Why Vanderbilt for Borderline App

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
potteryschmottery
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:34 am

Why Vanderbilt for Borderline App

Postby potteryschmottery » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:44 am

About to apply to Vandy. I was an idiot and missed the interview deadline, but Vandy is one of my top choices. I noticed Vandy doesn't have any info suggesting that you can add additional essays. On top of that, I love the school but don't really have any interesting or specific reasons why I'd want to go there other than the obvious.

Should I add a "Why Vanderbilt" essay to maximize my chances?
Last edited by potteryschmottery on Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DreamShake
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Re: Why Vanderbilt for Borderline App

Postby DreamShake » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:12 am

No. Your odds are already quite good: http://vanderbilt.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/ No need to risk messing up those odds with a WhyVandy that doesn't seem particularly inspired.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Why Vanderbilt for Borderline App

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:21 am

Shouldn't matter. Someone on TLS last cycle who didn't interview because he missed the deadline with a 168/3.7 got into Vandy with $$.

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Why Vanderbilt for Borderline App

Postby ATR » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:26 am

I've read that Vandy's median LSAT is up to 169... maybe the Why Vanderbilt won't hurt?

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Why Vanderbilt for Borderline App

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:32 am

atresia wrote:I've read that Vandy's median LSAT is up to 169... maybe the Why Vanderbilt won't hurt?


Yeah it's weird. If one only looked at Vandy's LSN from last year it looks like median LSAT would be a 168.

potteryschmottery
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:34 am

Re: Why Vanderbilt for Borderline App

Postby potteryschmottery » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:42 am

Thanks for the responses.

I've tried writing the essay 2-3 times, but each time the result definitely feels uninspired. I guess I just have a problem with Why essays in general. For the average applicant, what appeals to them at the school other than stuff you can read about on the website? Maybe my standards for the essay are too high.

Even if it is uninspired to an extent, can it help my chances by showing interest (i.e. taking the time to write a separate essay for them)?

DreamShake
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Re: Why Vanderbilt for Borderline App

Postby DreamShake » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:55 am

potteryschmottery wrote:Thanks for the responses.

I've tried writing the essay 2-3 times, but each time the result definitely feels uninspired. I guess I just have a problem with Why essays in general. For the average applicant, what appeals to them at the school other than stuff you can read about on the website? Maybe my standards for the essay are too high.

Even if it is uninspired to an extent, can it help my chances by showing interest (i.e. taking the time to write a separate essay for them)?


I'll reiterate: it's not worth sending an essay that potentially comes off as uninspired and generic. Adcomms have stated this repeatedly in interviews. If you're determined, though, I suggest writing about things peculiar to Vandy (what those are, I have no clue). For example, in my WhyMich, I talked about gaining practical experience w/Michigan's extra year of representing people in clinics, referenced one of Dean Z's blog posts (from almost a year ago), etc. There are a lot of things you can talk about--unique clinical opportunities, specific professors, even the opportunity to save money by living with family in the area. Just don't be trite, and don't claim to have an interest in something that doesn't appear anywhere else in your app.

potteryschmottery
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:34 am

Re: Why Vanderbilt for Borderline App

Postby potteryschmottery » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:33 pm

The big factors I can think of if I'm going to be completely honest are (aside from prestige and job placement) a clinic I like and the warm weather. Would this be enough if well written?

User avatar
obrienfa
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: Why Vanderbilt for Borderline App

Postby obrienfa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:00 pm

potteryschmottery wrote:The big factors I can think of if I'm going to be completely honest are (aside from prestige and job placement) a clinic I like and the warm weather. Would this be enough if well written?


I would talk about the clinic for sure, but maybe leave out the weather? I don't know, it just doesn't make sense to me to write about how Nashville is warmer than where ever you are coming from.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Milksteak, S_annora, Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests