Problem with LOR from Dean Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gambelda

Bronze

Problem with LOR from Dean

Post by gambelda » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:44 pm

I have a LOR from the Dean of my college at my University. The problem is that it was a very generic LOR and doesn't emphasize me at all. What's worse is it is almost a word-for-word copy of a LOR he gave me to get me my job in corporate consulting a year ago. With minor alterations to indicate law instead of consulting.

Should I throw this away and use the 2 LOR I have from otehr people, 1 from a prof I did research with and the other from my current employer?

I hate throwing away a LOR from a dean - especially when we we did a number of things together like study abroad and he clearly cares about helping me get into law school....but I'm afraid such a generic LOR will ding me in applications for next cycle when I apply.

txadv11

Silver

Re: Problem with LOR from Dean

Post by txadv11 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:56 pm

If he went about to process correctly he would have sent it in to LSAC. It will be there for five years (I think).
The choice is yours. I don't know what the other two LORs say, but I would wait and use the Dean's letter if needed.

gambelda

Bronze

Post by gambelda » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:38 pm

he sent it and showed me afterwards. So I had no influence upon the LOR. But, my other prof has told me ideas for his LOR and how he wants to specifically cater it and I know he'll write an excellent one. The employer, I'm not sure about - but will be necessary anyways since I feel if I have WE then I HAVE to include an employer LOR.

jwaters

Bronze

Post by jwaters » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:54 pm

On the one hand its going to look nice that your dean wrote you a LOR, on the other the adcomms will realize that its a generic one that he/she probably uses for every student. Realistically, LOR's don't matter enough for it to make a difference either way. If you already have two others, I say save it in case you get waitlisted somewhere.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Content > writer. Since you already have 2 better LORs, ditch the dean's LOR. It'll hurt you more than you'd think.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”