question about a civil suit

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kjadkins

question about a civil suit

Postby kjadkins » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:27 pm

I included an addendum with my applications about an alcohol policy violation and, for schools who asked for moving violations, a couple of speeding tickets.

It didn't occur to me today that, technically, a civil suit was filed against me for a car accident in high school. The accident was so minor that the officer who reported to the scene didn't even write me a ticket, it was hardly even a fender-bender and I had just gotten my license. Three years later the other driver filed a civil suit against me, but my involvement in the suit literally consisted of two phone calls with a lawyer, the first with her asking me a ton of questions and the second being her telling me that the case had been settled out-of-court with the insurance company and not to worry about it anymore. So I didn't. And, lo and behold, I completely forgot about it when I was writing my applications.

So my question is, do I need to send in an addition addendum for this? I didn't include the accident in my original addendum because I was never actually given any kind of citation for it. I'm just kind of paranoid that if I don't include absolutely everything that they're going to get me on C&F.

lalalawya

Re: question about a civil suit

Postby lalalawya » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:15 pm

I would send another addendum...there's no point in risking it coming up during the C&F portion of the bar, especially since law schools aren't going to care about it.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:32 pm

I feel like law schools are going to get annoyed with me because I've already sent one post-submission addendum by mail to all of my law schools, or that they'll think I'm forgetful or careless because I keep forgetting things, or that they'll think I'm to obsessive.

I'm thinking about maybe emailing the offices and asking if they need stuff like that reported. That way if they say no and it comes up during C&F I can bring up the fact that the schools told me that I didn't have to report it, and if they say yes I'll just send it.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:38 pm

Just pulled up the C&F questionnaire for VA, they definitely ask about civil suits. But none of my law school apps say ANYTHING about civil suits... On the one hand, I'd rather be safe than sorry, but on the other, they can't exactly say I lied about it or hid it if no one ever asked about it. I'm just so afraid that law schools will look negatively at me if I keep sending additional stuff.

Army2Law

Postby Army2Law » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:46 pm

If the apps didn't request disclosure of civil suits, you don't need to disclose and it won't adversely affect you on C&F. Call if you want to make sure, but it should be unnecessary.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:32 pm

I emailed each admissions office and asked if civil suits need to be disclosed. I'm praying that they say no... I'm really afraid my applications are going to get delayed if I have to send in yet another addendum, I really wanna hear back as soon as possible. At least if they say no, if it comes up in C&F I'll have written proof that they didn't want/need it disclosed.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:07 am

emory just emailed me back (adcomms are really working at 1 a.m.???) that disclosures aren't required for civil suits... hopefully this is a good sign!

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:39 pm

So far 9 of my 11 schools have responded, I've gotten super mixed responses. Five schools told me not to worry about it and four asked me to send an additional addendum. So I'm just going to go ahead and include it in future applications, just to be on the safe side.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”