Late "graduation ceremony" due to exchange - problem?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yzero1

Late "graduation ceremony" due to exchange - problem?

Postby yzero1 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi all,

As a part of the degree requirements for the Canadian undergrad program I'm enrolled in, I have to go on an international exchange in the Winter semester of my senior year (from January to late May). As a result, my exchange grades (which will be pass/fail on my undergrad transcript) may not be submitted to my undergrad until July-August. My undergrad office has indicated that, as a result of this delay, I will not be able to attend the conventional June "convocation" (aka. graduation ceremony) and will instead have to attend the convocation in October.

However, my undergrad office has said that, upon receipt of my exchange grades, they will issue a letter indicating that I have completed my credits and will be set to convocate in October.

Since law schools require applicants to have "finished" their undergrad before classes start, I'm wondering if my situation could possibly result in a rescission of an admissions offer due to my late convocation date, or if the certification letter is enough for law schools to consider me "graduated".

Thanks for your help!

albanach

Re: Late "graduation ceremony" due to exchange - problem?

Postby albanach » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:54 pm

The body that awards the degrees at your institution should be able to confer your degree and thus complete your studies before term starts.

Still, why not call any school you are accepted to and ask them if there's a problem.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:07 pm

Convocation is only the graduation ceremony, so it means nothing as far as credits and degrees are concerned. You should contact your UG to find out your official degree conferral date. If you can get a transcript sent to your law school by the time orientation starts, you should be OK. I don't know if they'll take a certification letter, though.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:10 pm

I put on my graduation hat and robe...

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:43 pm

graduation ceremony not = to you graduating.
Check with your school about what graduation date your diploma will display if your exchange grades are posted in Aug?

Then check with specific LSs about whether a "Sept graduation date" or w.e is acceptable.

tng11

Postby tng11 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Last edited by tng11 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ryanshep

Postby ryanshep » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:42 am

ahduth wrote:I put on my graduation hat and robe...

:lol: Oh I like to play dress up.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”