Offense: High School Suspension

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yggun

Offense: High School Suspension

Postby yggun » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:57 pm

"Have you ever been convicted of, pled guilty or nolo contendere to, or received a period of supervision for, any offense other than a minor traffic or parking violation?"

Should I answer "yes" to the above question for a disciplinary suspension from high school? I got a 2-day disciplinary suspension during my sophomore year in high school due to a small fight in school (no arrest, no charge). I figure it is not a misdemeanor nor felony I should disclose on my application but would it be considered an "offense" as used in above question? I tried to contact the school but phone line's always busy and they never replied to my email.

Thanks.

bartleby

Re: Offense: High School Suspension

Postby bartleby » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:00 pm

While most people will tell you disclose, I wouldn't to that. But the question before that should address school disciplines and even then, unless they specifically asl about high School, I wouldn't mention it.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:08 pm

I was suspended a few times in high school for fighting and didn't disclose (it was a catholic school so I doubt it is even on a record anywhere). It is so much easier to get suspended in high school -- like even if someone punches you in the face, you get suspended for not letting them do it a second time. Plus, even if they do care, something that you did as a 14 year old idiot (aka child) probably wont be held against you as a 20 something year old adult. In college it usually takes something serious or repeated violations so they actually care about that.

IBThatGuy

Postby IBThatGuy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:40 pm

yggun wrote:"Have you ever been convicted of, pled guilty or nolo contendere to, or received a period of supervision for, any offense other than a minor traffic or parking violation?"

Should I answer "yes" to the above question for a disciplinary suspension from high school? I got a 2-day disciplinary suspension during my sophomore year in high school due to a small fight in school (no arrest, no charge). [...]

The common advice is to disclose everything. I'd say there's no need to in this case. The question concerns legal matters. While public schools are run by the government, being suspended is not the same as being convicted and put under house arrest.

However, there is probably another question concerning academic suspension, etc. Read all of the questions very carefully; you probably would want to mention it in the context of a question like that.

pwyoung

Postby pwyoung » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:57 pm

You don't need to disclose this.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:59 pm

I just reread through all my applications. Out of the 13 I did 4 require disclosure of all disciplinary actions at ANY school, which I assume would mean high school as well. I am really freaking out now because I was a major fuck up in high school and was suspended countless times. I think I am going to call the schools tomorrow and see if they really want all that info, if yes I will prob just withdraw my apps.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:48 pm

I was sent to detention in high school and didn't disclose - am I going to not pass the bar now ?? :shock:

Oh, and in Kindergarten I was sent to the principals office for violating my teacher's 3 strike rule. Problem is she only gave me two strikes. I plan on discussing this in an addendum , though. I did get a lollipop from the Principal as I was leaving.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:03 pm

well thanks for making me feel like a complete pansy. But I am talking about more serious offenses like getting out of school suspension for fighting.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:07 pm

yggun wrote:"Have you ever been convicted of, pled guilty or nolo contendere to, or received a period of supervision for, any offense other than a minor traffic or parking violation?"

Should I answer "yes" to the above question for a disciplinary suspension from high school? I got a 2-day disciplinary suspension during my sophomore year in high school due to a small fight in school (no arrest, no charge). I figure it is not a misdemeanor nor felony I should disclose on my application but would it be considered an "offense" as used in above question? I tried to contact the school but phone line's always busy and they never replied to my email.

Thanks.

I'm number 1 on the disclosure bandwagon but this question is clearly taliking about legal action. There is usu a seperate question about school diciplinary action and this is usu limited to college and grad school.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:08 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:well thanks for making me feel like a complete pansy. But I am talking about more serious offenses like getting out of school suspension for fighting.

Yeah but how would they ever know? I don't remember seeing any that didn't restrict it just to post-secondary school but wasn't looking that closely. I find it nearly impossible that 1) they would even have record of your suspension 7+ years after graduation -- not on my transcript at least 2) That C&F would care.

And like the Marine Corps say: If you didn't get arrested, it didn't happen.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:12 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
eaglemuncher wrote:well thanks for making me feel like a complete pansy. But I am talking about more serious offenses like getting out of school suspension for fighting.

Yeah but how would they ever know? I don't remember seeing any that didn't restrict it just to post-secondary school but wasn't looking that closely. I find it nearly impossible that 1) they would even have record of your suspension 7+ years after graduation -- not on my transcript at least 2) That C&F would care.

I think you are prob right, however, Fordham, ND, American , and Penn State say ANY school, all my other app say post-secondary school.

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:07 am

Poor thing....the answer is NO!!! People like me would answer yes. I was caught shoplifting at 18 and was arrested. It was 10 years ago and it was expunged but I still answer yes. Hope that answers your question.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:53 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

I think you are prob right, however, Fordham, ND, American , and Penn State say ANY school, all my other app say post-secondary school.

Even when they say any school, they mean post-sec. I'm willing to bet people that disclose things like suspension from highschool serve only as sources of amusing anecdotes for adcomms. They get your transcripts from your colleges, not your highschool.

Again:

like the Marine Corps say: If you didn't get arrested, it didn't happen.

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:32 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I was sent to detention in high school and didn't disclose - am I going to not pass the bar now ?? :shock:

Oh, and in Kindergarten I was sent to the principals office for violating my teacher's 3 strike rule. Problem is she only gave me two strikes. I plan on discussing this in an addendum , though. I did get a lollipop from the Principal as I was leaving.

lollerskates right here

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks.

Everyone got suspended in high school. No one will care. Don't worry.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”