"Decision Rendered"?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ISTAND

"Decision Rendered"?

Postby ISTAND » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:07 pm

I applied to my first law school ever 8 days ago. I checked the status on their website and it says Decision Rendered. Is it a red flag if they decide so fast? Also does that mean they've mailed the letter already or is there a different status it changes to for that?

arism87

Re: "Decision Rendered"?

Postby arism87 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:08 pm

ISTAND wrote:I applied to my first law school ever 8 days ago. I checked the status on their website and it says Decision Rendered. Is it a red flag if they decide so fast? Also does that mean they've mailed the letter already or is there a different status it changes to for that?

Depends on the school- what school?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:09 pm

arism87 wrote:
ISTAND wrote:I applied to my first law school ever 8 days ago. I checked the status on their website and it says Decision Rendered. Is it a red flag if they decide so fast? Also does that mean they've mailed the letter already or is there a different status it changes to for that?

And what are your numbers?

lol

pwyoung

Postby pwyoung » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:23 pm

We can't really tell you unless we know where you'd fall at the school. If you're woefully below what you'd expect, then you're probably boned, but if you're above, it's possibly a really BA sign.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:25 pm

arism87 wrote:

Do you think it makes a difference whether the school is in the top or bottom tier? It's not in the very top but another that is which I applied to 5 days ago went from complete to In Review today and I'm reading others took 6 weeks just to change to complete for them and they're still not in review. I don't want to name that school in case it will upset those still waiting but to get a decision so fast I'm thinking isn't so good.
Last edited by ISTAND on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:25 pm

ISTAND wrote:
arism87 wrote:

Do you think it makes a difference whether the school is in the top or bottom tier? It's not in the very top but another that is which I applied to on 5 days ago went from complete to In Review today and I'm reading others took 6 weeks just to change to complete for them and they're still not in review. I don't want to name that school in case it will upset those still waiting but to get a decision so fast I'm thinking isn't so good.

Your choice but no, I wasn't asking about the tier. Some schools are only sending out acceptances, some both.

Edit: The more I think about this, the more the school might not be that important, either. With the schools I applied to lately it is, but in general, your numbers relative to the medians are probably more relevant at almost all schools :)
Last edited by arism87 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:29 pm

arism87 wrote:
ISTAND wrote:
arism87 wrote:Your choice but no, I wasn't asking about the tier. Some schools are only sending out acceptances, some both.

Oh I see I thought all schools mail decline letters as well.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:30 pm

ISTAND wrote:
arism87 wrote:
ISTAND wrote:
arism87 wrote:Your choice but no, I wasn't asking about the tier. Some schools are only sending out acceptances, some both.

Oh I see I thought all schools mail decline letters as well.

They do but many of the ones I've applied to at least (see my edit above) won't send those until much later.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:38 pm

If you want more help but don't want to reveal your numbers/school, atleast tell us where you fall with regard to 25th/median/75th for GPA and LSAT.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:39 pm

arism87 wrote:
They do but many of the ones I've applied to at least (see my edit above) won't send those until much later.

Ohhh got it :)

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:03 am

Probably an autoreject or an autoadmit kind of thing. You should know where you stand.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:50 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Probably an autoreject or an autoadmit kind of thing. You should know where you stand.

I thought I'd update my post. The school sent the status checker Dec. 1st and updated to decision rendered on the 3rd and on the 4th I received a rejection letter in the mail. I've lost all hope and think my application must look awful, am preparing myself mentally to receive the rest of the rejections :(. It sucks that they never received my strongest LOR based on lsac status so maybe that'll make a difference with the other schools.

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:58 am

ISTAND wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Probably an autoreject or an autoadmit kind of thing. You should know where you stand.

I thought I'd update my post. The school sent the status checker Dec. 1st and updated to decision rendered on the 3rd and on the 4th I received a rejection letter in the mail. I've lost all hope and think my application must look awful, am preparing myself mentally to receive the rest of the rejections :(. It sucks that they never received my strongest LOR based on lsac status so maybe that'll make a difference with the other schools.

Did you expect to get into this school? Did you have good numbers?

You should be able to predict where you'll get in based on admission statistics.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:09 am

Based on their website my gpa was above their average range, my LSAT a little lower but had good softs. I really thought I'd get in here but the fact that I'm still in review with the others is giving me some hope, wish I had scheduled to retake the LSAT before sending my apps, didn't think it would be an issue but now I'm nervous.
Last edited by ISTAND on Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:10 am

You've applied to some safety schools, right?

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:13 am

No, just 5 of my favs I really want to get into. My life will be ruined if I don't get in to any of those. Four more to go, am scared now.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:15 am

ISTAND wrote:Based on their website my gpa was above their average range, my LSAT a little lower but had good softs. I really thought I'd get in here but the fact that I'm still in review with the others is giving me some hope, wish I had scheduled to retake the LSAT before sending my apps, didn't think it would be an issue but now I'm nervous.

So above GPA median but below their LSAT median? I wouldn't be worried about your app. Those numbers put you out of the running pretty quickly depending on how low the LSAT was.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:22 am

I thought speaking 5 languages plus international work experience among other softs would carry me over the hump but now I realize it's all about the LSAT. Oh well now I know from experience. It doesn't sink in to hear it from third parties.

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:32 am

ISTAND wrote:I thought speaking 5 languages plus international work experience among other softs would carry me over the hump but now I realize it's all about the LSAT. Oh well now I know from experience. It doesn't sink in to hear it from third parties.

It really is all about the LSAT, and gpa to a lesser extent. Softs only matter so much. I hope you get into the other schools.

ISTAND

Postby ISTAND » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:37 am

Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”