Getting Discouraged

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Marmaduke8

Getting Discouraged

Postby Marmaduke8 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:03 pm

So, I recently got into a T10 school. I'm happy about that, or at least I thought I would be.

But I'm getting discouraged. Not about job prospects, not about debt. I know I want to be a lawyer. I'm discouraged by what I read on TLS. Specifically, I'm discouraged to think that I will be spending three years with you douchebags.

I think you guys are probably nice, harmless people. But who the hell sits down and makes line graphs of the decision dates at a law school? Who the hell gets on the internet to plug a STRANGER'S numbers into law school predictor for them? SO many of the things said on this site land somewhere between pointless, idiotic, and redundant. Originality is the diamond in the rough.

I've been reading these forums for several months, and yes, they have helped me with the application process. But that's not the same as wanting to spend time with the people that created them.

My question is this: Are you guys really the anal retentive, petty, witless cretins that you sound like on this website? Are there a load of readers who never post that are actually solid people?

Discuss.

Bildungsroman

Re: Getting Discouraged

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:04 pm

Marmaduke8 wrote:Discuss.

No.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:06 pm

You will fit in nicely *smiles wickedly*

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:09 pm

Are there a load of readers who never post that are actually solid people?

I don't know, they don't post.

I suppose that doesn't include you neither.

glewz

Postby glewz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:11 pm

Marmaduke8 wrote:So, I recently got into a T10 school. I'm happy about that, or at least I thought I would be.

But I'm getting discouraged. Not about job prospects, not about debt. I know I want to be a lawyer. I'm discouraged by what I read on TLS. Specifically, I'm discouraged to think that I will be spending three years with you douchebags.

I think you guys are probably nice, harmless people. But who the hell sits down and makes line graphs of the decision dates at a law school? Who the hell gets on the internet to plug a STRANGER'S numbers into law school predictor for them? SO many of the things said on this site land somewhere between pointless, idiotic, and redundant. Originality is the diamond in the rough.

I've been reading these forums for several months, and yes, they have helped me with the application process. But that's not the same as wanting to spend time with the people that created them.

My question is this: Are you guys really the anal retentive, petty, witless cretins that you sound like on this website? Are there a load of readers who never post that are actually solid people?

Discuss.

I personally get a thrill from having analyzed certain aspects of the application process (e.g. my lsat performance), and I actually think graphing out when people are accepted into diff schools is helpful information. Perhaps you aren't used to this type of work because you haven't work in fields that exercise these analytical tools pretty frequently. You see, thinking in these respects might be analogous to your skills/knowledge in other areas.

So at least on that note, I'd implore you to be more compassionate.

But I think each of your other points are worthy of concern. I rarely post on this website because there are so many negative comments, many which are based on unsound reason and just plain, bad manners.

Have some faith in people - I'm sure there are masses of decent personalities.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:13 pm

"Originality is the diamond in the rough"

amazing. i would venture to guess your perspective has been posted previously as well

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Teoeo wrote:You will fit in nicely *smiles wickedly*

Well played, well played. It takes one petty, witless cretin to know one, amirite?

But more seriously, I'd worry less about law school, and more the legal profession. My impression is it's filled with venal, petty assholes. An endless bureaucratic nightmare whose objective is the creation of more bureaucracy. The idea that you'd be put off by what you see on this site means one of two things:

a) you live in some weird candyland of the imagination, or
b) you're a pretty decent troll.

I'm voting for option b.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:28 pm

--ImageRemoved--

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Marmaduke8 wrote:So, I recently got into a T10 school. I'm happy about that, or at least I thought I would be.

Discuss.

Hate to break it to you, OP, but you're no Aladdin.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:32 pm

Marmaduke8 wrote:Specifically, I'm discouraged to think that I will be spending three years with you douchebags.

BAM! Curveball. This line honestly made me lol.

But seriously, if you're discouraged by the types of personalities you find on TLS, you're fucked.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:38 pm

Marmaduke8 wrote: But who the hell sits down and makes line graphs of the decision dates at a law school? Who the hell gets on the internet to

Discuss.

-http://xkcd.com/523/

Geeks and science majors.

glitched

Postby glitched » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:39 pm

Well if you actually looked at the graphs instead of just being a hater, you would probably see that TLS and lsn actually represent less than 10% of the applicant pool. So there is a good chance you won't have to spend the next three years of your life with a bunch of "anal douchebags."

Honestly I came here mainly for ps help and though some of the critism has been harsh and negative, it was nice to hear because that's what I came for - impartial people that will tell me what they really felt.

But with that being said, congrats on t10 doode! Huge accomplishment and mad props :) I'm still waiting on my first acceptance and its killing me Larry!

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:40 pm

Are you new to the internet?

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:42 pm

I personally get a thrill from having analyzed certain aspects of the application process (e.g. my lsat performance), and I actually think graphing out when people are accepted into diff schools is helpful information.

I love the graphing also. IMO it’s a time/money saver. By this I mean, if you know the probability of your being admitted into school X is “not likely”- based on overwhelming statistical data…you probably shouldn’t spend money submitting an app.

To OP’s larger point: I think it’s a fair assessment to say that there are quite a few “socially deprived/ awkward” individuals on TLS. I think some of them genuinely get a kick out of lashing out at the “cool kid” (maybe because they were beat-up in high school, or didn’t get bids during rush week, hell IDK.) Shit dude…treat it like HS- make friends with the cool kids and cheat off the nerds. :roll:

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:47 pm

Here's a nice graph I thought you'd enjoy.
Looking forward to being your classmate.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:49 pm

don't worry OP, most of the people on this site are months away from the truth, that being a bad person only gets you far on the internet. They will be just as lonely in law school as they were in HS. The only difference is that they won't have the other dozen or so Dbags that they are conected to the hip with on TLS. In the real world these people get exposed fast.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:55 pm

kwais wrote:don't worry OP, most of the people on this site are months away from the truth, that being a bad person only gets you far on the internet. They will be just as lonely in law school as they were in HS. The only difference is that they won't have the other dozen or so Dbags that they are conected to the hip with on TLS. In the real world these people get exposed fast.

Oh man. It's such a relief to finally have someone just cut the shit and see right through me. You're right! Oh, god, you're so right! I'm just so miserable and lonely and nobody likes me ever and I totally miss the loser lunch table at high school. Thank goodness you came along to point out my glaring problems. Thanks to you, I will finally leave my mother's basement and check out this real world you speak of!

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:57 pm

paratactical wrote:
kwais wrote:don't worry OP, most of the people on this site are months away from the truth, that being a bad person only gets you far on the internet. They will be just as lonely in law school as they were in HS. The only difference is that they won't have the other dozen or so Dbags that they are conected to the hip with on TLS. In the real world these people get exposed fast.

Oh man. It's such a relief to finally have someone just cut the shit and see right through me. You're right! Oh, god, you're so right! I'm just so miserable and lonely and nobody likes me ever and I totally miss the loser lunch table at high school. Thank goodness you came along to point out my glaring problems. Thanks to you, I will finally leave my mother's basement and check out this real world you speak of!

you're welcome

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:59 pm

I'm much nicer IRL though. But I'm sure most people are.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:59 pm

Discuss.

I like how you threw in "I got into a Top 10 school." Not that it's relevant in any way to your post - just to let us know. And then accuse others of douchiness.

Speaking of douchiness, accusing TLS'ers are being "redundant" and pointing out the lack of originality... For some one who's been on this site for months, haven't you noticed that posts of your exact type "this site sucks, douches and no originality" - is redundant itself? I mean, you're not saying anything that hasn't been said a thousand times over.

Just want to point out why it's humorous for you to call others douches

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:00 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:I'm much nicer IRL though. But I'm sure most people are.

why are you nicer IRL?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Based on your recent posts, I'm not sure why you're still here.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:01 pm

kwais wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:I'm much nicer IRL though. But I'm sure most people are.

why are you nicer IRL?

Because on the internet I like to be brutally honest. In social circles courtesy dictates lying.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:02 pm

I actually think I am nicer over the internet.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Unsubtle flame is nevertheless successful.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”