screw NU interview up, is there no chance to get into?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
time_older
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:08 pm

screw NU interview up, is there no chance to get into?

Postby time_older » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:23 pm

AJD applicant. took on-campus interview last week. preform very bad. Frustrated!

I have excellent test grade, GPA (much higher than last year admitted student average )and solid 6 years management working experience. Is there any chance I still can get into?

Thanks!

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: screw NU interview up, is there no chance to get into?

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:25 pm

yes. The interview is important, but not THAT important. Unless you said things like, "I want to be a lawyer so I can defend myself from pedophilia charges."

time_older
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: screw NU interview up, is there no chance to get into?

Postby time_older » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:36 pm

homestyle28 wrote:yes. The interview is important, but not THAT important. Unless you said things like, "I want to be a lawyer so I can defend myself from pedophilia charges."


Thanks. My problem is: I am a international applicant and my spoken english is broken……

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: screw NU interview up, is there no chance to get into?

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:55 pm

time_older wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:yes. The interview is important, but not THAT important. Unless you said things like, "I want to be a lawyer so I can defend myself from pedophilia charges."


Thanks. My problem is: I am a international applicant and my spoken english is broken……


I think that'll help you even more.

gambelda
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:44 am

Re: screw NU interview up, is there no chance to get into?

Postby gambelda » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:16 pm

I speak with a lot of people from the Belgium area who always believe they are terrible at English and really struggle but in fact do quite well. It's just perception because you are comparing your 2nd language to how well you speak in your first or how well a native English speaker does. I'm sure you'll be considered still if your numbers are competitive and you have experience.

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: screw NU interview up, is there no chance to get into?

Postby hokie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:23 pm

time_older wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:yes. The interview is important, but not THAT important. Unless you said things like, "I want to be a lawyer so I can defend myself from pedophilia charges."


Thanks. My problem is: I am a international applicant and my spoken english is broken……


this definitely works in your favor; I'm sure they understand the constraints/difficulties interviewing in your second language. If your numbers are competitive, I wouldn't sweat it

mst
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

Re: screw NU interview up, is there no chance to get into?

Postby mst » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:55 pm

gambelda wrote:I speak with a lot of people from the Belgium area who always believe they are terrible at English and really struggle but in fact do quite well. It's just perception because you are comparing your 2nd language to how well you speak in your first or how well a native English speaker does. I'm sure you'll be considered still if your numbers are competitive and you have experience.


I do too! Same exact story.

time_older
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: screw NU interview up, is there no chance to get into?

Postby time_older » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:31 pm

Thank you guys! you are so nice and comforting. The interview is over. I think I should move on and focus on the rest part of application.

User avatar
furrywalls
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: screw NU interview up, is there no chance to get into?

Postby furrywalls » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:33 am

time_older wrote:Thank you guys! you are so nice and comforting. The interview is over. I think I should move on and focus on the rest part of application.


Now I can picture exactly how you sounded

lshamlet
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: screw NU interview up, is there no chance to get into?

Postby lshamlet » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:47 am

time_older, you'll be fine! I bet you didn't do as badly as you imagined, like another poster said. They will understand that English isn't your first language. Relax and let us know if you get in :)

time_older
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: screw NU interview up, is there no chance to get into?

Postby time_older » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:22 am

lshamlet wrote:time_older, you'll be fine! I bet you didn't do as badly as you imagined, like another poster said. They will understand that English isn't your first language. Relax and let us know if you get in :)



Thank you!

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: screw NU interview up, is there no chance to get into?

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:34 pm

I have a friend who vomited just before her interview due to a hangover and had her interviewer call her out on smelling like booze. Go NU class of 2013!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], goldenbear2020, TriSapien and 4 guests