"Work Experience"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Korey

"Work Experience"

Postby Korey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:50 pm

I am confused as to whats considered "work experience."

When the deans say that they favor applicants who have gained knowledge in the real world and have had work experience, what does this really mean??? Does this mean work in a law firm doing office work? Does this mean working somewhere other than a grocery store?

bdubs

Re: "Work Experience"

Postby bdubs » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:56 pm

Any full-time post graduate work will be considered "work experience". There is some debate as to what constitutes good work experience, but generally professional career type work would be seen in a more favorable light than unskilled or menial jobs.

Paralegal work is not extraordinary experience, but it is certainly more in the professional sphere of work.

cortnf

Postby cortnf » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:57 pm

Korey wrote:I am confused as to whats considered "work experience."

When the deans say that they favor applicants who have gained knowledge in the real world and have had work experience, what does this really mean??? Does this mean work in a law firm doing office work? Does this mean working somewhere other than a grocery store?

It's pretty general, and obviously some kinds of WE are better than others. Seems like doing anything productive or relevant is beneficial. Working in a law firm doing office work definitely fits the bill, particularly if you gain some kind of legal experience in the process. I've also heard that working on a team is good. I wouldn't go so far as to say anything other than working in a grocery store, but there are surely a wide variety of things that should "count".

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:58 pm

Common thought is that they are talking about professional work experience i.e. CPA, Engineer, Finance, Business Management, IT, Health Services, not you working at Blockbuster or CVS or some other shit.

Korey

Postby Korey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:01 pm

Edited to make more sense:

So, if I were to work at a law firm over the summer, say in the summers between soph and junior year of college, would this work experience be irrelevant? I don't understand why they want you to have post college work? Whats the difference between doing it during or after college??
Last edited by Korey on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:03 pm

Korey wrote:So is a summer job at a law firm considered work experience, even if your in undergrad?

No, not in the sense that it is being referred to by the law school deans.

cortnf

Postby cortnf » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:04 pm

bdubs wrote:
Korey wrote:So is a summer job at a law firm considered work experience, even if your in undergrad?

No, not in the sense that it is being referred to by the law school deans.

+1. WE is full-time, postgraduate work

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:04 pm

It can pretty much mean anything. Even in a grocery store if it was a managerial position. I think one of the big reasons admissions officials want to see this is to see that you can hold a job and have had to deal with paying bills, showing up to work everyday, and dealing with people in a professional manner. Of course some things are better than others (just imagine you were trying to impress someone you met at a bar) but they all have some merit. Many people straight out of undergrad have never held a real job or had to make ends meet and undergrad classes aren't really comparable.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:06 pm

Korey wrote:Edited to make more sense:

So, if I were to work at a law firm over the summer, say in the summers between soph and junior year of college, would this work experience be irrelevant? I don't understand why they want you to have post college work? Whats the difference between doing it during or after college??

People tend not to give interns any real responsibility because of the temporary nature of their employment. Law school deans know this. Even if you did have a semblance of real full time work experience, it would be difficult to demonstrate convincingly.

Korey

Postby Korey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:15 pm

Well, this thread is depressing. Tells me basically that pulling off the typical low percentage of straight out of college admits into the t14 law school is going to be REALLY tough. lol.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:17 pm

Korey wrote:Well, this thread is depressing. Tells me basically that pulling off the typical low percentage of straight out of college admits into the t14 law school is going to be REALLY tough. lol.

If you have the numbers for the school it shouldnt matter that much.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:18 pm

Korey wrote:Well, this thread is depressing. Tells me basically that pulling off the typical low percentage of straight out of college admits into the t14 law school is going to be REALLY tough. lol.

There is a reason why they want people with some work experience. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Numbers will almost always be able to surmount the lack of work experience though. Get good grades and do well on the LSAT and you should have no problem cracking the T14 without WE.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:22 pm

I'm in undergrad and I will be going to a t14 so it isn't impossible. I work a significant amount in school in jobs that have above average responsibility but nothing too crazy or above the average post-college entry level position. You can always apply and if you don't get a bite then get two years of WE and possibly boost your LSAT for higher ranked schools. That was my plan anyway

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”