Addendum? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bport hopeful

Gold

Addendum?

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:38 pm

So here is my deal.

I have a 3.2/166. I think that my LSAT is more indicative of my abilities (even though this was an under performance for me). After my freshman year, I had a 2.7. Since then I have only had below a 3.4 once, and that was a 3.2. I have mostly landed between a 3.4 and 3.6 since. This seems significant to me, but I don't want to come off as if I am making excuses (even though I think thats what an addendum is). Do you think that it is worth it?

thecilent

Gold

Re: Addendum?

Post by thecilent » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:43 pm

bport hopeful wrote:So here is my deal.

I have a 3.2/166. I think that my LSAT is more indicative of my abilities (even though this was an under performance for me). After my freshman year, I had a 2.7. Since then I have only had below a 3.4 once, and that was a 3.2. I have mostly landed between a 3.4 and 3.6 since. This seems significant to me, but I don't want to come off as if I am making excuses (even though I think thats what an addendum is). Do you think that it is worth it?
Rule of thumb is an addendum should not be used to make excuses; rather, you should be explaining something significant that made you perform poorly.

Was there a reason other than just laziness/freshman drinking/etc. that you actually did so poorly your frosh year? If so, an addendum might be a good idea; if not, just let it be..

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:50 pm

I'm not gunna lie, there was definitely some laziness involved, but really, I just came out of high school unprepared. I had no study habits. It sounds weird, but studying was something that I had to work on.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:53 pm

Yeah. That's the case with lots of people.

You shouldn't write addendum for that.

Just make the rest of your app as strong as possible; and if you realllly underperformed on the lsat: retake.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:58 pm

Yeah I sort of figured that was the way to go with the addendum. As for retaking, I would have to wait a year for law school. Not worth it for me. I'm not confident I would find my way from making a little bit of money for the year to go back to being poor. But I understand why the consensus is retake. I know that for the rest of my life, the number 166 will haunt me. I misread a LG rule. Got all six questions wrong. I don't get LG questions wrong so that was a big blow to my score. Haunt me forever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:59 pm

Ouch. That does hurt.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:10 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Yeah I sort of figured that was the way to go with the addendum. As for retaking, I would have to wait a year for law school. Not worth it for me. I'm not confident I would find my way from making a little bit of money for the year to go back to being poor. But I understand why the consensus is retake. I know that for the rest of my life, the number 166 will haunt me. I misread a LG rule. Got all six questions wrong. I don't get LG questions wrong so that was a big blow to my score. Haunt me forever.
I hope you aren't referring to Oct '10's LSAT. The last game where the two letters had to be AT LEAST a certain distance away from each other...got me too.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:41 pm

RJ127 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:Yeah I sort of figured that was the way to go with the addendum. As for retaking, I would have to wait a year for law school. Not worth it for me. I'm not confident I would find my way from making a little bit of money for the year to go back to being poor. But I understand why the consensus is retake. I know that for the rest of my life, the number 166 will haunt me. I misread a LG rule. Got all six questions wrong. I don't get LG questions wrong so that was a big blow to my score. Haunt me forever.
I hope you aren't referring to Oct '10's LSAT. The last game where the two letters had to be AT LEAST a certain distance away from each other...got me too.
Those are the six questions I am referring to. Good old nurses H and M.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”