Do "Why ________" statements affect merit aid offers?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aredhello

Do "Why ________" statements affect merit aid offers?

Postby aredhello » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:15 am

Hi all,

I only ended up writing "Why ________" statements for those schools that I really wanted to attend, but still blanketed the T14 in the hopes of receiving merit aid from schools that I wouldn't normally consider.

Besides the obvious fact that "Why _______" statements do help with favorable admissions decisions, is there any evidence to suggest that they are taken into account when making merit aid offers?

JJDancer

Re: Do "Why ________" statements affect merit aid offers?

Postby JJDancer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:53 am

This might be anal/paranoid but any chance why X's affect merit aid negatively?
I guess most TLSers wouldn't know but is there the possibility that if they see how interested you are, they will need less $$ as bait?
lol.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:59 am

JJDancer wrote:This might be anal/paranoid but any chance why X's affect merit aid negatively?
I guess most TLSers wouldn't know but is there the possibility that if they see how interested you are, they will need less $$ as bait?
lol.

I don't think it's anything like an ED contract. Just being very interested doesn't mean you don't have outside options. If you would have gotten money without it I doubt you would be precluded from getting it because you wrote a convincing "Why X"

MoS

Postby MoS » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:34 pm

I think it cuts both ways. Schools don't want to give you merit aid if they don't think you are going to come, because they don't want to tie up money waiting for you to decline. Then again they might just figure in a certain percentage of non acceptances with higher numbers.

The other way of looking at it is that if they know you are going to come then why spend the money on you, especially if they can use it to lure someone with above median numbers at the school.

In my experience, it doesn't affect you negatively. I know I got larger merit awards at some of the schools I got into when I wrote a good why x than people with similar numbers who didn't write a why x. But other softs might have had an effect on that as well. Its not going to get you money if are below the median in both GPA and LSAT but a good why x might get you in. If you are at the middle to 75th percentile a good why x gets you money. If you are above 75th percentile, expect admission and money even without a why x, unless its HYS.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”