How do I request a fee waiver?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crumpetsandtea

How do I request a fee waiver?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:16 am

This is probably a REALLY stupid question, but how do I request a fee waiver? Do I email the school's admissions department? Do I do it through LSAC? Does it just automatically happen based on magical information they receive about me from the FBI?

txadv11

Re: How do I request a fee waiver?

Postby txadv11 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:21 am

Many people email the school and ask for a waiver. They usually want you to include your LSAT score and GPA. You can get a need-based waiver through LSAC, although I'm not sure how that works.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:40 am

Definitely possible. I sent requests to four schools - one said yes, one said (nicely) that they don't honor requests, and two told me that they only give need-based requests (but said that if I sent them proof of need then they would grant one). Here's what I used:

Dear Sir or Madam:

My name is x, and I am currently in the process of applying to X Law. Your school is one of my top choices, as I am extremely interested in (blah blah blah). I also hope to have the opportunity to participate in the (blah) as well as to work with Professors x, y, and z, whose extensive knowledge with regards to (blah) seems a perfect fit for my interests.

Unfortunately, however, the cost of applications has proven a heavy financial burden, as I am presently also seeking employment. I am therefore writing to inquire as to whether if I might be considered for a merit-based fee waiver. My information is as follows:

ID: L00000000
LSDAS GPA: x
LSAT (10/10): x

I should note that due to seasonal illness and poor test center conditions my October LSAT score fell several points below my practicing average. I will therefore be retaking the test in December, and I hope my new score will provide a more accurate measure of my aptitude. In the meantime, however, I would very much like to submit my application to X, which is otherwise complete.

To that end, please let me know if I might be eligible a fee waiver, or if I can provide any other information that might be helpful. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:18 pm

THANK YOU GUYS. Maybe I can get some fee waivers!! :D And DOUBLE thanks to amorfati for posting your sample letter. VERY helpful. I'll be emailing admissions dep'ts next year after I re-take!

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:46 pm

No prob. Btw, when I was researching this, others mentioned that it worked for lots of schools they sent it to - one girl even said 6/7 - so I guess it just depends. Not sure which ones you're looking at, but for the record, in my case Georgetown said yes, Cornell said they don't do requests, and BC/BU both only give need-based. If you search the forums, I know there are some threads that attempt to compile how each school handles fee waivers (ie, hidden, request only, need-based only, etc.), so once you get there you might want to check that out.

Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”