Ivy League with a 150's LSAT? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arism87

Silver

Re: Ivy League with a 150's LSAT?

Post by arism87 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:57 pm

atresia wrote:Haha, fine. I'll put it as simply as possible: I don't think it's worth applying with sub-25% stats as a non-URM and without a unique element to your application unless you have a fee waiver.

Where are all of the other realists/pessimists to back me up? :lol:
LOL I'll give you this: if someone did this at a lot of schools, or instead of studying and retaking, or something along those lines, I would not understand.

But throwing a few hail marys out there while you're at it.. why not. I certainly won't judge, I'll leave it at that.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:58 pm

atresia wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Nothing wrong with applying places where your numbers are well below 25th. Just don't expect much anything.
FTFY (IMO)
Adopting a stoic attitude towards law school admissions! Brilliant!

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:58 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
atresia wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Nothing wrong with applying places where your numbers are well below 25th. Just don't expect much anything.
FTFY (IMO)
Adopting a stoic attitude towards law school admissions! Brilliant!
Why thank you!

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:59 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Nothing wrong with applying places where your numbers are well below 25th. Just don't expect much.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say... it's fine if you believe in miracles, and you want to give it a shot. Just don't plan on it.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:01 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Nothing wrong with applying places where your numbers are well below 25th. Just don't expect much.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say... it's fine if you believe in miracles, and you want to give it a shot. Just don't plan on it.
These are the only places I am applying. And I have made very firm plans around it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trutherd

New

Post by trutherd » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:07 pm

im_blue wrote:[Duke] took 30/736 in the 155-159 range.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... AC5156.pdf
The next highest ranked schools who release the grid are UCLA, Texas, and USC. UCLA took 66/1415 (4.7%) in the 155-159 range and 9/881 (1.0%) in the 150-154 range; Texas took 61/957 (6.4%) 155-159 and 11/610 (1.8%) 150-154; USC took 62/1155 (5.4%) 155-159 and 6/663 (1.0 %) 150-154.

Duke's 30/736 is 4.1%, so Cornell is likely 2-5% 155-159 and 0-1% 150-154.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:11 pm

The next highest ranked schools who release the grid are UCLA, Texas, and USC. UCLA took 66/1415 (4.7%) in the 155-159 range and 9/881 (1.0%) in the 150-154 range; Texas took 61/957 (6.4%) 155-159 and 11/610 (1.8%) 150-154; USC took 62/1155 (5.4%) 155-159 and 6/663 (1.0 %) 150-154.

Duke's 30/736 is 4.1%, so Cornell is likely 2-5% 155-159 and 0-1% 150-154.
Very important questions to ask here:

How many of the 155-159 range were 155 and how many were 159?
How many were URM?
How many had some other incredible soft?

The numbers, by themselves, have a tendency to mislead - even with their very small odds.

I really think the best strategy is to assume it does not happen and focus all of your energy on retaking.

lebroniousjames

Bronze

Post by lebroniousjames » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:12 pm

-
Last edited by lebroniousjames on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbles2

New

Post by jbles2 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:38 pm

Thanks for all the posts. I received the stats I was looking for. I haven't necessarily been pre-occupied with Cornell any more than any other school. I just wanted to know what the stats looked like to see if I wanted to spend $75 applying. I have all the soft factors and a high GPA in my favor. Based on the stats I found, hey why not? The $75 isn't going to break me and I do have a chance, however slim (4%).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:40 pm

jbles2 wrote:Thanks for all the posts. I received the stats I was looking for. I haven't necessarily been pre-occupied with Cornell any more than any other school. I just wanted to know what the stats looked like to see if I wanted to spend $75 applying. I have all the soft factors and a high GPA in my favor. Based on the stats I found, hey why not? The $75 isn't going to break me and I do have a chance.
Just guessing, but the underlined is probably not true.

ISTAND

Bronze

Post by ISTAND » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:01 pm

atresia wrote:Extreme cases are obviously different. In general, though, I doubt most of those sub-160s had stories similar to the one you outlined above. Look, I believe in making breaks and beating the odds, but for a plurality of those applicants, the $75 wasn't worth it. Plain and simple.
You're extremely arrogant and condescending. If a below average applicant wants to give it a shot who are YOU to discourage them? What a lawyer you'd be. To the OP don't pay attention to this fool I wish you all the luck. Too bad there's no test for character atresia bec you'd FAIL. I've been on this site a short while and frankly am sick of all the arrogant people. Same goes for patriot1208 - maybe YOU lack soft factors, or at least part of your brain. Shaggier1 too etc.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:15 pm

ISTAND wrote:
atresia wrote:Extreme cases are obviously different. In general, though, I doubt most of those sub-160s had stories similar to the one you outlined above. Look, I believe in making breaks and beating the odds, but for a plurality of those applicants, the $75 wasn't worth it. Plain and simple.
You're extremely arrogant and condescending. If a below average applicant wants to give it a shot who are YOU to discourage them? What a lawyer you'd be. To the OP don't pay attention to this fool I wish you all the luck. Too bad there's no test for character atresia bec you'd FAIL. I've been on this site a short while and frankly am sick of all the arrogant people. Same goes for patriot1208 - maybe YOU lack soft factors, or at least part of your brain. Shaggier1 too etc.
Giving straight forward answers are just that, straight forward. 9 times out of 10 someone on here says they have strong softs they don't understand what constitutes strong softs for LS admissions. And, telling someone they have a 1% chance of admission when, in reality, it's less than 1%, is just being straight forward. It isn't arrogant or condescending to answer someones question honestly. If you are that sensitive or are just looking for comfort, ask a friend who will pad the truth for you.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:19 pm

ISTAND wrote:
You're extremely arrogant and condescending. If a below average applicant wants to give it a shot who are YOU to discourage them? What a lawyer you'd be. To the OP don't pay attention to this fool I wish you all the luck. Too bad there's no test for character atresia bec you'd FAIL. I've been on this site a short while and frankly am sick of all the arrogant people. Same for patriot208- maybe YOU lack soft factors, or at least part of your brain.
Yes atresia, how dare you behave in a way which suggests that you can competently perform a cost-benefit analysis and examine likelihoods from an objective viewpoint. Your clients will never want that, and particularly not if you serve corporations. You should be like this guy and just tell them they have nothing to worry about. In fact, you should probably never even look for cases that would lead a court to rule against your clients, since that would just mean that you'll lose.

Edited for OH GOD EXAMS WHAT AM I DOING
Last edited by stratocophic on Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ISTAND

Bronze

Post by ISTAND » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:23 pm

I'm not asking anyone to pad the truth but the tone of voice comes through loud and clear.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:29 pm

ISTAND wrote:I'm not asking anyone to pad the truth but the tone of voice comes through loud and clear.
All I'm saying is that there is not a theory in the world other than this one which suggests that applying to Yale is a good idea for people with LSAT scores in the 150s.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:29 pm

ISTAND wrote:I'm not asking anyone to pad the truth but the tone of voice comes through loud and clear.
Actually, on the internet, tone of voice seldom comes through loud and clear. Put the gun down buddy, zombies aren't coming for you.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:34 pm

r6 your story is awesome and makes me feel bad for taking life for granted too much. That being said, you had to take that risk, and you had nothing to lose.

Op does not have to take this risk- he's got amazing softs, 4.0, he could definitly retake and signfiicantly up his chances. Furthermore, theres something to lose- a couple hours and 75 bucks.

Btw, Op probably doesn't really have amazing softs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:35 pm

stratocophic wrote:
All I'm saying is that there is not a theory in the world other than this one which suggests that applying to Yale is a good idea for people with LSAT scores in the 150s.
--ImageRemoved--

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Actually, on the internet, tone of voice seldom comes through loud and clear. Put the gun down buddy, zombies aren't coming for you.
That's what they want you to think.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:41 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
--ImageRemoved--
Win

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:53 pm

What the hell are amazing softs. Beanie babies? Some sort of feminine hygiene product?

I want to understand the premise of these discussions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:49 pm

ISTAND wrote:You're extremely arrogant and condescending. If a below average applicant wants to give it a shot who are YOU to discourage them? What a lawyer you'd be. To the OP don't pay attention to this fool I wish you all the luck. Too bad there's no test for character atresia bec you'd FAIL. I've been on this site a short while and frankly am sick of all the arrogant people. Same goes for patriot1208 - maybe YOU lack soft factors, or at least part of your brain. Shaggier1 too etc.
First of all, I do not mean to come across as "arrogant and condescending" - I am just trying to offer the best advice that I can.

To answer your question, Who am I to discourage someone? Well, if they ask for opinions - which was the purpose of this thread, to solicit opinions from TLS posters - am I supposed to refrain because I may discourage someone who reads? I don't think so. If someone isn't willing to accept a negative answer, then maybe he or she shouldn't ask the question.

Also, you really don't know anything about my character. It's ironic that you make call me condescending and arrogant when, in fact, your post displays both of those qualities: your attitude to my responses is condescending and you arrogantly attack my person. It's also arrogant to think you can deduce one's character from an message board post when it's incredibly difficult to judge one's true character in real life.

I only respond to this just in case someone comes across this thread and wants real advice. OP and anyone else who reads this - do what you want. I believe in only offering my opinion when it is solicited (as it was in this thread). Admittedly, I am not an optimist, but I do believe hard work and perseverance produces results. Just because I don't acquiesce to blind optimistic notions and don't believe in throwing away money doesn't mean I, or posters like me, would fail a "test for character."

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:56 pm

Just like to stick my head in to point out that maximizing one's chances (through re-taking the LSAT, for example) and reaching for the stars are not mutually exclusive.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:00 am

ahduth wrote:What the hell are amazing softs. Beanie babies? Some sort of feminine hygiene product?

I want to understand the premise of these discussions.
Amazing softs, off the top of my head:

Olympic medal
Held highly-competitive elected office
Award-winning musician, artist, etc.
Professional athlete
Significant military accomplishments
Unique work experience

Softs that, while impressive, likely won't help much (if at all):

SGA president
Honors thesis
Club president
Varsity athlete (without acclaim)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:33 am

atresia wrote:
FTFY (IMO)
I am very happy for you that you won't have to take a chance with a hail mary. (I am not sarcastic, seriously happy for you)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”