Few Princeton Students in Law School? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
James Bond

Gold

Re: Few Princeton Students in Law School?

Post by James Bond » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Do you go to Brown? If so, please quote me how much money Brown makes off TV revenue. I am willing to bet the number is 0, just like it is at many small or academic schools is the country
No I don't. I wasn't arguing with you, I don't know for sure, but if there are ads aired, someone's getting something.
I doubt the games are aired on anything other than Brown TV or something, and I'm sure the ads barely cover the cost of a football program in the first place. I'm sure there are enough people who go to ivies who are decent enough at football that the colleges could field a team if none of them recruited. If not, If football isn't making money or raising revenue, it should be cut.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:39 pm

James Bond wrote: I doubt the games are aired on anything other than Brown TV or something, and I'm sure the ads barely cover the cost of a football program in the first place. I'm sure there are enough people who go to ivies who are decent enough at football that the colleges could field a team if none of them recruited. If not, If football isn't making money or raising revenue, it should be cut.
I don't think, and don't agree that varsity sport should be self-sustaining. They budget for it. As long as they can afford it in the general and athletic budget, they may as well recruit the best out there.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:42 pm

acrossthelake wrote:I'd basically like to see our system replaced with MIT & Caltech's. They have (intramural) sports, they just don't admit ppl for sports.

ETA: Ok, ok, I can think of one positive advantage to having recruited athletes: They drag down the curve in large lecture classes and make As that much easier. There we go.
Apparently the schools don't have a problem spending the money recruiting, why do you?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:47 pm

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:51 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Because people argue about standards for admission and whether special groups should have exceptions, and that's one exception I don't understand. I understand the affirmative action argument, I understand letting in ppl whose parents donated buildings, I understand giving a small boost to legacies, but I don't understand lowering standards so dramatically just because someone can throw a ball well.
Those spots are not available to you or anyone else who can't throw a ball so why does it matter? If they cut the teams it's not like they will just enroll another bunch of regular admits. Those seats are alloted for those purposes, it's a none issue really. They don't drain your resources, and they don't compete with you for jobs, I don't see the issue.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:54 pm

I thought this thread was about grade inflation, not sports. I went to NYU, we might have had sports teams. I'd have to check.

Wade LeBosh

Bronze

Post by Wade LeBosh » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:55 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:I'd basically like to see our system replaced with MIT & Caltech's. They have (intramural) sports, they just don't admit ppl for sports.

ETA: Ok, ok, I can think of one positive advantage to having recruited athletes: They drag down the curve in large lecture classes and make As that much easier. There we go.
Apparently the schools don't have a problem spending the money recruiting, why do you?
Because people argue about standards for admission and whether special groups should have exceptions, and that's one exception I don't understand. I understand the affirmative action argument, I understand letting in ppl whose parents donated buildings, I understand giving a small boost to legacies, but I don't understand lowering standards so dramatically just because someone can throw a ball well. I'm horrified with what athletes are allowed to get away with here. I just don't get it.
I agree that it's not right, but most of the alumni$$$ would have a fit if an athletic program took a significant hit, for a just cause or not. It doesn't matter at MIT and CalTech because those students don't go outside. IMO, it's not hurting anyone, so who am I to care if someone gets a better education than they deserve?

Then again, I don't go to an Ivy, I go to a school with a top 5 ranked football program so maybe I'm used to it.

HamDel

New

Post by HamDel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:06 pm

Okay so we all agree that there aren't that many Princeton kids right?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:10 pm

HamDel wrote:Okay so we all agree that there aren't that many Princeton kids right?
According to LSAC, Princeton produced 254 law students last year, 3 less than Columbia.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HamDel

New

Post by HamDel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:
HamDel wrote:Okay so we all agree that there aren't that many Princeton kids right?
According to LSAC, Princeton produced 254 law students last year, 3 less than Columbia.
But where are they? I swear I don't see many at my school, like significantly fewer than Harvard and Yale. Do they just get screwed by their grading system?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:13 pm

HamDel wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
But where are they? I swear I don't see many at my school, like significantly fewer than Harvard and Yale. Do they just get screwed by their grading system?
Prolly.

HamDel

New

Post by HamDel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:15 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
HamDel wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Prolly.
Okay asked and answered, let's argue about other stuff again.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:16 pm

HamDel wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Harvard 412, Yale 369, so there are more of them.

Also I don't know what school you are in, but maybe they go to schools with different emphasis/specialties? Who knows.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:17 pm

HamDel wrote: Okay asked and answered, let's argue about other stuff again.
Feel free to start.

HamDel

New

Post by HamDel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
HamDel wrote: Okay asked and answered, let's argue about other stuff again.
Feel free to start.
No you.

sfreuden

New

Post by sfreuden » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:00 am

Hey, I go to Princeton (I'm a junior now). And our career services website said that in 2009 we had 74 seniors apply to law school. Class size is expanding a bit every year, but I think we graduated about 1100 seniors that year. I really feel like the majority of my peers are applying to med school or grad school (although my opinion might be biased because I am a biology major).

Hope this helps satisfy some of your curiosity. :)

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Why go to lawl school when you can land a plumb hedge fund/ I banking job directly out of undergrad? That's what my friend is doing coming out of princeton.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:31 pm

sfreuden wrote:Hey, I go to Princeton (I'm a junior now). And our career services website said that in 2009 we had 74 seniors apply to law school. Class size is expanding a bit every year, but I think we graduated about 1100 seniors that year. I really feel like the majority of my peers are applying to med school or grad school (although my opinion might be biased because I am a biology major).

subtle "my friends and I are going to rule the world someday" trolling

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:20 pm

James Bond wrote:
sfreuden wrote:Hey, I go to Princeton (I'm a junior now). And our career services website said that in 2009 we had 74 seniors apply to law school. Class size is expanding a bit every year, but I think we graduated about 1100 seniors that year. I really feel like the majority of my peers are applying to med school or grad school (although my opinion might be biased because I am a biology major).

subtle "my friends and I are going to rule the world someday" trolling
More just irrelevant information trolling. If he had something more substantive, like the banding for applicants from an LSDAS report? That's the ticket - see how many of these high-GPA Princeton kids are applying to law school.

I cbf to care about something off their career services website. I need actionable information.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:37 am

HamDel wrote:I'm at a top school, and virtually every top undergrad is represented in my class. We especially have a lot from Harvard and Yale, but I've noticed that there are very few Princeton undergrads. Is this just an odd phenomenon at my school, or does Princeton just not send that many people to law school?
There are plenty of Princeton grads here at CLS, trying to "sample" the class representation here is kind of silly.

P.S. OP = CLS

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”