Schools contacting letter writers AFTER acceptance?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ExpectLess
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Schools contacting letter writers AFTER acceptance?

Postby ExpectLess » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:57 am

So a letter-writing professor of mine was contacted by a T14 school (I'll narrow it: 11-14) after I was accepted. My professor said that he received a "slightly oblique" message from the admissions dean that suggested I might have good news, which makes it sound like it wasn't an automated email. I was surprised that someone contacted him and asked him if that was normal and he said he had never heard of such a thing.

What the heck? Do schools do this? Why would they contact him AFTER I was accepted?

My cycle has been much quieter than I would have liked up until this point and I'm no longer feeling really confident about my application, so this really perplexes me.
Last edited by ExpectLess on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigwillie
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Schools contacting letter writers AFTER acceptance?

Postby bigwillie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:00 am

Georgetown has been doing this for some reason this cycle. Seems kind of weird imo

ExpectLess
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Schools contacting letter writers AFTER acceptance?

Postby ExpectLess » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:01 am

Well that explains it then. I sifted through GULC waiting thread and couldn't find anything about it.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Schools contacting letter writers AFTER acceptance?

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:04 am

I'm not quite sure why Georgetown does this. It would be funny if they send rejection letters to your recommender also though.

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Schools contacting letter writers AFTER acceptance?

Postby T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:07 am

bigwillie wrote:Georgetown has been doing this for some reason this cycle. Seems kind of weird imo

Although that seems weird, just be glad you're in, OP (and congrats)!

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Schools contacting letter writers AFTER acceptance?

Postby Pleasye » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:11 am

ExpectLess wrote:What the heck? Do schools do this? Why would they contact him AFTER I was accepted?

My cycle has been much quieter than I would have liked up until this point and I'm no longer feeling really confident about my application, so this really perplexes me.

Georgetown has been sending a "we can't disclose if X was accepted or not but we think X might have some good news to share with you!" email. They aren't contacting him to ask about you. They're pretty much saying you got in without actually saying it.

ETA: I don't know why this would make you feel less confident about your app.

ExpectLess
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Schools contacting letter writers AFTER acceptance?

Postby ExpectLess » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:20 am

This didn't make me feel less confident, it perplexed me because I was less confident. I'm less confident because my app was somewhat risky and I don't think it paid off as I've yet to hear anything from HSY or Berkeley. But now I know it was Georgetown protocol :)

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7970
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Schools contacting letter writers AFTER acceptance?

Postby Pleasye » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:24 am

ExpectLess wrote:This didn't make me feel less confident, it perplexed me because I was less confident. I'm less confident because my app was somewhat risky and I don't think it paid off as I've yet to hear anything from HSY or Berkeley. But now I know it was Georgetown protocol :)

Oh I see. Well congratulations on Georgetown!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests