Computerized LSAT -> Scores from Paper administrations null?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ComatoseClown

Computerized LSAT -> Scores from Paper administrations null?

Postby ComatoseClown » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:34 am

Admittedly paranoid questions:

1. If the rumors turn out to be true and the LSAT soon becomes computer-based, would law schools generally still accept the last few previous paper-based exams?

2. Would the current provision of law schools accepting any LSAT score from 5 years and recent, come to an end, as soon as the test became 100% computer-based? My guess is not immediately. But I'm asking this to make sure I won't be stiffed and grievously ripped off (studying now to take it next June or Oct).

kazu

Re: Computerized LSAT -> Scores from Paper administrations null?

Postby kazu » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:36 am

...Where are these rumors? I highly doubt the LSAT will become computerized anytime soon, if at all.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:27 am

If they won't allow a digital watch there is no way in hell they will ever allow computers. Too many kids are too talented these days and will find an easy way to cheat. Also, think of the disadvantages a computerized LSAT provides. How do you mark a question and come back to it? How do you mark what answers you've eliminated? How do you diagram things since everyone diagrams differently? Going from a pad of paper to computer screen and back would be horrible.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:32 am

gambelda wrote:If they won't allow a digital watch there is no way in hell they will ever allow computers. Too many kids are too talented these days and will find an easy way to cheat. Also, think of the disadvantages a computerized LSAT provides. How do you mark a question and come back to it? How do you mark what answers you've eliminated? How do you diagram things since everyone diagrams differently? Going from a pad of paper to computer screen and back would be horrible.

I think it's more likely the bolded at least would be turned into advantages. I think the easiest solution would be to give scrap paper for the games, and that's something people have been wanting for a long time.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:50 am

Kabuo wrote:
gambelda wrote:If they won't allow a digital watch there is no way in hell they will ever allow computers. Too many kids are too talented these days and will find an easy way to cheat. Also, think of the disadvantages a computerized LSAT provides. How do you mark a question and come back to it? How do you mark what answers you've eliminated? How do you diagram things since everyone diagrams differently? Going from a pad of paper to computer screen and back would be horrible.

I think it's more likely the bolded at least would be turned into advantages. I think the easiest solution would be to give scrap paper for the games, and that's something people have been wanting for a long time.

If they wanted to give you scratch paper for games, they would make the booklets bigger or just leave the facing page blank. They don't want you to have so much space, you will be able to figure out the right answers given enough space. It's more about testing the ability to make mental connections (like in an IQ test).

glewz

Postby glewz » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:03 am

Dunno if this is a legit counter when you compare the LSAT to other popular exams

If the LSAT is a computerized test, the timer would undoubtedly be on the computer; watches would no longer be allowed in testing centers. This is the case for GMAT, GRE, and MCAT testing already.

Also, the 2011 GRE posted that their computerized exam will allow you to return to previous problems, so that is technologically possible.

And the current GMAT has similar logical reasoning + reading comp questions to the LSAT, but give a laminated paper + marker to do any side work. (which negates the last point on diagramming the Logic Games as well)

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:19 am

r6_philly wrote:
If they wanted to give you scratch paper for games, they would make the booklets bigger or just leave the facing page blank. They don't want you to have so much space, you will be able to figure out the right answers given enough space. It's more about testing the ability to make mental connections (like in an IQ test).

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I mean that if they move to a computerized test, the easiest solution for games would be to allow scrap paper. I didn't mean that they were finally going to cave to paper test takers' complaints and provide scrap paper for future paper administrations.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:33 am

When they computerize the test there will probably be other major changes. Watch this: http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=_7_xHsce57c

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:49 am

Kabuo wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I mean that if they move to a computerized test, the easiest solution for games would be to allow scrap paper. I didn't mean that they were finally going to cave to paper test takers' complaints and provide scrap paper for future paper administrations.

I think I didn't express myself clearly. If they move to computerized and provide scratch papers, it would make the games easier. The lack of scratch paper is by design, and it would much harder to control scratch papers if you don't have an booklet to write in. Unless they only allow 1 index card. :lol:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”