ED UVA Mid December?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
X_Soda

ED UVA Mid December?

Postby X_Soda » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi everyone,

My numbers are 3.35/170. I applied ED to NYU, knowing full well I have an almost 0% of acceptance there, because it is my dream school. I am awaiting a decision from them and Fordham. If I am rejected at NYU and waitlisted at Fordham (reaaaallllllly hoping this isn't the case... Fordham or Cornell = my second dream schools), I'd like to try my hand at UVA because what I've heard and what I've seen at LSN predicts a decent chance for me. My question is, will I still have a decent chance if I apply around Dec. 15, or whenever I get my acceptances/rejections, or will most of the splitter friendly spots be filled?

YankeesFan

Re: ED UVA Mid December?

Postby YankeesFan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Your getting into both Fordham and Cornell

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:28 pm

You have a decent shot and a very good chance if you are in state for UVA.

I wouldn't be too sure about Cornell. I think you have a much better shot at Georgetown than Cornell with that GPA.

You are almost 100% in at Fordham.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:29 pm

UVA is better than Fordham and Cornell if you don't get into NYU.

EDIT: You have to ED though.

X_Soda

Postby X_Soda » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:50 pm

I'm hoping that's the case for Fordham. I saw a few people whose applications went Under Review at the same time as mine get admitted yesterday, so I've been kind of prematurely freaking out. I know that UVA is a better school rankings-wise than Fordham, but my lifestyle and interests are more suited to NYC. Nonetheless, the UVA atmosphere and quality of education sounds like a great experience, and I would be more than happy to go there if Fordham doesn't pan out for whatever reason.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:52 pm

While many have been accepted, I believe some folks with those numbers have been waitlisted or rejected ED at UVA this cycle. If you would have applied early you'd have a good shot. But who knows right now?

I wouldn't stress though. You should get into Fordham and have a pretty decent shot at Cornell, so it's moot if you would rather go to those schools anyways.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:58 pm

X_Soda wrote:I'm hoping that's the case for Fordham. I saw a few people whose applications went Under Review at the same time as mine get admitted yesterday, so I've been kind of prematurely freaking out. I know that UVA is a better school rankings-wise than Fordham, but my lifestyle and interests are more suited to NYC. Nonetheless, the UVA atmosphere and quality of education sounds like a great experience, and I would be more than happy to go there if Fordham doesn't pan out for whatever reason.

I was in a similar scenario, but ultimately decided to do UVA ED because I felt it gave me a better chance at NY Big Law than both Cornell and Fordham. Ultimately, you'd have to be willing to be out of NY for the next 3 years though, but it will at least give you a better shot of being in NY in the long run.

X_Soda

Postby X_Soda » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:30 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
X_Soda wrote:I'm hoping that's the case for Fordham. I saw a few people whose applications went Under Review at the same time as mine get admitted yesterday, so I've been kind of prematurely freaking out. I know that UVA is a better school rankings-wise than Fordham, but my lifestyle and interests are more suited to NYC. Nonetheless, the UVA atmosphere and quality of education sounds like a great experience, and I would be more than happy to go there if Fordham doesn't pan out for whatever reason.

I was in a similar scenario, but ultimately decided to do UVA ED because I felt it gave me a better chance at NY Big Law than both Cornell and Fordham. Ultimately, you'd have to be willing to be out of NY for the next 3 years though, but it will at least give you a better shot of being in NY in the long run.

That's starting to be my reasoning at this point as well (provided the NYU gods refuse to smile upon me). Do you know if UVA offers any opportunities for summer externships in NYC? Or if firms from the city come to UVA looking for 1L summer workers? That would make it far easier to adjust to living in a college town for three years.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”