State of residency affecting admission?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
daisyduke

State of residency affecting admission?

Postby daisyduke » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:04 am

I'm from a more obscure state... How much could that play a role in my application? Does this give me a bump at all (she asks hopefully haha)?

whymeohgodno

Re: State of residency affecting admission?

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:07 am

Negligible. Only time it matters is for certain state schools (whether you are in state or out of state).

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:37 am

I've heard that it matters for some big state schools (I am mainly looking on the west coast, so I have heard that it matters a little to USC, UCLA, etc.), and in their case, it works more in your favor if youre from California...but then again that may just be a rumor....

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:56 am

Some schools UVA/UT are required to have a certain portion of the matriculated class be in-state residents. IIRC it is 40% at UVA and 65% at UT. I believe there are a couple other schools like this. UNC maybe?

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:30 am

ArchRoark wrote:Some schools UVA/UT are required to have a certain portion of the matriculated class be in-state residents. IIRC it is 40% at UVA and 65% at UT. I believe there are a couple other schools like this. UNC maybe?

I think the most well known effect is in-state residents getting a bump for their in-state public schools.

UVA, UNC, and some Illinois schools are the ones that most often referred to for this.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:04 pm

daisyduke wrote:I'm from a more obscure state... How much could that play a role in my application? Does this give me a bump at all (she asks hopefully haha)?

If you mean for example that you're from North Dakota or Montana and are wondering "Will I get into, say, University of Arizona (do they have a law school?) because it is quite possible I am the only reasonably competitive person in my state to be applying there (and so they can claim to accept someone from every state)?" then I think the answer is no. Buuuut, if you do come from one of those "obscure" states, I'm sure you have SOMETHING that works in favor of you writing a diversity statement :wink:

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:30 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:Buuuut, if you do come from one of those "obscure" states, I'm sure you have SOMETHING that works in favor of you writing a diversity statement :wink:

This. I know two people who wrote their personal statement based on the obscure state they were from and both got into HYS.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:47 pm

Law schools will often mention the number of states represented in their incoming class. So being from an obscure state could be a positive thing.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:56 pm

Perhaps your "obscure state," assuming it doesn't have a law school (or only has one small one), has a matriculation agreement with a nearby state's LS. I know that schools in OK have a thing where they'll give me a slight boos for being from NM (despite my state having a LS)... of course they also give it to TX, CO, AK, and KS (I think... can't remember for sure, because I ain't going to school in effing OK).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”