E-mail from school requesting a "why x" essay?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brentonk

E-mail from school requesting a "why x" essay?

Postby brentonk » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Hey guys,
I sent out my applications last week and one school just e-mailed me, asking me to write a "why x school" essay in order to identify the applicants who hold the university as one of their top choices for seat and scholarship purposes. My numbers are above their medians. I am certainly writing the essay, but my question to you is whether or not this is a common occurrence? Does this sound like a potential wait-list, acceptance, or what? Thanks for your time and help!

arism87

Re: E-mail from school requesting a "why x" essay?

Postby arism87 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:21 pm

:shock:

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:24 pm

Never heard of this, but I couldn't imagine it's a bad thing since I doubt the school would care to request and read an additional essay for you if they intended to outright reject you. Probably a YP thing, and asking for an update to see if you legitimately are applying to attend, as opposed to safety/scholly leverage. Can you PM what school if you don't mind?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:25 pm

Is this for Michigan State? If so, don't bother, they'll give you a half-torn $20 for a genuine "Why X".

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:25 pm

if it states in the application that the essay will be used to gague your interests and for scholarship purposes, then I would think you are in good shape( almost admitted). IM sure schools want to offer scholarship packages for those that they know are interested, and why. Especially if the school is far away from you, or in your application you listed schools that are ranked significantly higher than theirs, and its not a case of being close to home ( ex. the school is within 2 hour drive of your perm. address) then I would guess its their way of both evaluating your sincerity in applying, as well as trying to figure out the scholarship part.

brentonk

Postby brentonk » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:30 pm

Thank you for the replies guys...that actually makes me feel much better. And no, it is not MSU :P

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:59 pm

I've heard of this happening to a few people. Its most likely for YP purposes since you are above both medians. Write the essay and you will be fine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”