Bad Fall GPA before acceptance to law School What do I do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bergg007

Bad Fall GPA before acceptance to law School What do I do?

Postby bergg007 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:26 am

Ok so this term I have had a horrible time with things. I've been battling depression and I've lived an hour and a half from my school which has all added up to me missing tons of class and now I'm looking to having a terrible GPA this semester and I'm freaking out.

I think my problems are legitimate but i'm worried because i've got no back up plan if offers get rescinded and such. There is a good chance I'll fail at least one class this term and possibly two. My GPA could go as low a 1.5. Obviously this would kill my UGPA which is already a dismal 2.9 and it would thrash my argument of an upward trend over the past two years. What can i do? will Law Schools ask for my Grades after the semester? Do they only update after the winter term? what can I do to not lose any future offers?

Please don't be jerks I'm legitimately distressed and I don't need asshole comments right now.

dpk711

Re: Bad Fall GPA before acceptance to law School What do I do?

Postby dpk711 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:32 am

not looking good... is there any way that you can drop the classes you are doing badly and perhaps take some classes for an extra semester??

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:32 am

bergg007 wrote:Ok so this term I have had a horrible time with things. I've been battling depression and I've lived an hour and a half from my school which has all added up to me missing tons of class and now I'm looking to having a terrible GPA this semester and I'm freaking out.

I think my problems are legitimate but i'm worried because i've got no back up plan if offers get rescinded and such. There is a good chance I'll fail at least one class this term and possibly two. My GPA could go as low a 1.5. Obviously this would kill my UGPA which is already a dismal 2.9 and it would thrash my argument of an upward trend over the past two years. What can i do? will Law Schools ask for my Grades after the semester? Do they only update after the winter term? what can I do to not lose any future offers?

Please don't be jerks I'm legitimately distressed and I don't need asshole comments right now.

Do as much work/study as much as possible in order to raise your grades. IME finals are usually worth a significant percentage of your grade in the class. Maybe ask to take an incomplete in the class you think you might fail. Talk to your professors and look for a solution to this problem. Most law schools don't ask for your grades after the semester and you don't need to update your transcripts after this semester. However, you do have to send your final transcripts in and a 1.5 GPA when you had a 2.9 doesn't look good.

Hopefully no one is a jerk but honestly this isn't the best place to come to when you're distressed and don't want asshole comments.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:34 am

dpk711 wrote:not looking good... is there any way that you can drop the classes you are doing badly and perhaps take some classes for an extra semester??

Also, if possible to withdraw (I think it's way too late for that but maybe not?) withdrawing from some classes will look better than a 1.5 GPA for a semester.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:36 am

LSpleaseee wrote:
dpk711 wrote:not looking good... is there any way that you can drop the classes you are doing badly and perhaps take some classes for an extra semester??

Also, if possible to withdraw (I think it's way too late for that but maybe not?) withdrawing from some classes will look better than a 1.5 GPA for a semester.

most def...
W's look a lot better than F's on transcripts...

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:39 am

LSpleaseee wrote:

I wish I could withdraw, I'll look into the incomplete thing. I'm not sure what the process for that is. I would do anything to change this situation. Ithink it's be just the one fail and i'm sure my next semester will be loads better. i still think I'll graduate with the 2.9 but I expected to graduate with a 3.2 or better. this just really really blows.

withdraw deadline was a month ago.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:44 am

I just looked online and there is no way i qualify for an "I" At my school it was a good thought though, I guess my best shot is to beg and plead with my teachers though I expect my pleas to fall on deaf ears. I'm so effed.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:48 am

bergg007 wrote:I just looked online and there is no way i qualify for an "I" At my school it was a good thought though, I guess my best shot is to beg and plead with my teachers though I expect my pleas to fall on deaf ears. I'm so effed.

Isn't the incomplete at the discretion of the professor? Or no? Don't whine to your professors, try to explain your situation and show them that you are trying to save your semester. I don't know how you just realized you're going to fail, but whatever you can't change that now. If the Incomplete is up to the discretion of the professor then explain your situation and ask them to please consider letting you do this so that you can keep your GPA up.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:54 am

LSpleaseee wrote:
bergg007 wrote:I just looked online and there is no way i qualify for an "I" At my school it was a good thought though, I guess my best shot is to beg and plead with my teachers though I expect my pleas to fall on deaf ears. I'm so effed.

Isn't the incomplete at the discretion of the professor? Or no? Don't whine to your professors, try to explain your situation and show them that you are trying to save your semester. I don't know how you just realized you're going to fail, but whatever you can't change that now. If the Incomplete is up to the discretion of the professor then explain your situation and ask them to please consider letting you do this so that you can keep your GPA up.

There are guidelines for incomplete at my school that I don't qualify for, like I am not currently passing the class i need to "I" in the most. You have to be currently passing to qualify for an "I" trust me i'll try to convince the teacher to let me either "I" of maybe a c- or something, but she doesn't like me so odds are i'm fully screwed. we'll see though.

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:27 pm

bergg007 wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:

There are guidelines for incomplete at my school that I don't qualify for, like I am not currently passing the class i need to "I" in the most. You have to be currently passing to qualify for an "I" trust me i'll try to convince the teacher to let me either "I" of maybe a c- or something, but she doesn't like me so odds are i'm fully screwed. we'll see though.

Do you have a credit/no credit option? We had that at my UG. There was a limit as to how many you could use but basically you have to do all the work for the class including the final...however you and your prof sign a form saying that you will take no credit if you get a D or worse and credit if you pass with a C or better. Look into it. I think most schools have it. It won't affect your GPA.

gov

Postby gov » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:29 pm

I work at a university and we have a mental health drop process. It wipes the grades off of your transcript. If you have documentation, or have see a psychiatrist/psychologist, you should be fine. Call your dean ASAP and ask for the paperwork. FYI better to take care of it before grades post than try and do it retroactively.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Sinra wrote:Do you have a credit/no credit option? We had that at my UG. There was a limit as to how many you could use but basically you have to do all the work for the class including the final...however you and your prof sign a form saying that you will take no credit if you get a D or worse and credit if you pass with a C or better. Look into it. I think most schools have it. It won't affect your GPA.

This is also a good idea but the deadline for that has probably passed by now also.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:30 pm

This late in the game, its going to be very hard... but there is such a thing as a medical withdrawal-- which CAN be completed after the class is over. At my UG, though, "mental" illnesses are usually deemed excuses and not taken seriously-- but if you have a respectable doctor really go to battle for you about it, then it could work. (Essentially, my UG is opposite of govorett's... its MUCH more difficult. Hopefully you've been seeing a phsyciatrist and have proof of medicating, etc)

I wrote my addendum about getting straight As the past 2 years and am walking away from this semester with a B and a B-. :( :( :(

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:31 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
Sinra wrote:Do you have a credit/no credit option? We had that at my UG. There was a limit as to how many you could use but basically you have to do all the work for the class including the final...however you and your prof sign a form saying that you will take no credit if you get a D or worse and credit if you pass with a C or better. Look into it. I think most schools have it. It won't affect your GPA.

This is also a good idea but the deadline for that has probably passed by now also.

The deadline for this at my school is 1/3 the way through the semester. I'm assuming there aren't any UGs where the deadline is 14/15 through the semester lol

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:33 pm

Barbie wrote:I wrote my addendum about getting straight As the past 2 years and am walking away from this semester with a B and a B-. :( :( :(

Not to derail thread but the B- was the grade you were worried about? You'll be fine.

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:35 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:

Really? We could do ours until the very last day of class. Most students didn't commit to it until right before finals actually started. We had it as a back up to withdrawing (if you missed the deadline like OP did).

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Sinra wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:

Really? We could do ours until the very last day of class. Most students didn't commit to it until right before finals actually started. We had it as a back up to withdrawing (if you missed the deadline like OP did).

Wow. What an awesome cop-out. I would have a GPA of 3.9 if I could back out of classes last minute. We're stuck with what we earn.

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:41 pm

Barbie wrote:
Wow. What an awesome cop-out. I would have a GPA of 3.9 if I could back out of classes last minute. We're stuck with what we earn.

Well, sort of. It was limited to 2X in the entirety of undergrad though so there were many many people that used it on the first class they had trouble with as freshmen and ended up with Ds and Fs as seniors.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:43 pm

Sinra wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Well, sort of. It was limited to 2X in the entirety of undergrad though so there were many many people that used it on the first class they had trouble with as freshmen and ended up with Ds and Fs as seniors.

rediculous!2x = 2 Fs which could MURDER a persons GPA. I would literally be ballin much better than my 3.3 right now, which is brought down by 2 low grades.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:48 pm

I was just too stupid and stubborn to take advantage of things like withdrawing and credit/no credit. I could've had a much better GPA if I had used ANY of the cop-outs that they gave us :(

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:49 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:I was just too stupid and stubborn to take advantage of things like withdrawing and credit/no credit. I could've had a much better GPA if I had used ANY of the cop-outs that they gave us :(

:( That sucks even more to have the option to cop-out and not haha. At least the rest of my UG suffered with me bwah ha ha

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Barbie wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:I was just too stupid and stubborn to take advantage of things like withdrawing and credit/no credit. I could've had a much better GPA if I had used ANY of the cop-outs that they gave us :(

:( That sucks even more to have the option to cop-out and not haha. At least the rest of my UG suffered with me bwah ha ha

I didn't have that specific cop-out. We were able to withdraw and change to credit/no credit, but not at the very end of the semester. Those are cop-outs and I'm sure your UG had them too.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:51 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I didn't have that specific cop-out. We were able to withdraw and change to credit/no credit, but not at the very end of the semester. Those are cop-outs and I'm sure your UG had them too.

We can do things in the first 1/3 of the semester and that is all.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Word of caution/warning: if you get a special withdrawl because of mental health and mental health treatments, you will have special attention paid to your mental health issues during your C&F. It's not the end of the world, but you will have to be prepared to prove that you're "better" and that it won't interfere with your ability to practice.

gov

Postby gov » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:53 pm

We have a 7th week and 12th week deadline. Then there are dean's drops and medical/mental health withdrawals that are usually for extenuating/documentable circumstances and approved by the health center. The best bet is to call the dean asap and get your options.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”