World of Warcraft

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
allah6969
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:20 pm

World of Warcraft

Postby allah6969 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:25 am

With Cataclysm being released in a few minutes, I just wondered if it's possible to balance a World of Warcraft habit with law school, or should I quit now?

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby St.Remy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:29 am

Are you in LS right now? If you are then you probably don't want to start playing a time sink like a WoW expansion this close to finals. If you've been playing the game in LS up to now though then you're the best judge of you can keep a balance. If you aren't in LS yet then yeah, go for it, who cares?

User avatar
allah6969
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby allah6969 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:31 am

St.Remy wrote:Are you in LS right now? If you are then you probably don't want to start playing a time sink like a WoW expansion this close to finals. If you've been playing the game in LS up to now though then you're the best judge of you can keep a balance. If you aren't in LS yet then yeah, go for it, who cares?


Not in LS yet. Won't be until next fall. But I worry that I'll become addicted if I buy the expansion and I'll want to keep playing when I start school next fall. It will be tough to play from now until then on the expansion then suddenly give it up. You think I'm crazy but try playing. It consumes me. Or do I just need therapy?

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby St.Remy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:37 am

allah6969 wrote:Not in LS yet. Won't be until next fall. But I worry that I'll become addicted if I buy the expansion and I'll want to keep playing when I start school next fall. It will be tough to play from now until then on the expansion then suddenly give it up. You think I'm crazy but try playing. It consumes me. Or do I just need therapy?


I've played it; I don't think it's that great. How long were you really hooked on the previous expansions? I imagine if the length was less than a year then you'll get over the game before law school. If you're saying that you are currently addicted and have been for years then yes you should probably use this opportunity to get clean.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:40 am

Only problem is replacing one addiction for another. If you quit WoW and do something/play something else just as much to use that free time, then what have you accomplished?

If you can replace the X hours you play WoW on a 1 to 1 basis with something more productive (i.e., studying, working out, another hobby not involving sitting on your butt) then it's a good deal. But I've known SO many people (it's frightening how consuming this stupid game is) including myself that get roped into WoW and upon trying to quit, have a huge void left. This is particularly dangerous if you're at all an "end gamer" participating in gladiator level arena or hard-mode unlocks in content like ICC 25 (For wotlk). I quit about 6 1/2 months ago - for good - and haven't even looked at the game since. I put every bit of time that I WOULD normally play, into things like signing up for spinning and aerobics classes, spend more time walking the dog, etc.

It's different for everyone but it seems like there's one constant and that's the one I espoused above: If you don't go 1:1 on replacement time, you WILL go back to it. I also recommend changing AIM/MSN contact information and not playing another game on the RealID network (Since your buddies will find you and start sending you messages asking you to come back to play 3v3 because they're at 2650 and need 75 more rating for first page rank).

Good luck...

User avatar
allah6969
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby allah6969 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:49 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Only problem is replacing one addiction for another. If you quit WoW and do something/play something else just as much to use that free time, then what have you accomplished?

If you can replace the X hours you play WoW on a 1 to 1 basis with something more productive (i.e., studying, working out, another hobby not involving sitting on your butt) then it's a good deal. But I've known SO many people (it's frightening how consuming this stupid game is) including myself that get roped into WoW and upon trying to quit, have a huge void left. This is particularly dangerous if you're at all an "end gamer" participating in gladiator level arena or hard-mode unlocks in content like ICC 25 (For wotlk). I quit about 6 1/2 months ago - for good - and haven't even looked at the game since. I put every bit of time that I WOULD normally play, into things like signing up for spinning and aerobics classes, spend more time walking the dog, etc.

It's different for everyone but it seems like there's one constant and that's the one I espoused above: If you don't go 1:1 on replacement time, you WILL go back to it. I also recommend changing AIM/MSN contact information and not playing another game on the RealID network (Since your buddies will find you and start sending you messages asking you to come back to play 3v3 because they're at 2650 and need 75 more rating for first page rank).

Good luck...


Thanks for the helpful response. I actually stopped playing for about 2 years, but recently started up again. I'm afraid I'll have to stop sooner rather than later or risk not being able to stop or going back to it in the future. It is very dangerously consuming.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:49 am


Thanks for the helpful response. I actually stopped playing for about 2 years, but recently started up again. I'm afraid I'll have to stop sooner rather than later or risk not being able to stop or going back to it in the future. It is very dangerously consuming.



Get out while you can.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby bartleby » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:54 am

I tried WoW before and hated it. Stupid, endless game.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:04 am

bartleby wrote:I tried WoW before and hated it. Stupid, endless game.


Noob.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby Kabuo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:10 am

Adjudicator wrote:
bartleby wrote:I tried WoW before and hated it. Stupid, endless game.


Noob.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby glitched » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:13 am

Drop WoW, play SC2

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:16 am

What I'm really worried about is Diablo 3... it is almost certainly going to be released while I am in law school and I'm afraid of what will happen.

It's not so much "How will I find the time for Diablo 3 while studying law?" as much as "How will I find the time to study law while playing Diablo 3?"

:|

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby glitched » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:18 am

Adjudicator wrote:What I'm really worried about is Diablo 3...

+1!

I was seriously HOPING it would be released by this Christmas to just go all out on it right before I enter LS. But my way of not playing D3 if it comes out during LS? Buy a computer that can't handle the graphics and take only that.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:07 am

I have the same problem with counter-strike. I just quit cold turkey, but just to be sure when I go to LS, I'm going to bring just my laptop which isn't powerful enough to run the game.

gambelda
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:44 am

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby gambelda » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:07 am

Here's what you do. You log in to your old account on WoW. You type "/played" then you realize you literally wasted 3 months of your actual life sitting on a computer talking to random 14 year old kids.

That will get you to quit instantly. Worked for me. I also made out like a bandit when I sold my account. You should do the same.

User avatar
allah6969
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby allah6969 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:37 pm

At least it's obvious I'm not the only one addicted to video games.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby PinkCow » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:52 pm

Have you tried making yourself play it for like 72+ hours straight? That's what I had to do with CSS (not that much time, mind you) and I'm still turned off by that game.

gambelda
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:44 am

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby gambelda » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:53 pm

chip3341 wrote:Have you tried making yourself play it for like 72+ hours straight? That's what I had to do with CSS (not that much time, mind you) and I'm still turned off by that game.


So you want him to die from a seizure like a number of the Chinese farmers? haha

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1276
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby thexfactor » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:57 pm

drop WOW play halo and SC2.

Wow takes up too much of your time. I screwed up my undergrad grades because of world of warcraft.

User avatar
Fresh
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby Fresh » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:02 pm

Play a less time consuming game than wow and one that's not as addicting. seriously.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby ahduth » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:07 pm

Fresh wrote:Play a less time consuming game than wow and one that's not as addicting. seriously.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_American

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby beachbum » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:07 pm

I thought this was a flame, but it turned out to be a legit question (?).

Uhh... stop playing video games? It's just like elves and shit, right? It isn't real and doesn't matter in the real world; the same cannot be said for your LS grades/interacting with real people. If that isn't motivation enough to drop the WoW and put away the cheetos, I don't know what is.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby ahduth » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:09 pm

beachbum wrote:I thought this was a flame, but it turned out to be a legit question (?).

Uhh... stop playing video games? It's just like elves and shit, right? It isn't real and doesn't matter in the real world; the same cannot be said for your LS grades/interacting with real people. If that isn't motivation enough to drop the WoW and put away the cheetos, I don't know what is.


Getting laid is a better motivation. (ahduth shoots... he scores!)

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby beachbum » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:10 pm

ahduth wrote:
beachbum wrote:I thought this was a flame, but it turned out to be a legit question (?).

Uhh... stop playing video games? It's just like elves and shit, right? It isn't real and doesn't matter in the real world; the same cannot be said for your LS grades/interacting with real people. If that isn't motivation enough to drop the WoW and put away the cheetos, I don't know what is.


Getting laid is a better motivation. (ahduth shoots... he scores!)


haha, that too.

User avatar
Loyant
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:29 am

Re: World of Warcraft

Postby Loyant » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:09 pm

I started playing WoW in beta. That was an attempt to establish some WoW street-cred. I quit before starting law school, and it was absolutely necessary.

Quit WoW now. Get out. Otherwise, make plans to join the bottom 75%, where Nothing Good Happens.




PS

One member of my class got outed as a World of Warcraft player. He never lived it down.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Bunbury, SuperAverageJoe and 4 guests