Ivy League with a 150's LSAT?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ATR

Re: Ivy League with a 150's LSAT?

Postby ATR » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:35 am

r6_philly wrote:
atresia wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Nothing wrong with applying places where your numbers are well below 25th. Just don't expect much anything.

FTFY (IMO)

I am very happy for you that you won't have to take a chance with a hail mary. (I am not sarcastic, seriously happy for you)

Well, that remains to be seen. I'm retaking next Saturday. Depending how things go, I may apply to a reach or two that I have fee waivers from. Good luck on your cycle!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:40 am

atresia wrote:
ahduth wrote:What the hell are amazing softs. Beanie babies? Some sort of feminine hygiene product?

I want to understand the premise of these discussions.

Amazing softs, off the top of my head:

Olympic medal
Held highly-competitive elected office
Award-winning musician, artist, etc.
Professional athlete
Significant military accomplishments
Unique work experience

Softs that, while impressive, likely won't help much (if at all):

SGA president
Honors thesis
Club president
Varsity athlete (without acclaim)

So I have very amazing softs, multiple of what you listed, does that make me more credible than you? Also I go to a Ivy FWIW. :wink:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 am

atresia wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
atresia wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Nothing wrong with applying places where your numbers are well below 25th. Just don't expect much anything.

FTFY (IMO)

I am very happy for you that you won't have to take a chance with a hail mary. (I am not sarcastic, seriously happy for you)

Well, that remains to be seen. I'm retaking next Saturday. Depending how things go, I may apply to a reach or two that I have fee waivers from. Good luck on your cycle!

Good luck on your retake. You should believe in reaches ;)

ATR

Postby ATR » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:42 am

r6_philly wrote:So I have very amazing softs, multiple of what you listed, does that make me more credible than you? Also I go to a Ivy FWIW. :wink:

Yes... enjoy $$$$ at T6! :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:43 am

atresia wrote:
r6_philly wrote:So I have very amazing softs, multiple of what you listed, does that make me more credible than you? Also I go to a Ivy FWIW. :wink:

Yes... enjoy $$$$ at T6! :D

Ya right. My LSAT is too low for T6, they are all "considers".

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:50 am

ISTAND wrote:
atresia wrote:Extreme cases are obviously different. In general, though, I doubt most of those sub-160s had stories similar to the one you outlined above. Look, I believe in making breaks and beating the odds, but for a plurality of those applicants, the $75 wasn't worth it. Plain and simple.

You're extremely arrogant and condescending. If a below average applicant wants to give it a shot who are YOU to discourage them? What a lawyer you'd be. To the OP don't pay attention to this fool I wish you all the luck. Too bad there's no test for character atresia bec you'd FAIL. I've been on this site a short while and frankly am sick of all the arrogant people. Same goes for patriot1208 - maybe YOU lack soft factors, or at least part of your brain. Shaggier1 too etc.

lol, nice, you called out shaggier. That guy seems wicked reasonable. Which, in and of itself, is a reason to call him out. Reasonable people have no place in the legal profession.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding what's being discussed in this thread. Your odds of getting into an Ivy League law school with an LSAT below 160 are astronomically small. You must be an URM, and have some incredibly unique and compelling reason that would cause a school to overlook your inability to score well on a test that everyone else was able to handle much more easily. I'd say give it a shot if it's just one school. Just don't hold your breath.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:52 am

ahduth wrote:
lol, nice, you called out shaggier. That guy seems wicked reasonable. Which, in and of itself, is a reason to call him out. Reasonable people have no place in the legal profession.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding what's being discussed in this thread. Your odds of getting into an Ivy League law school with an LSAT below 160 are astronomically small. You must be an URM, and have some incredibly unique and compelling reason that would cause a school to overlook your inability to score well on a test that everyone else was able to handle much more easily. I'd say give it a shot if it's just one school. Just don't hold your breath.

I am calling you out for being reasonable right here.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:55 am

atresia wrote:Softs that, while impressive, likely won't help much (if at all):

I'm a little upset you grouped these with the others, because being a d1 athlete is far more impressive than those. But that doesn't mean you aren't right that it probably won't help me much.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:56 am

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Case in point. I will not be involved in the legal profession, as I will get YP'd by MVP and everyone ranking lower, and drummed out of CCN and above because my personal statement was too reasonable, and not memorable enough.

They get rid of reasonable people with good reason. Reasonable people make terrible lawyers.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:59 am

ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:

Case in point. I will not be involved in the legal profession, as I will get YP'd by MVP and everyone ranking lower, and drummed out of CCN and above because my personal statement was too reasonable, and not memorable enough.

They get rid of reasonable people with good reason. Reasonable people make terrible lawyers.

What does a statement that is "too reasonable" say?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:00 am

Patriot1208 wrote:

I'm a little upset you grouped these with the others, because being a d1 athlete is far more impressive than those. But that doesn't mean you aren't right that it probably won't help me much.

Depends what sport I think.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:01 am

arism87 wrote:
ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:

What does a statement that is "too reasonable" say?

"you should totally not admit me just to be reasonable" HTH

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:01 am

arism87 wrote:What does a statement that is "too reasonable" say?

"Too reasonable" is similar to milquetoast, but without the social or cultural resonance.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:01 am

ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:

ED to one of MVP. Problem solved.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:02 am

ahduth wrote:

I am very reasonable.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:05 am

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:

I am very reasonable.

Unreasonably confident in your reasonableness, one might say.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:05 am

Um I'm pretty sure that the 158 outed himself on LSN as a uber legacy i'd post the link to his profile but i'm not sure thats within internet etiquette. feel free to inform me otherwise and i'll put up the link

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:05 am

to clarify thats the one 158 at Yale

ATR

Postby ATR » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:06 am

Patriot1208 wrote:

I personally think it's a great accomplishment, but as far as I can tell, adcomms don't.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:06 am

ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:

I am very reasonable.

I agree with your assessment, just because I am so reasonable.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:07 am

FlanAl wrote:Um I'm pretty sure that the 158 outed himself on LSN as a uber legacy i'd post the link to his profile but i'm not sure thats within internet etiquette. feel free to inform me otherwise and i'll put up the link

Otherwise.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:07 am

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:08 am

r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
ahduth wrote:

I am very reasonable.

I agree with your assessment, just because I am so reasonable.

I am going to call myself out for some very subtle B trolling in my above thread, in case anyone missed it. I think that school exists in a separate space in my mind, just because its admissions process seems so very reasonable. Examining candidates with a view to creating an intellectually sophisticated and diverse student body?

Too reasonable. There, I'm simply going to be denied admission because I applied after Thanksgiving lol.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:09 am

FlanAl wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Fingerscrossed27

This looks like a flame.

Edit: not your post, but the LSN poster.
Last edited by ahduth on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:09 am

FlanAl wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Fingerscrossed27

Ok the only real question is why his brother went to Columbia. His brother would have gotten super legacy also...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”