Need to explain absurdly deflated GPA curve?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ryukpark

Need to explain absurdly deflated GPA curve?

Postby ryukpark » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi there, I am an international JD applicant.

It's been a while since I graduated from college, and back then the GPA curves were insanely deflated.

I got a "mediocre" GPA of 3.3 and yet this puts me at the top 11% of the class. (Engineering major)

The median, as far as I know was somewhere between 2.5~2.7, which is like almost a whole point lower than the norm these days.

While I have sort of mentioned this fact in my resume (i.e. GPA: 3.3 (class rank: 89%)) and already completed all application materials,

would it help to send additional letters to explicitly explain the circumstances?

Is there any way to persuade the AdComs to take the circumstances into consideration, especially for the upper T14 schools?

BTW. My LSAT is 174, and have 6 yrs. of work experience. (i.e. out of school for 6 yrs)

Would really appreciate any advice.

Nom Sawyer

Re: Need to explain absurdly deflated GPA curve?

Postby Nom Sawyer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:13 pm

Is your school a US college or International? If its international they won't actually count your GPA against others... but definitely still include the stuff about how you were ranked in the top 11% of your class of course.

pwyoung

Postby pwyoung » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:25 pm

Your LSAT and work experience are definitely going to bail you out.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:20 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:Is your school a US college or International? If its international they won't actually count your GPA against others... but definitely still include the stuff about how you were ranked in the top 11% of your class of course.

TITCR.

ryukpark

Postby ryukpark » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:33 am

Thanks a lot.

I attended college in South Korea.
Last edited by ryukpark on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:35 am

ryukpark wrote:I attended college in South Korea.

I'm lol also! Which college? Seoul? Yonsei?

Also I wouldn't worry about it much. International students GPA's don't matter much and they will see your class rank etc.
Last edited by whymeohgodno on Fri May 06, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:41 am

Then you're fine... Law schools will only look at your LSAT as the main factor. They will look at your GPA in terms of quality of institution, which seems like you should have a strong application.

Congrats, especially with Seoul Univ. you should have no problem getting T14 schools
Last edited by Nom Sawyer on Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ryukpark

Postby ryukpark » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:54 am

whymeohgodno wrote:

I'm Korean also! Which college? Seoul? Yonsei?

Also I wouldn't worry about it much. International students GPA's don't matter much and they will see your class rank etc.

Seoul National University.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:02 am

how did you cheat on the lsat?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:03 am

$1.99 wrote:how did you cheat on the lsat?

Lol - but I'm not surprised by his LSAT score. Seoul is the #1 University in Korea and the competition to get in is insane.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:32 am

whoah, what do you mean they don't count your gpa against others? 2 questions:

1. does this mean gpa is not weighed against school medians (i.e. doesn't count to their lsac median)?

2. is canada a foreign school?

c'mon, blow my mind with some good news that my sweet LSAT might make up for my harsh grading curve.

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:35 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:

Then you're fine... Law schools will only look at your LSAT as the main factor. They will look at your GPA in terms of quality of institution, which seems like you should have a strong application.

Congrats, especially with Seoul Univ. you should have no problem getting T14 schools

Yeah, and your LSAT is awesome. Congrats!

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:47 am

Saltqjibo wrote:whoah, what do you mean they don't count your gpa against others? 2 questions:

1. does this mean gpa is not weighed against school medians (i.e. doesn't count to their lsac median)?

c'mon, blow my mind with some good news that my sweet LSAT might make up for my harsh grading curve.

Yeah. IIRC, instead of an LSDAS GPA, international transcripts get qualitative summaries, like "exemplary." OP, I'd be sure to mention that your university is the tops in your country (although in a discreet, non-braggart fashion).

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:01 am

Saltqjibo wrote:whoah, what do you mean they don't count your gpa against others? 2 questions:

Not for Canadian GPA's I believe. Sucks.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:28 am

DreamShake wrote:

Yeah. IIRC, instead of an LSDAS GPA, international transcripts get qualitative summaries, like "exemplary." OP, I'd be sure to mention that your university is the tops in your country (although in a discreet, non-braggart fashion).

1. True

EXCEPT FOR

2. Canada GPA's are always viewed exactly like American University GPA's... its the one exception so sadly, you'll have the exact same treatment as US Students.

I have heard that CA Law Schools will count only your 3 best years towards your GPA so you might want to look into that.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:59 am

Nom Sawyer wrote:
DreamShake wrote:

1. True

EXCEPT FOR

2. Canada GPA's are always viewed exactly like American University GPA's... its the one exception so sadly, you'll have the exact same treatment as US Students.

I have heard that CA Law Schools will count only your 3 best years towards your GPA so you might want to look into that.

Whoops, I totally didn't even read part 2, haha. As others have stated, Canadian GPA's do transfer.

ryukpark

Postby ryukpark » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:02 am

$1.99 wrote:how did you cheat on the lsat?

That's classified information! 8)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”