WE as an intern: helpful/useless?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crumpetsandtea

WE as an intern: helpful/useless?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:53 pm

Someone mentioned on a past thread that post-grad WE as an unpaid intern is basically useless when it comes to giving you a boost on your apps. I'm job-hunting right now and I was considering applying to the DA's volunteer internship program. Ignoring issues of whether or not I can get in, is this true?

The Gentleman

Re: WE as an intern: helpful/useless?

Postby The Gentleman » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:01 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Someone mentioned on a past thread that post-grad WE as an unpaid intern is basically useless when it comes to giving you a boost on your apps. I'm job-hunting right now and I was considering applying to the DA's volunteer internship program. Ignoring issues of whether or not I can get in, is this true?

If you can't land a job, then interning at a DA's office sounds like a good plan. At the very least, you won't have a gap on your resume.

ATR

Postby ATR » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:26 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Someone mentioned on a past thread that post-grad WE as an unpaid intern is basically useless when it comes to giving you a boost on your apps. I'm job-hunting right now and I was considering applying to the DA's volunteer internship program. Ignoring issues of whether or not I can get in, is this true?

If you can't land a job, then interning at a DA's office sounds like a good plan. At the very least, you won't have a gap on your resume.

+1

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:45 pm

I don't know if it'll count as "WE" but it gives you the opportunity to be semi hands on with legal matters and see what kind of law you would like to pursue and make contacts. It also fills in your resume nicely and potentially gives you something to write a PS about.
Last edited by JJDancer on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:51 am

Another hypothetical--if it's between a paying job at a small firm in a type of law I'm NOT interested in vs. an unpaid internship, should I veer for the paying job?

Thanks for the help (:

eliekedourie

Postby eliekedourie » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:14 am

Get a paying job and support yourself. The full time paying work will look better to the schools at which you're applying and you'll learn a lot by actually having to support yourself.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:29 pm

eliekedourie wrote:Get a paying job and support yourself. The full time paying work will look better to the schools at which you're applying and you'll learn a lot by actually having to support yourself.

Thanks for the advice! I will probably go with the paying job in the end :\

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:40 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Another hypothetical--if it's between a paying job at a small firm in a type of law I'm NOT interested in vs. an unpaid internship, should I veer for the paying job?

Thanks for the help (:

Paying job, UNLESS the unpaid internship is at your dream place of employment and they have track records of taking people for employment that were once interns.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”