"Values/skills of a good lawyer" essay

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gmreplay

"Values/skills of a good lawyer" essay

Postby gmreplay » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:58 pm

I'm trying to write the values/skills of a good lawyer essay for Michigan, but I can't help but feeling that the values I've chosen to write on (e.g. dedication to justice) are coming across as hackneyed. Does anyone have an example of this essay or some tips on writing on this topic?

sarahh

Re: "Values/skills of a good lawyer" essay

Postby sarahh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:45 pm

I would just go with the Why Mich essay.

gmreplay

Postby gmreplay » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:48 pm

sarahh wrote:I would just go with the Why Mich essay.

They ask for 1-2. You don't think I would benefit from writing a second one?

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:53 pm

gmreplay wrote:
sarahh wrote:I would just go with the Why Mich essay.

They ask for 1-2. You don't think I would benefit from writing a second one?

It can't hurt. I didn't write a Why Mich, but I did write this one and got in. I wouldn't go writing about what you mentioned though. PM if you want to discuss.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:53 pm

gmreplay wrote:I'm trying to write the values/skills of a good lawyer essay for Michigan, but I can't help but feeling that the values I've chosen to write on (e.g. dedication to justice) are coming across as hackneyed. Does anyone have an example of this essay or some tips on writing on this topic?

You would need to have demonstrated pretty convincingly a dedication to justice to make that work without sounding hackneyed.

You have 6 other options, try outlining one or two others to see if you like them better.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:59 pm

I got in just doing the Why Mich one. I think that is the one they care about the most. If you want to do essay six, I would keep in mind the part that part of the question asks about which of the traits you possess and use it as an opportunity to highlight your positive attributes.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:00 pm

gmreplay wrote:I'm trying to write the values/skills of a good lawyer essay for Michigan, but I can't help but feeling that the values I've chosen to write on (e.g. dedication to justice) are coming across as hackneyed. Does anyone have an example of this essay or some tips on writing on this topic?

1. Models

2. Bottles

vaperera

Postby vaperera » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:05 pm

sarahh wrote:If you want to do essay six, I would keep in mind the part that part of the question asks about which of the traits you possess and use it as an opportunity to highlight your positive attributes.

Agreed, I got in writing only essay 6, no "why mich" essay. I picked a skill that I thought all good lawyers should have, and then gave a specific example of how I have been working hard to cultivate that exact skill.

I thinking writing about "dedication to justice" is a little bit abstract, you may want to pick something a bit more demonstrable that you can give solid examples for.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”