Does an F on grad transcript mean doom for admission to t14?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
adt231

Does an F on grad transcript mean doom for admission to t14?

Postby adt231 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:37 am

This actually won't be an issue but I'm wondering how adcomms will look at an F on a graduate school transcript- will it preclude admission from t14 in the face of stellar undergrad stats (i.e. at or above the medians for both GPA and LSAT) and assuming of course the F didn't taint any of the LORs? Also, if the F was not on the transcript when considered for admission but was after accepted, do you think acceptance (and/or scholarship $) is likely to be revoked?

any thoughts, guesses or knowledge of related events in the past?
Last edited by adt231 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St.Remy

Re: Does an F on grad transcript mean doom for admission to t14?

Postby St.Remy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:40 am

adt231 wrote:Don't think this will be an issue but would an F on a graduate school transcript preclude admission from t14 in the face of stellar undergrad stats (i.e. at or above the medians for both GPA and LSAT) and assuming of course the F didn't taint any of the LORs?

Also, if the F was not on the transcript when considered for admission but was after accepted, do you think acceptance (and/or scholarship $) is likely to be revoked?

any thoughts, guesses or knowledge of related events in the past would be greatly appreciated.

It's the overall GPA that they care about for the most part, though if you have a legitimate reason for the F you should of course write an addendum. I don't think it would preclude many schools inherently, though I'm sure more holistic ones like YS and B won't look kindly on it.

Don't get an F after being accepted, that's just begging for trouble. Imagine having an admission offer rescinded in February.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:13 am

adt231 wrote:Don't think this will be an issue but would an F on a graduate school transcript preclude admission from t14 in the face of stellar undergrad stats (i.e. at or above the medians for both GPA and LSAT) and assuming of course the F didn't taint any of the LORs?

Also, if the F was not on the transcript when considered for admission but was after accepted, do you think acceptance (and/or scholarship $) is likely to be revoked?

any thoughts, guesses or knowledge of related events in the past would be greatly appreciated.

Schools care about your UG GPA not your grad school GPA. I don't think it will matter but I think you should try your best NOT to get an F so that it doesn't have any effect on your admissions.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:30 am

How is it even possible to get an F in most grad school programs?

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:39 am

Aqualibrium wrote:How is it even possible to get an F in most grad school programs?

i suspect he banged his professor's spouse

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”