Apply now or wait for this semester's grades

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
super6
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 am

Apply now or wait for this semester's grades

Postby super6 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Right now I have a 3.58 GPA. My 2nd LOR should arrive at LSAC tomorrow which means I could send all my applications in then and be done, they're already all filled out. Alternatively, I could wait until this semester's grades get in. I think that after this semester my GPA will be 3.69.
So the question is, should I apply tomorrow to get in earlier in the cycle or should I wait until this semester's final grades are official on December 18th and send in a new transcript to LSAC (by the way, has anyone done this before? How does one send an updated transcript?), which would probably mean the transcript wouldn't go through until after Christmas?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Apply now or wait for this semester's grades

Postby im_blue » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:41 pm

Assuming you're a senior with similar course loads every semester, the highest you can go is about (3.58 * 6 + 4.33) / 7 = 3.69. Are you getting straight A+'s this semester?

At this point, you're looking at about a month's delay to get this semester's grades in. Might be worth it if this semester bumps you over the GPA medians of law schools on your list.

Curry

Re: Apply now or wait for this semester's grades

Postby Curry » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:43 pm

How does that formula work for the quarter system?

User avatar
4for44
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: Apply now or wait for this semester's grades

Postby 4for44 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:43 pm

im_blue wrote:Assuming you're a senior with similar course loads every semester, the highest you can go is about (3.58 * 6 + 4.33) / 7 = 3.69. Are you getting straight A+'s this semester?

At this point, you're looking at about a month's delay to get this semester's grades in. Might be worth it if this semester bumps you over the GPA medians of law schools on your list.


Now that's the same type of "gotchya" response that we real Americans just can't stand...

User avatar
4for44
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: Apply now or wait for this semester's grades

Postby 4for44 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:45 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:How does that formula work for the quarter system?


Assuming you are in the second quarter of your senior year it would be ((GPA*13+(gpa this quarter))/14
Last edited by 4for44 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Apply now or wait for this semester's grades

Postby im_blue » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:46 pm

4for44 wrote:
curryinaninstant wrote:How does that formula work for the quarter system?


Assuming you are in the second quarter of your senior year it would be ((GPA*13+(gpa this semester))/14

It's still fall quarter (1st quarter of senior year), so it would be roughly (9*GPA + fall GPA) / 10.
Last edited by im_blue on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

super6
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: Apply now or wait for this semester's grades

Postby super6 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:46 pm

im_blue wrote:Assuming you're a senior with similar course loads every semester, the highest you can go is about (3.58 * 6 + 4.33) / 7 = 3.69. Are you getting straight A+'s this semester?

At this point, you're looking at about a month's delay to get this semester's grades in. Might be worth it if this semester bumps you over the GPA medians of law schools on your list.

I have 88 credit hours, 9 of which are from AP tests that don't count toward GPA (they have an "S" grade). I'm taking 16 credit hours this semester and anticipate 3 of those hours will get a B grade, the rest will get an A.

User avatar
4for44
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: Apply now or wait for this semester's grades

Postby 4for44 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:48 pm

im_blue wrote:
4for44 wrote:
curryinaninstant wrote:How does that formula work for the quarter system?


Assuming you are in the second quarter of your senior year it would be ((GPA*13+(gpa this quarter))/14

It's still fall quarter (1st quarter of senior year), so it would be roughly (12*GPA + fall GPA) / 13.


that it would.. shows my knowledge of when quarters start/end... :/

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Apply now or wait for this semester's grades

Postby im_blue » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:48 pm

super6 wrote:
im_blue wrote:Assuming you're a senior with similar course loads every semester, the highest you can go is about (3.58 * 6 + 4.33) / 7 = 3.69. Are you getting straight A+'s this semester?

At this point, you're looking at about a month's delay to get this semester's grades in. Might be worth it if this semester bumps you over the GPA medians of law schools on your list.

I have 88 credit hours, 9 of which are from AP tests that don't count toward GPA (they have an "S" grade). I'm taking 16 credit hours this semester and anticipate 3 of those hours will get a B grade, the rest will get an A.

Then you're looking at (79*3.58 + 13*4 + 3*3) / (79 + 16) = 3.62. With that small of a bump, I would just apply now and update later.

super6
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: Apply now or wait for this semester's grades

Postby super6 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:00 pm

im_blue wrote:
super6 wrote:
im_blue wrote:Assuming you're a senior with similar course loads every semester, the highest you can go is about (3.58 * 6 + 4.33) / 7 = 3.69. Are you getting straight A+'s this semester?

At this point, you're looking at about a month's delay to get this semester's grades in. Might be worth it if this semester bumps you over the GPA medians of law schools on your list.

I have 88 credit hours, 9 of which are from AP tests that don't count toward GPA (they have an "S" grade). I'm taking 16 credit hours this semester and anticipate 3 of those hours will get a B grade, the rest will get an A.

Then you're looking at (79*3.58 + 13*4 + 3*3) / (79 + 16) = 3.62. With that small of a bump, I would just apply now and update later.

Yes, you're right. I think I accidentally added my expected grades twice or something.
So, going from a 3.58 to a 3.62 isn't as big of a deal. How does updating after you've submitted your applications work? Would I only want to do that if I got waitlisted?

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Apply now or wait for this semester's grades

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:22 pm

Don't wait unless it pushes you above a median.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Apply now or wait for this semester's grades

Postby im_blue » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:44 pm

super6 wrote:
im_blue wrote:
super6 wrote:
im_blue wrote:Assuming you're a senior with similar course loads every semester, the highest you can go is about (3.58 * 6 + 4.33) / 7 = 3.69. Are you getting straight A+'s this semester?

At this point, you're looking at about a month's delay to get this semester's grades in. Might be worth it if this semester bumps you over the GPA medians of law schools on your list.

I have 88 credit hours, 9 of which are from AP tests that don't count toward GPA (they have an "S" grade). I'm taking 16 credit hours this semester and anticipate 3 of those hours will get a B grade, the rest will get an A.

Then you're looking at (79*3.58 + 13*4 + 3*3) / (79 + 16) = 3.62. With that small of a bump, I would just apply now and update later.

Yes, you're right. I think I accidentally added my expected grades twice or something.
So, going from a 3.58 to a 3.62 isn't as big of a deal. How does updating after you've submitted your applications work? Would I only want to do that if I got waitlisted?

Apply now, send transcript as soon as it's available, LSAC sends out updated reports to each law school.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138 and 3 guests