Pending criminal charge issue

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
futurejd356868
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:25 pm

Pending criminal charge issue

Postby futurejd356868 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 am

Hello all, I'm new here and did some searching, but haven't found a situation similar to mine yet..

I was charged over the summer with a misdemeanor obstruction of justice. Long story short, instead of getting a conviction, I plea bargained and in exchange for community service and staying out of trouble, I will have the charge dismissed in less than a year. I don't have to go back to court or anything, just show that I completed all my stuff before a deadline, however, because of this, my charge is technically "pending."

On applications they are asking if I have any pending charges or where I'm about to be charged. Does this include my charge or are they talking about charges in which one has yet to be tried. I of course will answer "yes" to the question of have I ever been arrested or charged, and will then attach an addendum explaining. I want to be honest, but I don't want to select something that will disqualify me when it really shouldn't apply to me.

Thanks!

User avatar
YankeesFan
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Pending criminal charge issue

Postby YankeesFan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:04 am

Obstruction of justice is a very serious charge for potential law students, students that one day, might, you know, be responsible for the distribution of justice. I would wait a year until the charges are dismissed. I know that sucks and that is probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but wait until you don't have to report the offense.

HowdyYall
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Pending criminal charge issue

Postby HowdyYall » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:08 am

if you say yes to one of the C &F questions, whats the harm in saying yes to two?

futurejd356868
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:25 pm

Re: Pending criminal charge issue

Postby futurejd356868 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:13 am

YankeesFan wrote:Obstruction of justice is a very serious charge for potential law students, students that one day, might, you know, be responsible for the distribution of justice. I would wait a year until the charges are dismissed. I know that sucks and that is probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but wait until you don't have to report the offense.


Yeah it does suck. I was hoping that I could diffuse it though in the addendum. Basically I mouthed off to an officer because I was upset that my friend was being arrested for drunk in public in front of a bar. I had been drinking too, but got charged with obstruction because he said I interfered with the arrest. I understand your point though, but regardless, I'd still have to report it next year since these apps ask if I have ever been charged.

futurejd356868
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:25 pm

Re: Pending criminal charge issue

Postby futurejd356868 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:15 am

HowdyYall wrote:if you say yes to one of the C &F questions, whats the harm in saying yes to two?


Many people have once been charged or even convicted of offenses, but the majority won't currently have charges "pending." If the app's question is referring more to charges that have yet to even be tried, then I don't want to answer yes if for some reason that question is a disqualifier.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Pending criminal charge issue

Postby ahduth » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:24 am

futurejd356868 wrote:
HowdyYall wrote:if you say yes to one of the C &F questions, whats the harm in saying yes to two?


Many people have once been charged or even convicted of offenses, but the majority won't currently have charges "pending." If the app's question is referring more to charges that have yet to even be tried, then I don't want to answer yes if for some reason that question is a disqualifier.


It's all the same offense, check whatever the pertinent boxes are on the application and then explain in the addendum. It sounds like you were just being a complete asshat, not some sort of criminal mastermind. And I agree that you'll still have to report it next year, so it probably doesn't matter either way, unless I'm misunderstanding the way the language is set up on the applications.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Pending criminal charge issue

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:25 am

futurejd356868 wrote:On applications they are asking if I have any pending charges
futurejd356868 wrote:Does this include my charge
futurejd356868 wrote:my charge is technically "pending."

edubs003
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Pending criminal charge issue

Postby edubs003 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:47 am

I spoke to the Dean at UVA a month ago and he said that a pending charge will be an automatic denied. Be very careful about checking that box. Who knows if other schools are the same way.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests