Georgetown sent my LOR a thank you?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ash8309

Georgetown sent my LOR a thank you?

Postby ash8309 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:33 am

Well, not really to my LOR but to my former boss who sent in an LOR on my behalf. He forwarded it on to me -- seemed like a standard form letter but it was personalized (used my name/his name). I sent all my materials in through LSAC, including all LORs. I'm sure GULC does this for everyone, but just wanted to check if it means anything...

Bildungsroman

Re: Georgetown sent my LOR a thank you?

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:35 am

Apparently GULC sends some recommenders emails saying something like "we can't tell you the decision but be sure to congratulate XXXXXX". I don't think the generic thank you email to LOR writers means anything though.

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:39 am

Hmm, it definitley was not overtly positive, which now makes me think it could be a soft rejection!

"Thank you for submitting a recommendation to Georgetown Law on behalf of X. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on X with our Admissions Committee. Each admissions cycle, Georgetown Law typically receives more applications than any other law school in the country. Our Committee depends upon recommendations to help us get to know who each unique applicant is behind the application. Consequently, your first-hand input is critical in helping our Committee make the difficult decisions we face as we try to assemble our class. Thank you again for your insight and for participating in our admissions process."

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Anyone else receive a similar email or have insight on what it signals, if anything?

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:53 pm

when they sent my recommender one it said i was accepted (they sent it to him 4 days after i got my gtown letter in the mail)

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:59 pm

Yeah, one of my recommenders also got this e-mail. I think it is just a nice way for Georgetown to see if the addresses are real. Nothing to worry about.

TheTallOne0602

Postby TheTallOne0602 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:17 pm

Yeah one of my recommenders got this email about a week after I got in.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:01 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Apparently GULC sends some recommenders emails saying something like "we can't tell you the decision but be sure to congratulate XXXXXX". I don't think the generic thank you email to LOR writers means anything though.

My prof just told me that he got this exact email. He repeated this to me word for word. Problem is that I am still at "complete." Strange...

QuailMan

Postby QuailMan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:21 pm

at least one of my recommenders got this e-mail a couple weeks after I was accepted. It was awkward only becuase it sort of made it seem like I had decided to attend GULC and my recommender is from their undergrad. I had to just say, "well, I'm still waiting for decisions to come in from other schools"

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:33 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Apparently GULC sends some recommenders emails saying something like "we can't tell you the decision but be sure to congratulate XXXXXX". I don't think the generic thank you email to LOR writers means anything though.

My prof just told me that he got this exact email. He repeated this to me word for word. Problem is that I am still at "complete." Strange...

You're in, congrats.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:06 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:

You're in, congrats.

I don't think this means anything. I'm supposedly not even in review. I think it was probably just a standard email.

That would be pretty cool though, GULC is one of my top choices. We'll see...

Buffalo Bill

Postby Buffalo Bill » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:08 pm

I hope it doesnt mean anything. They sent it to my boss yesterday -- one that does not indicate any good news to congratulate me on. But I just had my 2nd status update today. So I am holding out hope that this is just generic for some people.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:25 pm

I'm sure they mean nothing. Just pseudo-personal tidbits to help GULC's reputation.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:24 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:

You're in, congrats.

I don't think this means anything. I'm supposedly not even in review. I think it was probably just a standard email.

That would be pretty cool though, GULC is one of my top choices. We'll see...

You don't go in review on the status checker.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:19 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:I'm sure they mean nothing. Just pseudo-personal tidbits to help GULC's reputation.

The one's that don't say anything about good news are meaningless. The ones that do are not.

loptimist

Postby loptimist » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:25 am

did you guys have an interview??

is it a standard procedure or randomly chosen or for some other reason?

i had been traveling and it had been difficult to meet an alum.

err... so my file has been under review since Oct.... bleh.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:28 am

loptimist wrote:did you guys have an interview??

is it a standard procedure or randomly chosen or for some other reason?

i had been traveling and it had been difficult to meet an alum.

err... so my file has been under review since Oct.... bleh.

It is for borderline applicants. Perhaps try and set up a phone interview with your alumnus/a? The alumnus who interviewed me, was/is out of the country and he conducted my interview by phone.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:10 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

I got in without ever receiving a status checker!

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:11 am

acrossthelake wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

I got in without ever applying!

(You just got topped)

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:12 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

(You just got topped)

Oh snap.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:12 am

acrossthelake wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

(You just got topped)

Oh snap.

Damn girl.

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:13 pm

ash8309 wrote:Hmm, it definitley was not overtly positive, which now makes me think it could be a soft rejection!

"Thank you for submitting a recommendation to Georgetown Law on behalf of X. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on X with our Admissions Committee. Each admissions cycle, Georgetown Law typically receives more applications than any other law school in the country. Our Committee depends upon recommendations to help us get to know who each unique applicant is behind the application. Consequently, your first-hand input is critical in helping our Committee make the difficult decisions we face as we try to assemble our class. Thank you again for your insight and for participating in our admissions process."

My recommender just forwarded me the same message above. Is it really meaningless? I agree that it doesn't sound overtly positive and not sure I understand why they would send some recommenders the "good news" email, others the one above, and others nothing at all.

peterb0y

Postby peterb0y » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:30 am

My recommender straight up congratulated me out of the blue. Without context, I had no idea what the hell was going on, so I asked him what he meant, and then he showed me the letter. What a bizarre thing to do, pretty sure it doesn't mean much though.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:31 pm

christinalsat wrote:
ash8309 wrote:Hmm, it definitley was not overtly positive, which now makes me think it could be a soft rejection!

My recommender just forwarded me the same message above. Is it really meaningless? I agree that it doesn't sound overtly positive and not sure I understand why they would send some recommenders the "good news" email, others the one above, and others nothing at all.

I got this email at the same time I went complete. My recommender figured they're simply trying to verify the recommendation is genuine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”