Problem with LOR from Dean

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gambelda

Problem with LOR from Dean

Postby gambelda » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:44 pm

I have a LOR from the Dean of my college at my University. The problem is that it was a very generic LOR and doesn't emphasize me at all. What's worse is it is almost a word-for-word copy of a LOR he gave me to get me my job in corporate consulting a year ago. With minor alterations to indicate law instead of consulting.

Should I throw this away and use the 2 LOR I have from otehr people, 1 from a prof I did research with and the other from my current employer?

I hate throwing away a LOR from a dean - especially when we we did a number of things together like study abroad and he clearly cares about helping me get into law school....but I'm afraid such a generic LOR will ding me in applications for next cycle when I apply.

txadv11

Re: Problem with LOR from Dean

Postby txadv11 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:56 pm

If he went about to process correctly he would have sent it in to LSAC. It will be there for five years (I think).
The choice is yours. I don't know what the other two LORs say, but I would wait and use the Dean's letter if needed.

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:38 pm

he sent it and showed me afterwards. So I had no influence upon the LOR. But, my other prof has told me ideas for his LOR and how he wants to specifically cater it and I know he'll write an excellent one. The employer, I'm not sure about - but will be necessary anyways since I feel if I have WE then I HAVE to include an employer LOR.

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:54 pm

On the one hand its going to look nice that your dean wrote you a LOR, on the other the adcomms will realize that its a generic one that he/she probably uses for every student. Realistically, LOR's don't matter enough for it to make a difference either way. If you already have two others, I say save it in case you get waitlisted somewhere.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Content > writer. Since you already have 2 better LORs, ditch the dean's LOR. It'll hurt you more than you'd think.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”