specific reasons you cannot assume top grades Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BruceWayne

Gold

Re: specific reasons you cannot assume top grades

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:09 pm

angiej wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Well, given that he wants to do PI work, taking a full ride somewhere is a good idea, tbh. Yeah yeah, IBR, blah blah, but PI is PI. However, he should realized that even if he's top 1% in his class, getting a DOJ gig may be out of reach.

As far as the grade thing - law school grading is a largely arbitrary exercise; it tests skills unrelated to anything used anywhere else in life, a lot of it comes to chance, etc. He's being a moron.
http://www.justice.gov/oarm/arm/hp/lawschools.htm
According to this link even T3 and T4 grads get in.
As they should. It's one thing for private legal employers to be elitist, but it's entirely inappropriate for a democratic government to be so.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:11 pm

angiej wrote:http://www.justice.gov/oarm/arm/hp/lawschools.htm
Perhaps. How many? Raw numbers? And how many of them had previous personal or professional connections to Washington?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:15 pm

FunkyJD wrote:No advice, but you should see if you can securitize his 1L grades, and then short them.
You have a very, very promising career ahead of you.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:18 pm

BTW, my above quote wasn't to be a prick. I knew someone from a T3 who got DOJ Honors. By their own account, they stood out as a rarity.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Renzo wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:No advice, but you should see if you can securitize his 1L grades, and then short them.
Either that, or a long prison sentence.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dex

New

Post by Dex » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:24 pm

cortnf wrote:
Dex wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Christina Hendricks
Joan's a babe...I'm more of a Betty fan myself though - you can't beat a name like January Jones either.
january jones is hands down one of the most beautiful women on the planet. betty is a fucking cunt though.
This. Exactly this.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:27 pm

angiej wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Well, given that he wants to do PI work, taking a full ride somewhere is a good idea, tbh. Yeah yeah, IBR, blah blah, but PI is PI. However, he should realized that even if he's top 1% in his class, getting a DOJ gig may be out of reach.

As far as the grade thing - law school grading is a largely arbitrary exercise; it tests skills unrelated to anything used anywhere else in life, a lot of it comes to chance, etc. He's being a moron.
And? Exception, rule, etc. etc. Just because some get in sometimes doesn't mean that 1% at any particular low T1 school isn't effectively out of reach. It's going to be an uphill battle. And lol@the idea that the DOJ isn't elitist in it's hiring, "inappropriate in a democracy" or not.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:31 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
angiej wrote:http://www.justice.gov/oarm/arm/hp/lawschools.htm
Perhaps. How many? Raw numbers? And how many of them had previous personal or professional connections to Washington?
I have no clue, but you raise good points. I only know about the three schools that I am seriously considering (Valpo, MSU, and JMLS) and they each had multiple grads get accepted last year. One of whom I've been in communication with.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:50 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
angiej wrote:

And? Exception, rule, etc. etc. Just because some get in sometimes doesn't mean that 1% at any particular low T1 school isn't effectively out of reach. It's going to be an uphill battle. And lol@the idea that the DOJ isn't elitist in it's hiring, "inappropriate in a democracy" or not.
+1. Go find a classified type deal for DOJ. There was one I was looking at for North Carolina and it said something about top schools only. They didn't even pretend to hide their "elitism." They don't want to waste tax payer's money reviewing people from t2-4 (with exception of Law Review ppl of course=) ). And I think thats a good decision.

Also, people who got in to top schools got there by merit. I fail to see the elitism in only be interested in hiring them. I mean, is hiring someone with better credentials elitist?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:01 pm

Renzo wrote:
+1. this is absolutely one of the best posts i've seen in quite some time. well done.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:21 pm

Classified ad? yeah. Riiiiiiight.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:08 am

FunkyJD wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Either that, or a long prison sentence.
Nah. A bailout and some groveling before senate hearings, maybe.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:22 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
angiej wrote:

I meant that in a semi sarcastic way. Believe me I know that they're elitist. The Criminal Division put on a presentation here a couple of weeks ago and it was a bit ridiculous how up front he was about their elitism. Frankly, with what he was saying, I almost wonder why they even came to give the presentation.

Whoever said that they shouldn't be "wasting taxpayer money" by looking at t2 applicants is being ridiculous. Exactly what type of schools do you think most taxpayers attend? Definitely not HYS (which is basically what the DOJ crim speaker was alleviating to when he came). I can't believe I'm saying this, but Clarence Thomas' comments on this issue are dead on.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cortnf

Bronze

Post by cortnf » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:10 am

Dex wrote:
cortnf wrote:
Dex wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Christina Hendricks
Joan's a babe...I'm more of a Betty fan myself though - you can't beat a name like January Jones either.
january jones is hands down one of the most beautiful women on the planet. betty is a fucking cunt though.
This. Exactly this.
dex you are quickly becoming one of my favorite posters on tls

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:34 am

Lawl Shcool wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
lol. No. I know plenty of people who did all the right things and ended up median. I also know people (myself included) who did all of the "wrong" things (I never read, went to class sporadically, and outlined less than a week before exams) who end up in the top 1%.

So... yeah.
You may be the exception to the rule but clearly the people you knew were not doing all the right things if they ended up at median.
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG

Remember. Median is not failure; it's the median. It means that you're doing about as well as expected. Some did better, others did worse. Median, give or take, IS WHERE EVERYONE SHOULD EXPECT THEY'LL END UP WHEN STARTING 1L.

By all means read the E&Es, make sweet outlines, and do all the rest, but don't go expecting that everyone else isn't doing the same thing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”