs, studying, stress etc.) This way, while they planned to work for a year when they graduated (using their undergraduate "free time" to study for the LSATs and apply to schools), they used ED to their advantage through an increased chance of admission.

Basically, they worked the system. But in order for their scheme to work out, they need to UPenn to allow them to defer.
so i guess everyone who ED is in a way "working the system"
okay fine i did
penn is my top choice, and to increase my chances i applied ED

and FWIW, im fine if I dont get granted a deferral, attending Penn is already what i want

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:15 pm

silly101 wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:ITT: Applicant uses ED to game the system due to being a splitter. Realizing it worked, they now want to defer a year (having already won acceptance = no more LSATs, studying, stress etc.) This way, while they planned to work for a year when they graduated (using their undergraduate "free time" to study for the LSATs and apply to schools), they used ED to their advantage through an increased chance of admission.

Basically, they worked the system. But in order for their scheme to work out, they need to UPenn to allow them to defer.
so i guess everyone who ED is in a way "working the system"
okay fine i did
penn is my top choice, and to increase my chances i applied ED

and FWIW, im fine if I dont get granted a deferral, attending Penn is already what i want
The first paragraph of the ED contract states the program is for application the year before matriculation. So if you knew you wanted a year later, then you should apply ED a year later. No it isn't a violation of the contract, and you probably will get a deferral anyway. Some of us just feel some sort of way that you want to defer the day after you get admitted. Maybe you should have told them the day before and see if you still get admitted. Ethically you... nevermind.

Good luck.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”