Weird situation regarding personal statement Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
samfii

Bronze

Weird situation regarding personal statement

Post by samfii » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:38 pm

Ok I figure I'll ask you guys for advice since I obsessively stalk this forum anyway. So I turned in all my apps in mid nov, and in my personal statement I wrote about how I went to DC two years ago and lobbied for the Dream Act, and at the end I wrote something along the lines of it not being passed to this day. Well, yesterday it was passed! SO. what do I do? Write an addendum? I don't want them to think I'm an idiot or don't know what I'm talking about. Also, maybe the addendum could be kind of a nice little nudge to read my PS so maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing?
What do you guys think?

Triple_Entendre

New

Re: Weird situation regarding personal statement

Post by Triple_Entendre » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Well, it still has to be passed by the Senate, so your statement is still true. I think it'll be fine. :D

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:43 pm

It only passed in the House, not the Senate. From what I have read, it is not expected to pass in the Senate. Even if it does, I think they will understand that what you wrote was accurate at the the time.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:44 pm

I say leave it. They aren't going to have the time to look it up and see if it passed or not and even if they did they would know that it had not yet when you submitted.

I can see how it might sound good to send in an update but Im guessing ad comm goes okay, dont care, dont want to be bothered by all that. It may however be a good strategy if you are showing interest in order to avoid YP or something like that ...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Write an addendum noting that change takes time in addition to hard work, dedication, persistence, clear goals & compromise. This is a chance to show maturity & experience as well as your continuing strong interest in that particular law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fastforward

Bronze

Post by fastforward » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:48 pm

You don't need to do anything, but I like the suggestion of an addendum on the theme of perseverance.

For those reading who have not yet submitted: A transitory situation is surprisingly common in a PS (an illness, a job layoff, a current event such as a war). I advise clients to use a qualifier such as "As of today, . . . ." "As of this writing, . . . ." "Right now, . . . ." etc.

Fingers crossed on Senate passage. All the best to you.
Last edited by fastforward on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samfii

Bronze

Post by samfii » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks for all your quick responses :D I think that maybe if it goes through the Senate then maybe I'll add an addendum to select schools, maybe it can also be like a LOCI I suppose.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:14 pm

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:25 pm

you are fine. When your application was submitted ( and with it your ps) the school had a date on which it recieved it. Im sure your file has the dates it was recieved, gone complete, went under review, and decision renderded. When they check it ( and for the schools taht havent read it yet) and want to see when you wrote/ submitted it, all they have to do is look on the fist page ( or even the page where you dated and e-signed) and they will see that at the time of submission it wasnt passed.

Moral of the story: you dont need to explain anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:42 pm

It hasn't passed until the Senate votes and the President signs.

etown989

Bronze

Post by etown989 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:42 pm

northwood wrote:you are fine. When your application was submitted ( and with it your ps) the school had a date on which it recieved it. Im sure your file has the dates it was recieved, gone complete, went under review, and decision renderded. When they check it ( and for the schools taht havent read it yet) and want to see when you wrote/ submitted it, all they have to do is look on the fist page ( or even the page where you dated and e-signed) and they will see that at the time of submission it wasnt passed.

Moral of the story: you dont need to explain anything.

Was waiting for someone to mention that.

applepiecrust

Bronze

Post by applepiecrust » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:25 pm

Passing the House is big, but doesn't really mean anything. Wait for the Senate (I'd put money on it not passing, tbh, as much as that might suck for many people).
So your statement still stands.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”