Easier to get into JD/MBA than just JD?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jetsfan
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Easier to get into JD/MBA than just JD?

Postby jetsfan » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:16 am

I was wondering if it's easier to get in if I apply to the combined degree program. It would seem to me that there is absolutely no way it's easier and probably like 10 times harder, but for some reason, my dad seems to think it would help my admission chances to apply for the combined degree. Thoughts? Does it depend on the school?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Easier to get into JD/MBA than just JD?

Postby im_blue » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:33 am

There's no way JD/MBA is easier than JD alone. If anything, it might be harder at many places since you have to get into both programs independently.

Army2Law
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Easier to get into JD/MBA than just JD?

Postby Army2Law » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:50 am

Not even close. I had a 740 GMAT and got dinged at the B Schools I applied to with the goal of getting a JD/MBA even though I got WL'd and Accepted at the Law Schools with a 167.

User avatar
hellojd
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Re: Easier to get into JD/MBA than just JD?

Postby hellojd » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:04 pm

Army2Law wrote:Not even close. I had a 740 GMAT and got dinged at the B Schools I applied to with the goal of getting a JD/MBA even though I got WL'd and Accepted at the Law Schools with a 167.


Ya, it's not like TLS where you can state gpa / lsat and determine how likely you are to get in.

740 gmat won't get you far without good WE, good undergrad institution, good GPA, good interview, etc. etc.

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Easier to get into JD/MBA than just JD?

Postby T6Hopeful » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:07 pm

hellojd wrote:
Army2Law wrote:Not even close. I had a 740 GMAT and got dinged at the B Schools I applied to with the goal of getting a JD/MBA even though I got WL'd and Accepted at the Law Schools with a 167.


Ya, it's not like TLS where you can state gpa / lsat and determine how likely you are to get in.

740 gmat won't get you far without good WE, good undergrad institution, good GPA, good interview, etc. etc.


+1. Plus even if you do somehow get in without WE, this could be detrimental to you career-wise, if only for the fact that people will discount your MBA for not having had work experience before hand, and then some people may intend to think that your JD was "rushed" in some way because you combined it with another degree. Of course, I'm still a 0L, but it doesn't make sense to me to even apply for something that wouldn't really benefit me. HTH.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Easier to get into JD/MBA than just JD?

Postby bdubs » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:18 pm

jetsfan wrote:I was wondering if it's easier to get in if I apply to the combined degree program. It would seem to me that there is absolutely no way it's easier and probably like 10 times harder, but for some reason, my dad seems to think it would help my admission chances to apply for the combined degree. Thoughts? Does it depend on the school?


If you are a good candidate for an MBA from a top school but not a good candidate for a top law school (e.g. terrible GPA). Why do you want to go to law school?

I can see a few instances where the business school at a given university is substantially better and may help you to back door into their law school, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

Army2Law
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Easier to get into JD/MBA than just JD?

Postby Army2Law » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:26 pm

B school admissions are even more brutal ITE than law school admissions because people who would normally stay in the workforce because they are content with their career are either getting let go from their jobs or deciding that now is a good time to go back to school and get an MBA since they feel a lack of job security anyway. B school admissions are a lot more holistic than law school admissions and you need to have a really good reason for wanting both degrees to make a B school not think they are wasting an admission slot on you. Work experience is definitely the name of the game for getting into a good MBA program. Plus, B school apps are usually 3-4 times more expensive than law school apps and a way bigger hassle to complete than law school apps since they have 3+ essay questions that are generally more or less school specific.

PubbyMcGee
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Re: Easier to get into JD/MBA than just JD?

Postby PubbyMcGee » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Does all of the above advice apply the same to the JD/MAcc program?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Christinabruin, HuntedUnicorn, m052310, Monday, smile0751 and 6 guests