Georgetown PT and Work Experience Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ATR

Silver

Georgetown PT and Work Experience

Post by ATR » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:41 pm

As someone going straight from UG to law school, I've been thinking about work experience and OCI. As it stands, I have a ....... (pending a December retake). Would PT Georgetown be a decent option for me, assuming my LSAT doesn't increase but a few points? I would obviously work full-time and take evening classes, which would theoretically make me more competitive during OCI.

Is this a bad idea? What are the drawbacks of being a PT student? Do I have a realistic chance at admission? My GPA's well above the PT's 75%, but the median LSAT is 165.
Last edited by ATR on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Gold

Re: Georgetown PT and Work Experience

Post by bdubs » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:49 pm

atresia wrote:As someone going straight from UG to law school, I've been thinking about work experience and OCI. As it stands, I have a 3.89/164 (pending a December retake). Would PT Georgetown be a decent option for me, assuming my LSAT doesn't increase but a few points? I would obviously work full-time and take evening classes, which would theoretically make me more competitive during OCI.

Is this a bad idea? What are the drawbacks of being a PT student? Do I have a realistic chance at admission? My GPA's well above the PT's 75%, but the median LSAT is 165.
You don't want to work full time, even as a PT student.

The course load isn't that much lighter than the full time, it used to be a way to back door people they liked into the full time program if they didn't have the numbers. Don't know what the deal is now, but it seems somewhat similar. There will definitely be people who are working and doing PT, but I doubt you would be lonely as a straight through.

Drawbacks - I don't think you can transfer if you do well, since you won't have a full set of 1L credits.

Zindras

New

Post by Zindras » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:07 pm

bdubs wrote:
atresia wrote:As someone going straight from UG to law school, I've been thinking about work experience and OCI. As it stands, I have a 3.89/164 (pending a December retake). Would PT Georgetown be a decent option for me, assuming my LSAT doesn't increase but a few points? I would obviously work full-time and take evening classes, which would theoretically make me more competitive during OCI.

You don't want to work full time, even as a PT student.

The course load isn't that much lighter than the full time, it used to be a way to back door people they liked into the full time program if they didn't have the numbers. Don't know what the deal is now, but it seems somewhat similar. There will definitely be people who are working and doing PT, but I doubt you would be lonely as a straight through.

Drawbacks - I don't think you can transfer if you do well, since you won't have a full set of 1L credits.
I work full time while doing the part time program. I haven't gone through exams yet but I feel like it's pretty manageable.

Also, SBA sent an email out tonight - it looks like they're planning on (1) cutting the part time program from 130 to 80 students and (2) lightening the first-year course load. (2) might make it more difficult to transfer into the full-time division after your first year, but I don't know.

The full email is below.

3. Changes to the Evening and Day Divisions. As you probably know, Georgetown Law already boasts the #1 Evening Program in the Country. This week, faculty approved a proposal to make the Evening Program even stronger. Under the proposal, next year’s §7 will go from about 130 students (currently the largest of the sections) to about 80, and its small sections will also decrease in size from about 33 to 27 students per. To make the program more attractive to working students, the course load will also decrease from 24.0 credits to 20.0., and Friday classes will be eliminated for 1Es. Day sections will also be getting smaller next year, as the faculty approved a measure to add a new §5 to the current four day sections. Thus, each section will drop from about 115/120 students to around 100 students. The overall size of next year’s Day and Evening sections combined won’t change (only the distribution) and these changes won’t affect any current students. To get the full text of the proposal, click here.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:14 pm

Zindras wrote:I work full time while doing the part time program. I haven't gone through exams yet but I feel like it's pretty manageable.

Also, SBA sent an email out tonight - it looks like they're planning on (1) cutting the part time program from 130 to 80 students and (2) lightening the first-year course load. (2) might make it more difficult to transfer into the full-time division after your first year, but I don't know.

The full email is below.

3. Changes to the Evening and Day Divisions. As you probably know, Georgetown Law already boasts the #1 Evening Program in the Country. This week, faculty approved a proposal to make the Evening Program even stronger. Under the proposal, next year’s §7 will go from about 130 students (currently the largest of the sections) to about 80, and its small sections will also decrease in size from about 33 to 27 students per. To make the program more attractive to working students, the course load will also decrease from 24.0 credits to 20.0., and Friday classes will be eliminated for 1Es. Day sections will also be getting smaller next year, as the faculty approved a measure to add a new §5 to the current four day sections. Thus, each section will drop from about 115/120 students to around 100 students. The overall size of next year’s Day and Evening sections combined won’t change (only the distribution) and these changes won’t affect any current students. To get the full text of the proposal, click here.
I'm sure some people in the Georgetown pending thread would like to hear about that. Certainly doesn't bode quite as well for those who thought they had the numbers to get into PT but not FT.

OP: All of my knowledge is/was second hand from a few people I have known who did PT->FT or FT at GULC. I would listen to what Zindras has to say since s/he is a current 1L in the program.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Zindras, can you share your experience? I'm interested in your thoughts on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OrdinarilySkilled

Bronze

Post by OrdinarilySkilled » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:30 pm

I've spoken to admissions about the part time program as well - 1 additional note that they said was that they also voted to make it more difficult to switch from PT to FT after your first year - something that may be of interest for those looking to backdoor into the FT.
Edit: Oops guy above said this too.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:19 am

Not necessarily looking to "backdoor" to FT - I kind of want to make some money while taking classes. If I have better options, I'll take those, but this is something I'm considering/interested in at the moment.

Zindras

New

Post by Zindras » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:31 am

atresia wrote:Zindras, can you share your experience? I'm interested in your thoughts on it.
This is my weekday schedule:

8am-5:30pm Work
5:45-7:45pm Class
7:45-8:50pm LRW (two nights a week)
Study the rest of the night.

... and then I'm in the library every Saturday and Sunday for 8-12 hours a day.

It looks scarier when I type it out, but it's not so bad. And if the above changes go through, you'll only have class 4 nights a week.

Really, the most rewarding things about the part-time program have been (1) learning time management skills and (2) putting long workweeks in perspective. If you stick to a schedule, you won't fall behind - those who work full-time tend to be the best prepared for class.

Also, extracurriculars and events are open to all students. You probably won't be rushing out of work at 4pm to see Joseph Glannon give a speech, but you could.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:25 pm

Wow, that does seem intense on first glance... thanks for the information! I'll definitely be considering the program, pending my retake, of course (and whether I can find work in DC).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:30 pm

From the direction GULC is going with last year's accepted/rejected numbers and this year's accepted/rejected numbers, it looks like you don't stand much of a chance anymore at GULC PT unless you have FT numbers.

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:00 pm

I went by law school predictor, which told me I was Consider for Georgetown PT.. but something in my head tells me that LSP is pretty wrong in this case and I have no chance (3.42 / 165). Add in these changes for next year and I'm even more screwed. Anyone care to confirm my view?

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:26 pm

champ33 wrote:I went by law school predictor, which told me I was Consider for Georgetown PT.. but something in my head tells me that LSP is pretty wrong in this case and I have no chance (3.42 / 165). Add in these changes for next year and I'm even more screwed. Anyone care to confirm my view?
confirmed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”