How do I request a fee waiver? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crumpetsandtea

Platinum

How do I request a fee waiver?

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:16 am

This is probably a REALLY stupid question, but how do I request a fee waiver? Do I email the school's admissions department? Do I do it through LSAC? Does it just automatically happen based on magical information they receive about me from the FBI?

txadv11

Silver

Re: How do I request a fee waiver?

Post by txadv11 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:21 am

Many people email the school and ask for a waiver. They usually want you to include your LSAT score and GPA. You can get a need-based waiver through LSAC, although I'm not sure how that works.

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:40 am

Definitely possible. I sent requests to four schools - one said yes, one said (nicely) that they don't honor requests, and two told me that they only give need-based requests (but said that if I sent them proof of need then they would grant one). Here's what I used:

Dear Sir or Madam:

My name is x, and I am currently in the process of applying to X Law. Your school is one of my top choices, as I am extremely interested in (blah blah blah). I also hope to have the opportunity to participate in the (blah) as well as to work with Professors x, y, and z, whose extensive knowledge with regards to (blah) seems a perfect fit for my interests.

Unfortunately, however, the cost of applications has proven a heavy financial burden, as I am presently also seeking employment. I am therefore writing to inquire as to whether if I might be considered for a merit-based fee waiver. My information is as follows:

ID: L00000000
LSDAS GPA: x
LSAT (10/10): x

I should note that due to seasonal illness and poor test center conditions my October LSAT score fell several points below my practicing average. I will therefore be retaking the test in December, and I hope my new score will provide a more accurate measure of my aptitude. In the meantime, however, I would very much like to submit my application to X, which is otherwise complete.

To that end, please let me know if I might be eligible a fee waiver, or if I can provide any other information that might be helpful. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:18 pm

THANK YOU GUYS. Maybe I can get some fee waivers!! :D And DOUBLE thanks to amorfati for posting your sample letter. VERY helpful. I'll be emailing admissions dep'ts next year after I re-take!

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:46 pm

No prob. Btw, when I was researching this, others mentioned that it worked for lots of schools they sent it to - one girl even said 6/7 - so I guess it just depends. Not sure which ones you're looking at, but for the record, in my case Georgetown said yes, Cornell said they don't do requests, and BC/BU both only give need-based. If you search the forums, I know there are some threads that attempt to compile how each school handles fee waivers (ie, hidden, request only, need-based only, etc.), so once you get there you might want to check that out.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”