rejected ED, do I still have a chance?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RickyRoe

rejected ED, do I still have a chance?

Postby RickyRoe » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:31 pm

If I was rejected early decision at a school, what are the chances that I get in regular decision? Early decision is supposed to improve your odds of getting in, so if they rejected me ED does that mean my chances are slim and none. I guess maybe I could get on the waiting list, but is anyone ever admitted after being rejected ED?

Also, any chance the school would let me revise my personal statement before they re-evaluate my application. I was not completely happy with it but I made the decision to turn it anyways so I could make it in time for the ED deadline.

glitter178

Re: rejected ED, do I still have a chance?

Postby glitter178 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:32 pm

RickyRoe wrote:If I was rejected early decision at a school, what are the chances that I get in regular decision? Early decision is supposed to improve your odds of getting in, so if they rejected me ED does that mean my chances are slim and none. I guess maybe I could get on the waiting list, but is anyone ever admitted after being rejected ED?

Also, any chance the school would let me revise my personal statement before they re-evaluate my application. I was not completely happy with it but I made the decision to turn it anyways so I could make it in time for the ED deadline.

if you got rejected, then you got rejected. you didn't get deferred or waitlisted, an ED rejection is the same as an RD rejection. the difference is in acceptances, in that RD is not binding and ED is

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:38 pm

You can't apply RD if you got rejected ED.

RickyRoe

Postby RickyRoe » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:39 pm

I don't know how it works with other schools, but IU takes the rejected applicants and reconsiders them with the first group of regular decision applicants.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:45 pm

RickyRoe wrote:I don't know how it works with other schools, but IU takes the rejected applicants and reconsiders them with the first group of regular decision applicants.

Depends on the school. Some automatically defer all non-accepted EDs to the RD pool for further consideration, while others do accept/reject/WL decisions, while still others do accept/reject/defer to RD.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:48 pm

im_blue wrote:
RickyRoe wrote:I don't know how it works with other schools, but IU takes the rejected applicants and reconsiders them with the first group of regular decision applicants.

Depends on the school. Some automatically defer all non-accepted EDs to the RD pool for further consideration, while others do accept/reject/WL decisions, while still others do accept/reject/defer to RD.

Regardless of what the school's methodology is, your chances look very bad OP. If they didn't want you when they knew they could have you, why would they want you later on? Your chance < 5%.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:50 pm

St.Remy wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Regardless of what the school's methodology is, your chances look very bad OP. If they didn't want you when they knew they could have you, why would they want you later on? Your chance < 5%.

Agree that the chances are very slim, but if one's numbers are close, there's always the small chance that the school was aiming to increase their medians but fell short at the end.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:50 am

RickyRoe wrote:If I was rejected early decision at a school, what are the chances that I get in regular decision? Early decision is supposed to improve your odds of getting in, so if they rejected me ED does that mean my chances are slim and none. I guess maybe I could get on the waiting list, but is anyone ever admitted after being rejected ED?

I think you should revise your PS if it's that bad. If they were not going to reconsider rejected EDs they wouldn't have a policy to include them with the regular batch. It'll only increase your odds.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:53 am

a decision has been made, unfortunately for you, they chose to reject you. Dont bother re sending the PS, re work it and apply to other schools asap

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:35 pm

northwood wrote:a decision has been made, unfortunately for you, they chose to reject you. Dont bother re sending the PS, re work it and apply to other schools asap

If his school indeed does reconsider every rejected ED app with the RD pool, he has another shot (it's sounds similar to an EA Cornell deferral). If you're re-working it anyways, send it in. Cant hurt matters, and can only help. Also include updates (any honors won, fall grades, etc).

You're probably too low for what their aim is as far as medians are concerned, but once their class starts to take shape, they may have room for you at the end.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”