Few Princeton Students in Law School? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Unemployed

Silver

Re: Few Princeton Students in Law School?

Post by Unemployed » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Why in the world would Ivies lower admissions standards to enable the worst D1 sports teams in the country? That's a lose-lose.
But then again, miracles do happen now and then:

http://www.uscho.com/rankingsnew/
Last edited by Unemployed on Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:28 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote: Double quoted for ignorance. It is completely apparent that neither of you have any idea what you're talking about.
lawl. Are you asserting that Ivy League sports are not inferior to the rest of Division 1? CHECK YOU STATISTICS.
http://www.ncsasports.org/about-ncsa/po ... 28tab%29/1

No no, my friend. CHECK YOU STATISTICS. There are a variety of sports where the Ivy League excels (i.e. Brown Women's Rowing is a 8-time NCAA National Champion in the last 10 years, each year finishing in the Top 3. UPenn Football finished No. 13 in the FCS.)

But hey, keep talking. It appears that you know better than I.
Last edited by BrownBears09 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:30 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote: Double quoted for ignorance. It is completely apparent that neither of you have any idea what you're talking about.
lawl. Are you asserting that Ivy League sports are not inferior to the rest of Division 1? CHECK YOU STATISTICS.

No no, my friend. CHECK YOU STATISTICS.
Oh, come on.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:31 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:

Um... The ranking is in part determined by the "the NCAA student-athlete graduation rate of each college/university and the U.S. News & World Report ranking." Look at the athletic rank column.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote: lawl. Are you asserting that Ivy League sports are not inferior to the rest of Division 1? CHECK YOU STATISTICS.

Athletic Rankings wrote: Princeton 32
Cornell 52
Harvard 64
Yale 76
Penn 81
Brown 91
Dartmouth 128
Columbia 151
We're talking about the quality of the sports. And these ranks include fencing and rowing and bullshit sports, too.

I appreciate the way that you inadvertently illustrate the principle at hand, though.
Over 311 teams are represented in the athletics category. C'mon big mod, statistics aren't hard. It's OK to admit you're wrong once in a while.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:36 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
We're talking about the quality of the sports. And these ranks include fencing and rowing and bullshit sports, too.
lol thats not very nice.... fencing looks tough

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:39 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
Over 311 teams are represented in the athletics category. C'mon big mod, statistics aren't hard. It's OK to admit you're wrong once in a while.
You need to also notice that Football, Basketball, Baseball, Womens Softball, and Hockey are seriously the only sports that matter. And some of those 311 schools are 2,000 - 4,000 student schools in the middle of nowhere PA that shouldn't even be on the same scale.

Edit: NR already said it... I'm a slow typer.
Last edited by AreJay711 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:40 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:There are a variety of sports where the Ivy League excels (i.e. Brown Women's Rowing is a 8-time NCAA National Champion in the last 10 years, each year finishing in the Top 3.

Don't have anything to add, but I just thought this should be thrown up there again.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:41 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
You need to also notice that Football, Basketball, Baseball, Womens Softball, and Hockey are seriously the only sports that matter. And some of those 311 schools are 2,000 - 4,000 student schools in the middle of nowhere PA that shouldn't even be on the same scale.

This is impressively subtle trolling, keep up the good work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, allow me to rephrase: Ivy League sports are pathetic in football, usually pathetic in basketball, often pathetic in baseball, and apparently pretty decent at a bunch of shit people don't care about.

Better?
<3

However, to be fair, UPenn's football team is currently ranked 13th in the FCS.

Edit: Yale's Men's Ice Hockey is ranked 1st with Cornell's being 19th. Cornell's Women's Ice Hockey is ranked 1st.
Last edited by BrownBears09 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:44 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:

OK, allow me to rephrase: Ivy League sports are pathetic in football, usually pathetic in basketball, often pathetic in baseball, and apparently pretty decent at a bunch of shit people don't care about.

Better?
<3

So they're what? Like the 125th best college football team in the country?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:45 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:

This is impressively subtle trolling, keep up the good work.
Lol I actually make sure to watch the championship tourney every year

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:47 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:

Better?
<3

Trolling:
--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:50 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:

Better?
<3

You are right that UPenn is probably nothing special but some IAA (I refuse to call it FCS) teams are really good every year like Appalachian, UMass, Delaware, and Villanova. They could probably be competitive in the MAC or another one of the weaker conferences.

Edit: Quote fail
Last edited by AreJay711 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:53 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:There are a variety of sports where the Ivy League excels (i.e. Brown Women's Rowing is a 8-time NCAA National Champion in the last 10 years, each year finishing in the Top 3.
Not talkin bout the V8, right? :wink:

And, no, everyone else, that's not a reference to my TLS name.

Also, grade inflation is the most overblown issue in education this side of plagiarism.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I'm still trying to figure out what the FCS is. But you do have a good point about Hockey.
Division I used to be broken down into subdivisions: Division I-A and Division I-AA. They were later named the FBS (Football Bowl Series, i.e. "Bowls") and FCS (Football Championship Series, i.e. playoffs). It is essentially a smaller division of football, however the two divisions play each other relatively frequently. For example, Appalachian State's win over Michigan was an FCS vs FBS game.

But meh, my derail is over.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:05 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:21 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Meh I don't care about and don't see any value to lowering academic admissions standards for better sports teams. It's not like we make money off of ppl watching them play on TV.
You are kidding me right? Sports is the single sure way to raise funding level for schools. TV rights are worth $. You can also argue about tradition and moral (both for the current students and alumni). If you want to offer sports, then you try to beat your conference. And obviously you can't not offer sports.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:22 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Meh I don't care about and don't see any value to lowering academic admissions standards for better sports teams. It's not like we make money off of ppl watching them play on TV.
+1,000

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:
You are kidding me right? Sports is the single sure way to raise funding level for schools. TV rights are worth $. You can also argue about tradition and moral (both for the current students and alumni). If you want to offer sports, then you try to beat your conference. And obviously you can't not offer sports.
The TV revenue for Brown football is overwhelming, I'm sure

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:26 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:26 pm

James Bond wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
It isn't, but it isn't nothing. If they have scholarships to spend, the why not recruit the right talent. I for one do not want to go to homecoming and lose 51-3 to Brown Bears.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:28 pm

acrossthelake wrote: TV rights are worth $ at places like UMich, not here. It's not tradition when most people never go and when the football frat is pretty widely hated and despised. I'm all for offering sports--I just don't get the point of lowering academic admissions standards for recruited athletes.
I want to see you become AD and field a team of student athletes comprised of regular admits. See my above post, do you really want to field a 0-10 team and have people like BrownBears09 in your face all the time?

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:
James Bond wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
It isn't, but it isn't nothing. If they have scholarships to spend, the why not recruit the right talent. I for one do not want to go to homecoming and lose 51-3 to Brown Bears.
Do you go to Brown? If so, please quote me how much money Brown makes off TV revenue. I am willing to bet the number is 0, just like it is at many small or academic schools is the country

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:31 pm

James Bond wrote:
Do you go to Brown? If so, please quote me how much money Brown makes off TV revenue. I am willing to bet the number is 0, just like it is at many small or academic schools is the country
No I don't. I wasn't arguing with you, I don't know for sure, but if there are ads aired, someone's getting something.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”