Summer institutes to help admissions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Wurmtoken

Summer institutes to help admissions

Postby Wurmtoken » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:45 pm

I have heard of some schools that have these to help the admissions process if for some reason you have a low gpa or LSAT. Personally my GPA is terrible as I failed a lot of courses before I decided that I actually wanted to go to college. Since bad grades are permanent in the law school admissions process (even the ones that are older than 7 years) it continues to hurt me in my attempts to gain acceptance to law school. Currently I am searching for a comprehensive list of schools with Summer Institute programs and have not been able to find one. If anyone knows of them, or has a link to share that would be great.

This is the first one I have found -

http://law.slu.edu/admissions/programs/summer.html

TOMaHULK

Re: Summer institutes to help admissions

Postby TOMaHULK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Wurmtoken wrote:I have heard of some schools that have these to help the admissions process if for some reason you have a low gpa or LSAT. Personally my GPA is terrible as I failed a lot of courses before I decided that I actually wanted to go to college. Since bad grades are permanent in the law school admissions process (even the ones that are older than 7 years) it continues to hurt me in my attempts to gain acceptance to law school. Currently I am searching for a comprehensive list of schools with Summer Institute programs and have not been able to find one. If anyone knows of them, or has a link to share that would be great.

This is the first one I have found -

http://law.slu.edu/admissions/programs/summer.html

A lot of schools offer something similar to this. They call them a bunch of different names, generally related to that of their school, etc.

I was thinking about this earlier too. Basically, what if I'm not flat out accepted into a reach school, but they give me this opportunity? My final verdict: If you really want to go to that school then do it. When/if you graduate from there, there'll probably be no mention of it on your record other than JD awarded.

Now, with that in mind, I think a few "for profit" schools may use these types of programs to extract money from students who are in a rough spot, only to shuffle them out at the end of the problem. All of this is only my opinion of course. Again, I'd say that if you want to go to the school, then do it. You'll be a few hours ahead of others and what is a month or 2 month program gonna hurt ya? :?

Wurmtoken

Postby Wurmtoken » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:13 pm

I agree with you. Law school is a bunch of work so whats a little more to get into the school you want to get into? You know of any schools that have this with a guarantee to get in if you do well?

I found that St. Mary's has one but its by invitation only -

http://www.stmarytx.edu/law/index.php?s ... mmerSkills

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:55 pm

Wurmtoken wrote:I agree with you. Law school is a bunch of work so whats a little more to get into the school you want to get into? You know of any schools that have this with a guarantee to get in if you do well?

I found that St. Mary's has one but its by invitation only -

http://www.stmarytx.edu/law/index.php?s ... mmerSkills

Ha-The schools that I'm applying to are probably not of interest to you :roll: (note:Not "TOP" law schools), so I only know of some of their programs. I've read on several of their websites that they review at the end of the course to determine if you're admitted full time. On other websites I've seen that if you maintain a B average in the two courses, you're in.

I understand why schools offer this because it's a chance to make more money. I know that most of these programs require the student to pay out of pocket, because there's no fin aid available at that point (too soon to get fall aid for the summer courses).

I think FIU has something called a CLEO program. I know Barry has a program. Same with Florida Coastal. <---These are just schools I remember off the top of my head.

Wurmtoken

Postby Wurmtoken » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:00 pm

"Ha-The schools that I'm applying to are probably not of interest to you" Everyone strokes their E-peen online.

As for the info on the schools that you mentioned thanks. I have the marks for a tier 4, that part was never in doubt, I was just hoping a tier 2 or a reputable school would have such a program so I could show them I belong there and jump up the rankings. Apparently only tier 4's have these programs?

I am also surprised by the lack on information on this topic.

The assumption is then that reputable schools probably get so many applications that they don't need to do anything special to hit their student quotas.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:14 pm

Wurmtoken wrote:"Ha-The schools that I'm applying to are probably not of interest to you" Everyone strokes their E-peen online.

As for the info on the schools that you mentioned thanks. I have the marks for a tier 4, that part was never in doubt, I was just hoping a tier 2 or a reputable school would have such a program so I could show them I belong there and jump up the rankings. Apparently only tier 4's have these programs?

I am also surprised by the lack on information on this topic.

The assumption is then that reputable schools probably get so many applications that they don't need to do anything special to hit their student quotas.

I just wanted to make it clear that I meant to suggest that the schools I'm considering, suck in comparission to other TLS members. LOL-definetely not the other way around. From rereading my above statement, I don't know if that was clear.

I think you're right. Because if someone didn't get into a TT, then TTT's could be options, and then if not TTT's, then TTTT's are an option. If not into a TTTT, then these programs are the only option or no law school for you. Makes sense.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:26 am

TOMaHULK wrote:
Wurmtoken wrote:". If not into a TTTT, then these programs are the only option or no law school for you. Makes sense.

Egregious Cooley trolling.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:44 am

txadv11 wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:
Wurmtoken wrote:". If not into a TTTT, then these programs are the only option or no law school for you. Makes sense.

Egregious Cooley trolling.

HUH? :roll:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”