How to go about negotiating with a school for more money?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CrimLaw300

How to go about negotiating with a school for more money?

Postby CrimLaw300 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:20 pm

I have a full-tuition scholarship to Baylor, and a 30,000$ scholarship to Tulane. I would prefer to go to Tulane over Baylor, but I am very debt averse and would like to graduate with no debt.

How do I go about using my full-tuition scholly to Baylor to squeeze a little more money out of Tulane?

Through e-mail or phone?
Do I simply state what I said above: I want to go to Tulane, but Baylor is offering me a full-tuition scholarship and I was hoping Tulane could match this... ??

Thanks.

Capitol A

Re: How to go about negotiating with a school for more money?

Postby Capitol A » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:32 pm

CrimLaw300 wrote:I have a full-tuition scholarship to Baylor, and a 30,000$ scholarship to Tulane. I would prefer to go to Tulane over Baylor, but I am very debt averse and would like to graduate with no debt.

How do I go about using my full-tuition scholly to Baylor to squeeze a little more money out of Tulane?

Through e-mail or phone?
Do I simply state what I said above: I want to go to Tulane, but Baylor is offering me a full-tuition scholarship and I was hoping Tulane could match this... ??

Thanks.

I don't have an answer for you, but have been wondering about the same thing.

CrimLaw300

Postby CrimLaw300 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:36 pm

Whoops. Just found this which explains everything: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373

gambelda

Postby gambelda » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:37 pm

First of all. Congratulations on the acceptance and the scholarship!

I would call admission directly with a practiced statement of how you have been accepted to Tulane and a few of their direct competitors and how you would love to go to Tulane because of what they can provide you and what you can provide Tulane (diversity, professionalism, etc.) What things (clinicals) you are excited about and want to get involved with. Then state you have a full scholarship to Baylor and find it difficult to accept Tulane's offer while this full-ride is in play. Would they be willing to consider increasing their scholarship to you and/or matching Baylor's scholarship.

The worst thing they can say is no and then you aren't hurt in any way. Also, some people may say that you should do this through a follow-up email or attachment or whatever, but I would recommend a direct phone call because its an active form of communication rather than a passive form (email or letter). Just make sure you are talking to the right person who can make those decisions.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:41 pm

The most likely response will be a no. The general consensus is that Tulane doesn't negotiate. Of course you can try though. I would do it in an email...

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:47 pm

CrimLaw300 wrote:Whoops. Just found this which explains everything: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

wow. that's about the most useful thread ever.

/thread.

thank you for the hyperlink

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”