To wait or not to wait....

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

To wait or not to wait....

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:07 pm

So the fact that I'm so late getting out my apps this cycle has me second guessing even going to LS next year. I'm terrified I won't get in anywhere because I'm pretty limited geographically. I

'm wondering if I should wait a year... there are a few things that are holding me back though. First and foremost will be that if I don't go directly to law school, I will have to start paying back my (substantial) undergrad loans. With an accounting degree but no real internship experience I can't really get a great paying job.

Second, I'll be getting married in August. The plan was to move away for LS, and my fiance and I would both quit our crappy undergrad part time jobs right before the wedding and he would find a good job wherever I would be going to law school. Waiting a year would throw a wrench into those plans. He would either have to stay in his crappy part time job and we would really be struggling with money, or he would find a real job (that probably wouldn't pay much more) and then have to quit in less than a year.

I know waiting and getting work experience is always recommended rather than coming straight out of UG. Then again, this is my seventh year of UG, and I've been working 40 hour weeks for the last six years. I don't want to be in school for my entire 20s, so getting out sooner rather than later would be preferable. I guess I'm just looking for any advice. :?

Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: To wait or not to wait....

Postby bartleby » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:27 pm

Is early December considered late? I know before Thanksgiving is early and after Xmas is late...

I don't think right now qualifies as "so late" in the cycle. I hope.

User avatar
Posts: 5816
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: To wait or not to wait....

Postby 2014 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:56 pm

Are you talking schools that are reaches, or reasonable targets?
I know money can be an issue, but why not apply to schools that you got a fee waiver too and maybe a couple of extra that you are targeting and would be willing to attend?

If a school is a reach for you, yeah you are probably getting on the late side and it might be worth saving your $50-100, but if you at least put out some applications to schools that won't cost you anymore than $12, you should get into a few and at least will have the option then.

If the cycle goes dreadfully and you strike out of everywhere that you wanted to go, just go with plan B and apply early next year or potentially study for a retake of the LSAT in June if you have nothing better to do :P

User avatar
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: To wait or not to wait....

Postby Marionberry » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Just based on what you wrote in the GULC thread, I don't think you're completely out of the game yet for this cycle. You have a 171, right? I would submit an ED application to either GULC or UVA, since that seems to be the geographic area you're interested in. You could do UVA first, as they seem to have a very quick turn around on decision when someone switches to ED. Then, failing that, you could switch your GULC app to ED.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: finaciardi, JoshLyman13 and 11 guests