What T14 grouping is Berkeley in? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AreJay711

Gold

Re: What T14 grouping is Berkeley in?

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:11 am

Joga Bonito wrote:Y H S CC BN MVP DNC GtownVandyTex
I'll call your idiotic grouping and raise you this (probably less) idiotic grouping.

Y - S - H - V - M - Co - Ch - Nw - P - D - Nyu - V - C - G - Tex - Usc - Ucla

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=108528

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:16 am

AreJay711 wrote:
I'll call your idiotic grouping and raise you this (probably less) idiotic grouping.

I love how you go almost exactly by that list but conveniently ignore the difference between Yale and Stanford and place Yale at top.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:21 am

Desert Fox wrote:Boalt is putting significantly less people in big firms than schools it's supposed to be better than like NU and Duke. 30%? LOL Northwestern beat that by 20%, I'm sure Duke, Virginia and Michigan did too. Penn probably more than that.

It's a Georgetown peer school ITE.
And the TLS obsession with determining a school's placement strength by how much of the class goes to NYC firms (with the notable exception of Stanford and Yale--they get a free pass for not sending a lot of people to NYC firms) continues. Boalt's doing "poorly" in this economy compared to it's peers because the kids who go there by and large have zero desire to work in a big NYC firm. Duke, Penn, and NYU are filled with kids who have had ideas of NYC biglaw in their heads from day one--naturally they have "better" firm placement. This is the same reason why HYS come out "behind" Columbia and NYU in a lot of firm placement studies; but then send way more students to federal clerkships, PI, and prestigious non NYC firms.

If Boalt's anything like UVA, a crap ton of people really really don't want to work/end up in NYC; I'd imagine even more of Boalt's student's don't want to work there actually.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:21 am

if you can get the in state tuition, berkley is a great place to go to. you get a top of the line LS for ~20k a year. agree on pass/fail. i would be surprised if LSAT score came up at interviews -- do people really care? a lot of successful attorneys took it when there was a different scoring system.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:23 am

BruceWayne wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Boalt is putting significantly less people in big firms than schools it's supposed to be better than like NU and Duke. 30%? LOL Northwestern beat that by 20%, I'm sure Duke, Virginia and Michigan did too. Penn probably more than that.

And the TLS obsession with determining a school's placement strength by how much of the class goes to NYC firms (with the notable exception of Stanford and Yale--they get a free pass for not sending a lot of people to NYC firms) continues. Boalt's doing "poorly" in this economy compared to it's peers because the kids who go there by and large have zero desire to work in a big NYC firm. Duke, Penn, and NYU are filled with kids who have had ideas of NYC biglaw in their heads from day one--naturally they have "better" firm placement. This is the same reason why HYS come out "behind" Columbia and NYU in a lot of firm placement studies; but then send way more students to federal clerkships, PI, and prestigious non NYC firms.

If Boalt's anything like UVA, a crap ton of people really really don't want to work/end up in NYC; I'd imagine even more of Boalt's student's don't want to work there actually.
yeah, the fairest measure of how good a school is would be to see how many students who wanted to work in big law were able to get a job in big law. unfortunately, this would be impossible to quantify.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:23 am

I didn't realize that biglaw was the only way to determine ranking

I guess it goes NYHC at the top or something

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:24 am

This is such a stupid topic. Why does this matter to you? Do you think firms, judges, or clients ask what category "B" goes in? Grow the fuck up.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:25 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

I love how you go almost exactly by that list but conveniently ignore the difference between Yale and Stanford and place Yale at top.
Well the link ignores academic so I adjusted lol.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:25 am

justadude55 wrote:if you can get the in state tuition, berkley is a great place to go to. you get a top of the line LS for ~20k a year. agree on pass/fail. i would be surprised if LSAT score came up at interviews -- do people really care? a lot of successful attorneys took it when there was a different scoring system.
in-state tuition will be $49k in 2011 and $52k in 2012.

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6943.htm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:26 am

r6_philly wrote:So where is Berkeley in terms of pure IP?
Dammit, I have a seriously question.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:28 am

r6_philly wrote:
#2 according to most places I've seen

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:29 am

AreJay711 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

Yale places at least 5% more into academia than Stanford?

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:29 am

r6_philly wrote:
Specialty rankings really aren't that important. If you have a tech background, you are more marketable. End of story. For good reason, though, the techies flock to Stanford and Berkeley (in no small part because of their desire to work in the Bay Area).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:29 am

im_blue wrote:
justadude55 wrote:if you can get the in state tuition, berkley is a great place to go to. you get a top of the line LS for ~20k a year. agree on pass/fail. i would be surprised if LSAT score came up at interviews -- do people really care? a lot of successful attorneys took it when there was a different scoring system.
in-state tuition will be $49k in 2011 and $52k in 2012.

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6943.htm
I was just about post about this. Boalt's tuition is not 20k a year. None of the CA public schools are.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:30 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Yale places at least 5% more into academia than Stanford?
LOL at Stanford hijacking a Cal thread.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:30 am

r6_philly wrote:
I am also curious about this. But I'm mainly interested in transactional IP b/c I don't have a hard science background.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:30 am

solidsnake wrote:This is such a stupid topic. Why does this matter to you? Do you think firms, judges, or clients ask what category "B" goes in? Grow the fuck up.
You've got it backwards. The categories are a rough aggregation of the schools' practical prestige and influence.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:33 am

mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I am also curious about this. But I'm mainly interested in transactional IP b/c I don't have a hard science background.
Transactional IP? Flame?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:34 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Specialty rankings really aren't that important. If you have a tech background, you are more marketable. End of story. For good reason, though, the techies flock to Stanford and Berkeley (in no small part because of their desire to work in the Bay Area).
Not ranking per se, but a realistic assessment of where it should be on my priority/school list based on non-personal criteria. I know Standford and Berkeley are magnets for people like me of course, I just want some sort of assessment whether I should put them ahead of CCNPM. (since people are dissing Berkeley here)

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:34 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
solidsnake wrote:This is such a stupid topic. Why does this matter to you? Do you think firms, judges, or clients ask what category "B" goes in? Grow the fuck up.
You've got it backwards. The categories are a rough aggregation of the schools' practical prestige and influence.

No he doesn't; a lot of these categorical distinctions that you're referring to are simply TLS extractions of the US News overall numerical rankings and autoadmit.com lore. They don't even bother to use the lawyer/judge prestige scores that US News collects; ironically enough one of the few stats they track worth noting--but the one that TLS never mentions in regards to rankings. If you check those out over the last decade you'll find that a lot of these TLS distinctions are coming out of thin air. For all intents and purposes if you're going for a job in NYC it's HYS CCN and then the rest of the top 14. If you're going for a job somewhere else it's basically HYS serious gap, CC then a small gap and then the rest of the top 14.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:35 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

Yale places at least 5% more into academia than Stanford?
Checked it and you are correct, it nowhere near enough to make up the 5% difference (though it would have been close in 2007).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:37 am

BruceWayne wrote:

Yet back five years ago Boalt was placing a similar number of people into big law as MVP. Did Boalt suddenly start taking huge masses of PI and small firm folks?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:38 am

BruceWayne wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

No he doesn't; a lot of these categorical distinctions that you're referring to are simply TLS extractions of the US News overall numerical rankings and autoadmit.com lore. They don't even bother to use the lawyer/judge prestige scores that US News collects; ironically enough one of the few stats they track worth noting--but the one that TLS never mentions in regards to rankings. If you check those out over the last decade you'll find that a lot of these TLS distinctions are coming out of thin air. For all intents and purposes if you're going for a job in NYC it's HYS CCN and then the rest of the top 14. If you're going for a job somewhere else it's basically HYS serious gap, CC then a small gap and then the rest of the top 14.
Not statistically significant for what I care about actually (which is the 25th percentile private sector starting salary). Just wrote a 54 page report on it lol.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:46 am

irishman86 wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Transactional IP? Flame?
It might be ignorance, but it's not flame, :lol:. I would assume there is transactional work to be done with companies in places like Silicon Valley (in fact, I've heard people mention transactional IP work), and from what little I've been able to gather (mainly from TLS and a guy I kinda know who works at MoFo), a hard science background is only really important if you are going to be doing IP litigation or prosecution. I want to be doing transactional work generally speaking, but I am just wondering if hiring would be any better in firms/areas that revolve around IP. Also, since Stanford and Berkeley are supposed to be so strong in IP (although, as has already been mentioned, this is probably just because they attract students with a certain background who want to work in places like SV), is there any added advantage going to either of those schools if one wanted to do that kind of work. So, rip my question to shreds if it merits it. I'm just curious and may be way off base.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:49 am

Transactional IP is most certainly real. It's a subset of corporate work. Someone's gotta assess the value of IP and deal with licenses/patents/what-have-you when one company is acquiring another.

More on point: Berkeley is a great school (especially on the West Coast), but the grading system does hurt it relative to other schools.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”